My PC is 11 years old. Upgrade suggestions?

Associate
Current specs:

- Case: Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
- Power Supply: Corsair TX 650w Corsair Power Supply
- CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz
- Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E LX Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
- 8GB RAM
- NVIDIA Gt 710 2 GB Passive Cooling Pci-E Graphics Card

It runs fine but can't play youtube vids @4K 60fps, and I definitely notice the difference in general every day use compared to the more powerful devices I use for work.

It's not used for gaming at all and It's hooked up to dual 27" monitors.

Can I keep the case and just upgrade mobo/cpu, RAM and GFX card? I want the pc to be as silent as possible - I swapped the gfx card from a ATI Radeon HD 5850 to the 710 because it was way too lound.

Any suggestions for upgrades? I don't want to break the bank doing this, if it's too expensive I'll just carry on with what I've got.

Soldato
Cheapest upgrade would be something like a Xeon X3450 which I can see going for £10 on the used sites as that would esentially double the thread count and add a bit more performance to your current PC.

If you want something a bit more modern and want to keep costs down then i'd recommend this.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £235.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

And maybe a cooler if you cant reuse your current one and + 1tb nvme to go with it if you don't already have an SSD.

Total: £92.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Last edited:
Associate
Can I keep the case and just upgrade mobo/cpu, RAM and GFX card?

Yes you can reuse the case. I would change the psu if its been going for 11 years , it has served you well and you got your monies worth out of it

Intel Alderlake is launched in just a few weeks so while it may not be great it should help push some other prices down. Because you are looking for an entire new system keep eye out for bundle deals but prices are normally held artificially high at this time of year in preparation for Black Friday.

The big problem you are going to have is getting a gpu , everyone is in the same situation and it sucks.

Soldato
It depends if you're looking for a long term upgrade, or a quick fix.

Long term, if you're not into gaming I'd be looking at an APU. The 650w should be fine as well. Something like a 5600G, a B550 motherboard with two monitor outputs and 2x16GB DDR4. That should be more than enough for another 10 years of non-gaming use.

However, that i5 isn't a particularly slow chip so you shouldn't have too much trouble in general use. You haven't mentioned your hard drive. If you're still using one, then moving to an SSD would make a big difference. Also, that 710 is likely the cause of your youtube issues.

So, if you just want a quick fix - an 1030 and a 1TB SSD should make quite a difference.

Associate
OP
Cheapest upgrade would be something like a Xeon X3450 which I can see going for £10 on the used sites as that would esentially double the thread count and add a bit more performance to your current PC.

If you want something a bit more modern and want to keep costs down then i'd recommend this.

Total: £235.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

And maybe a cooler if you cant reuse your current one and + 1tb nvme to go with it if you don't already have an SSD.

Total: £92.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Amazing. I've got the SSD already. How would the onboard graphics on that motherboard compare to my 710?

Soldato
Amazing. I've got the SSD already. How would the onboard graphics on that motherboard compare to my 710?
You would still need to use your GPU with this set up as the CPU doesn't have onboard, if you want the version of the CPU with onboard its quite a bit more expensive and also out of stock on OCUK.

Total: £128.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I'm not up to speed on what that means, can you explain? Sorry!
With Intel if the CPU has an F after its name then that means it doesn't include onboard graphics so needs a GPU, the CPUs without F all have onboard graphics. onboard graphics just means CPU has graphics cores built into the chip.​

Associate
Almost all Intel cpus have an IGP (Integrated graphics processor). Pretty sure your old i5 750 has an IGP as well.

I would be looking at a 5600g with B550 system and that would last you a good few years and when it starts to get slow you can hopefully just plug in a more modern gpu. They are also releasing a 5400g but that is going to be an OEM only part and would be perfect for your needs.

Alternatively , cheap laptop and HDMI cable.

Soldato
Almost all Intel cpus have an IGP (Integrated graphics processor). Pretty sure your old i5 750 has an IGP as well.

I would be looking at a 5600g with B550 system and that would last you a good few years and when it starts to get slow you can hopefully just plug in a more modern gpu. They are also releasing a 5400g but that is going to be an OEM only part and would be perfect for your needs.

The trouble with the 5600G is its £240 just for the CPU while also being vastly overkill for a day to day office machine and watching some vids on YouTube.

Associate
OP

I've got a Microsoft Surface laptop, not sure how I'd run 2 x 27" monitors off it though.

Associate
Yeah I agree it is overkill but will be great for years and with that performance at hand slotting in a more modern gpu in 5 years time is an option. AMD know they have excellent products and with the shortage of gpus they can charge what they like.

Is a real shame they are not going to release the 5400g ( or is it 5300g?) to us and keeping it as OEM only, Would be perfect for office pcs or sff low noise solutions.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice so far, much appreciated.

Just to confirm, would the onboard graphics of the non-F Intel CPU be better than my current 710? For example 4K Youtube.

Back
Top Bottom