Dental adverts

Caporegime
What is it with ads for toothbrushes and toothpaste?

Why are the people in them always grinning maniacally like they’ve just won the lottery while brushing their teeth, and why do they show them brushing their teeth without a gram of toothpaste on the brush?

Who comes up with the idea of “Ooh, let’s show everyone how good our new toothpaste is by showing someone brushing their teeth without using any of it at all”?

Utter madness.

I don't know the adverts (no TV here), but I feel there are too many toothpaste choices on the shelves. Health products should be regulated, so that for dentistry, only the products that are best for your teeth should be sold. By all means have the different brands available e.g. Aquafresh, Colgate, Oral-B, Crest and so on, but only allow the sale of their 'best' products to help save a bit of confusion. Then whichever brand you prefer is just cosmetic.

Soldato
I don't know the adverts (no TV here), but I feel there are too many toothpaste choices on the shelves. Health products should be regulated, so that for dentistry, only the products that are best for your teeth should be sold. By all means have the different brands available e.g. Aquafresh, Colgate, Oral-B, Crest and so on, but only allow the sale of their 'best' products to help save a bit of confusion. Then whichever brand you prefer is just cosmetic.
I think they only have one or two tooth paste options in North Korea.

Man of Honour

Why are the people in them always grinning maniacally like they’ve just won the lottery while brushing their teeth, and why do they show them brushing their teeth without a gram of toothpaste on the brush?

Who comes up with the idea of “Ooh, let’s show everyone how good our new toothpaste is by showing someone brushing their teeth without using any of it at all”?

Utter madness.

It's on a par with advertising sanitary towels with women dancing on beaches and runny blue dye. Advertising is not reality, even when it pretends it is.

Soldato
Why can't people in toothpaste ads get their lips to match the sounds they are making. Are they concentrating too much on brushing without toothpaste?

Man of Honour
What they need is someone brushing their teeth that ends in them wearing more toothpaste than they got on their teeth...or is that just me :o

Soldato
Before electric toothbrushes were widespread, the adverts used to show the toothpaste being liberally applied to the full length of the brush head of a manual toothbrush, whereas the instructions on the tube used to say use a pea sized amount! I've never trusted em.

Caporegime
I thought it was the opposite and they put a ridiculous amount of toothpaste on the brush to give the impression you need to use loads.
yet your supposed to use like a pea sized amount and the toothaste tubes always warn you not to brush more than twice a day.
most toothpastes are probably too abrasive and wreck your teeth

I didn't watch tv in years though

Soldato
And there's always a new and improved toothpaste version. We've definitely reached peak toothpaste, its is just the companies falsely reinventing the product to keep sales and interest up.

Soldato
It's on a par with advertising sanitary towels with women dancing on beaches and runny blue dye. Advertising is not reality, even when it pretends it is.
Wait you mean all women don't go to the beach and skydive to celebrate their monthly visitor?

And if it's not blue, what colour is it?

Next you'll be telling me babies' wee isn't blue either :rolleyes:

Soldato

Utter madness.
My partner gets really angry at the yoghurt adverts where it's somehow only on top of the spoon and the underside is perfectly clean. With a neat little side blob of fruity bit.

Man of Honour
What they need is someone brushing their teeth that ends in them wearing more toothpaste than they got on their teeth...or is that just me :o

Back in the olden days when I used a manual toothbrush, I soon learned how to brush my teeth without dribbling toothpaste. With an electric toothbrush, I always dribble some. I've no idea why there's a difference, but there is.

And there's always a new and improved toothpaste version. We've definitely reached peak toothpaste, its is just the companies falsely reinventing the product to keep sales and interest up.

And profit margins. New and improved toothpaste with extra scientific-sounding words in the advertising can be sold at triple the price of toothpaste without the extra scientific-sounding words in the advertising while costing about the same to make, package and distribute. Those extra scientific-sounding words do wonders for profit margins.

Oddly, my main gripe with toothpaste is the lack of choices in flavour. Other than some children's toothpaste, it's always mint. Maybe it's because I have a casual interest in high and late medieval English history and they had a far wider choice of flavours for oral hygeine products back then. Mostly what we'd consider herbs for flavouring food (which they were also used for back then).

Wait you mean all women don't go to the beach and skydive to celebrate their monthly visitor?

Weird, huh? Must be the cost. A quick look online shows prices ~£320 for a single jump from the maximum allowed altitude and of course that's what anyone would want for such a celebration. Add the cost of getting there and back and you're looking at ~£350 or more. That's going to be in the region of £4500 a year. Even the budget 10 second freefall option would be at least £2000 a year.

And if it's not blue, what colour is it?

Green, obviously. Mother Earth colour.

Next you'll be telling me babies' wee isn't blue either :rolleyes:

Nothing would surprise me with babies. They're weird.

My partner gets really angry at the yoghurt adverts where it's somehow only on top of the spoon and the underside is perfectly clean. With a neat little side blob of fruity bit.

I'd never noticed that. Now I will always notice it.

Man of Honour
Back in the olden days when I used a manual toothbrush, I soon learned how to brush my teeth without dribbling toothpaste. With an electric toothbrush, I always dribble some. I've no idea why there's a difference, but there is.
Same here manual I'm fine, electric I look like a plasterers radio some days :D

Back
Top Bottom