Quake II RTX

Man of Honour
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but if anyone can help here it'll be much appreciated! Like DOOM where you can spawn enemies such as summon or summonfriend baron of hell is there anything of the sort for quake 2? I'd love to place monsters in the maps and have a go against them! :D

Not with the stock game - it is fairly easy to mod in if you have any coding skill.

Soldato
Quake 2, that is a blast from the past. I remember playing it in school in the IT class during break times. it was all rigged up so we could play death matches.
Used to shout abuse at the campers sniping people with the Rail gun.

Man of Honour
There is an update coming soon with FSR support - you can build it yourself off the github but I had problems with doing it and due to other new features/changes a bit complicated.

Man of Honour
Next update should include masked textures/materials - which will allow for a range of effects in custom maps you can't really do now. As well as some other cool features. Hopefully at some point they include some kind of fog type effect so as to be able to really add atmosphere.

Soldato
Next update should include masked textures/materials - which will allow for a range of effects in custom maps you can't really do now. As well as some other cool features. Hopefully at some point they include some kind of fog type effect so as to be able to really add atmosphere.
The first good fog effect I can remember in a game was Unreal (the first)

Imagine Unreal RTX and the initial Castle flyby :eek:
I think my jaw would drop like when I was 14 watching Unreal at my friends house on a Voodoo GPU and 17" "massive" Iiyama CRT

Soldato
It was a friends dad who was / is quite well off. At the time I had onboard 2d graphics and a 15” crt

I would have been about 30 at the time. I have never stinted on monitors: my eyes are just too valuable. And I remember getting a Voodoo card when they first came out. Playing games with and without was like night and day.

Man of Honour
Dunno when the next update is planned but lots of nice changes on the way including support for FSR - I'm struggling for some reason to build the latest source release but given there are other changes to resource formats, etc. coming with it I'm not rushing until there is an official release.

Have to say I'm looking forward to this one as it will let me build some nice little tech tests of features not possible at the moment.

Man of Honour
Much as i enjoy Quake 2, I much prefer Doom. I do hope some genius comes up with a way to RT it.

The combat in Quake 2 is a bit lacking compared to Doom. I tried to spice it up a bit with modding but to achieve what I really wanted to do would mean ripping the entire monster code out and reimplementing from scratch as well as reworking the spawns on all maps.

Man of Honour
Combat is poor by modern standards, in fact it was already looking primitive just a year after release with the arrival of Unreal and Halflife which both have better AI.
The weapons are generally satisfying to use (except the rocket launcher) but they don't offer much challenge especially once you know the the levels and how to utilise choke points etc. I remember I used to give myself arbitrary challenges to make the game harder, i.e. play on the secret Hard+ skill level and ban myself from saving mid-level or using quads.

Maybe I ought to try Q2RTX sometime but I kinda feel what is the point compared to just playing a modern game with RTX.

Man of Honour
Yeah the only reason to play it really is for the RT tech demo - and even then the stock levels or any older level really which hasn't been created specially to show it off don't really do it justice.

I created a mod for myself with gameplay modifiers to make things a bit more interesting - some of the combinations of them can make things challenging though I've never taken the time to fully balance them especially in combination.

The vanilla game doesn't really hold up that well beyond the initial base levels with some clunky map design movement and flow wise without good layouts for combat, etc.

What really separated it for me from other games was the modding potential - there are many ways the engine itself was well ahead of its time.

Back
Top Bottom