Faraday key blocking thingy

Associate
Hi

I'm getting a new car that has keyless entry and was looking at these signal blocking thingys.

I keep my keys in a drawer, so can just buy a box to keep them in.
My wife keeps her keys in her hangbag, I said about using a pouch in there, but she said she'll probably forget.
I've looked for something that would just fit round the key fob itself that you could slide the key out of to use the key, but I think that would stopped getting used.

My current ideas are :-
  1. Get new wife
  2. She keeps her hangbag in an Ikea Kallax cube, so I could line that with tin foil to create a homemade faraday cage.
  3. Don't to anything for either key and realise that what's insurance is there for.
Can anyone think of a solution?

Caporegime
Option 1 I think. Pics of wife?

In all seriousness stitch some blocking material to the inside of her handbag and make sure she puts the key in that?

Caporegime
You can get faraday handbags, problem solved. Plus will keep her cards safe as well.

And at home I have a box near the front door and all car keys go into the box.

Soldato
I keep both fobs for my car in a little faraday box, so I just grab my main set of keys/fob when I go out. It's easy for me, but if I wasn't the only person who used my car and/or I parked my car on a driveway or it was otherwise easily identifiable which house the car belonged to, so that it can be burgled for the keys, I don't think I'd bother.

Associate
Check that your new car doesn't have "sleepy" keys. A lot of manufacturers (although not all) now fit their keys with motion sensors that stops transmitting when the key isn't moving. I used to use a tin or pouch on previous cars, but my current car has the new sleepy keys.

Soldato
It’s almost certainly not the right attitude but i would t worry about it if your wife doesn’t want to play ball and isn’t this is what car insurance is for? It’s really not worth an argument over it and you can always roll out the ‘I told you so’ if it does happen.

I’d rather be the victim of a relay attack to the traditional methods where they would break in and threaten you with a knife/bat/hammer until you handover the keys. A few people needed up dead trying to fend off the crims.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to steal your car, they will find a way.

Caporegime
It’s almost certainly not the right attitude but i would t worry about it if your wife doesn’t want to play ball and isn’t this is what car insurance is for? It’s really not worth an argument over it and you can always roll out the ‘I told you so’ if it does happen.

I’d rather be the victim of a relay attack to the traditional methods where they would break in and threaten you with a knife/bat/hammer until you handover the keys. A few people needed up dead trying to fend off the crims.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to steal your car, they will find a way.

True but so easy for them to go to the front door and transmit the signal and steal your car. "most" of those criminals wouldn't then try and break into your house to steal your keys esp if you were in. Too much noise and much more likely to be spotted and the police rung. Plus just easier for them to move onto your neighbour who perhaps doesnt keep their keys in a faraday box.

Its like a place i used to work on an industrial estate where it was like fort knox with high perimeter fencing, electronic gates, floodlights, cctv, remote monitoring, speakers and a criss cross of beams across the yard. Visitors used to ask if the estate was bad for crime seeing all the defences. My boss used to answer no, never ever had any trouble as the criminals would pick an easier target on the estate on in the local area than to try to get into our place.

Plus with contactless cards I would always want a faraday purse/handbag as so easy to just scan your card details otherwise.

Soldato
Hi

I'm getting a new car that has keyless entry and was looking at these signal blocking thingys.

I keep my keys in a drawer, so can just buy a box to keep them in.
My wife keeps her keys in her hangbag, I said about using a pouch in there, but she said she'll probably forget.
I've looked for something that would just fit round the key fob itself that you could slide the key out of to use the key, but I think that would stopped getting used.

My current ideas are :-
  1. Get new wife
  2. She keeps her hangbag in an Ikea Kallax cube, so I could line that with tin foil to create a homemade faraday cage.
  3. Don't to anything for either key and realise that what's insurance is there for.
Can anyone think of a solution?
Just get the pouch and tell her not to forget to put the key in

Soldato
Keep her handbag away from the front door overnight. It terms of managing the risk I imagine most thefts are at night and rely on the key being near the door.

Soldato
with a relay attack can they initially triangulate the key location in the house from weak signal, and then,
put the real relay device at the closest point on external wall, that that identifies.

Soldato
with a relay attack can they initially triangulate the key location in the house from weak signal, and then,
put the real relay device at the closest point on external wall, that that identifies.
Well yeah, but only like, and if you imagine, adjusting the 'bunny ears' antennas on an old analogue television set until the signal is sufficiently strong enough.

Success is that the car opens. It needn't be anymore scientific. And given most folk leave their keys by the front door, it is worth a quick punt unless it is something extremely desirable to go further.

Soldato
Make me a very good offer for my bungalow and your problems will be solved.

It has Ash blocks on inside walls and I stuggle to get a wifi signal into the next room. :)

Soldato
I'd just code out keyless entry to be honest if the car didn't come with sleepy fobs. I've seen posts where people had their car nicked by relay theft even with their key in a faraday pouch, either because it was crap or damaged.

Associate
OP
I've gone for the foil lining the Kallax cube solution, at least that way the keyless opening and starting will still work when the hangbag is out of it.

Only real problem is knowing if it's working!!

Caporegime
I've gone for the foil lining the Kallax cube solution, at least that way the keyless opening and starting will still work when the hangbag is out of it.

Only real problem is knowing if it's working!!

Walk the box up to your car and see if you can open your car.

Soldato
What car is it?

I know my car (New Octavia) has sleep keys but you can also just turn the keyless entry off.

I just turned it off as I've had it on a car before and don't really see the point of it really, pressing a button on the key fob is no hardship.

Back
Top Bottom