OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Teachers in militant power trip non-shocker. There's a few good ones but generally they're shockingly bad and too wrapped up in some ulterior agenda they seem indoctrinated by and intent on pushing on kids. They'll pounce on anything to make them feel more significant than the piece of equipment that they are, on the production line that is our farcical education system.

/rant
Bizarre comment, being married to a teacher and friends with loads I don’t recognise this hideous stereotype in any of them!

Soldato
Most of the messages we've had so far are just reminders of events happening or requesting we bring things in, such as wellies. Mainly its pictures of the activities they've been doing, which is great but I do wonder how much time they have to spend taking pictures nowadays.

On a slightly related note... does anyone with kids in key stage 1 send their kids in with packed lunches? School meals are free in key stage one and our school provides at least 6 different meal options each day, yet there are a few parents who send their kids in with packed lunches as they don't like any of the options provided. Nothing to do with allergies.

Getting on my parenting high horse for a minute, I just can't help but think this is not a good thing to be doing so early. It's not as if the choices are limited or poor. Just today for example, the options are pasta and meatballs, vegetarian lasagne, chicken pie with mash and veg, jacket potato with choice of filling, ham sandwich and cheese sandwich.

Permabanned
We send our daughter with a packed lunch, shes a bit older (year 6), its not because the choice is particularly bad its because the food is often terrible and she doesn't like it. They literally have about 50p per child for food.

The school comms are on the whole fine, there are a few snotty messages now and again but nothing particularly rage inducing....just stuff like "dont park your crappy SUV in the way"

Soldato
Teachers in militant power trip non-shocker. There's a few good ones but generally they're shockingly bad and too wrapped up in some ulterior agenda they seem indoctrinated by and intent on pushing on kids. They'll pounce on anything to make them feel more significant than the piece of equipment that they are, on the production line that is our farcical education system.

/rant
Wow, what a pathetic comment to make about teachers.
Absolutely pathetic small minded view.

I've seen some teacher bashing dribble in my time, but that takes it to a new level.
You clearly have an absolute ZERO idea what a teacher does. I suggest you keep your silly little views to yourself in the future.

Soldato
Most of the messages we've had so far are just reminders of events happening or requesting we bring things in, such as wellies. Mainly its pictures of the activities they've been doing, which is great but I do wonder how much time they have to spend taking pictures nowadays.

On a slightly related note... does anyone with kids in key stage 1 send their kids in with packed lunches? School meals are free in key stage one and our school provides at least 6 different meal options each day, yet there are a few parents who send their kids in with packed lunches as they don't like any of the options provided. Nothing to do with allergies.

Getting on my parenting high horse for a minute, I just can't help but think this is not a good thing to be doing so early. It's not as if the choices are limited or poor. Just today for example, the options are pasta and meatballs, vegetarian lasagne, chicken pie with mash and veg, jacket potato with choice of filling, ham sandwich and cheese sandwich.
Yes, my youngest is a bit fussy so half the time he wants packup. Drives the mrs mad lol.

Don

In my case, our kids took packed lunch because we shared a hot meal at dinner time in the evening. If the kids had hot lunches, they should have a lighter meal in the evening.

Soldato
Wow, what a pathetic comment to make about teachers.
Absolutely pathetic small minded view.

I've seen some teacher bashing dribble in my time, but that takes it to a new level.
You clearly have an absolute ZERO idea what a teacher does. I suggest you keep your silly little views to yourself in the future.
OK teacher

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

/rant
My experience of (primary school age) teachers is that they all seem to mean well, are all generally lovely, but are just a bit dim. Harmless and frankly at primary age, the job is in childcare as much any other aspect.

Soldato
My experience of (primary school age) teachers is that they all seem to mean well, are all generally lovely, but are just a bit dim. Harmless and frankly at primary age, the job is in childcare as much any other aspect.
I concur. Primary teachers are child minders and secondary teachers tend to fit the stereotypes.

Soldato
Cool, let's leave children with Nursery Nurses until year 7. Then see what happens.

That's what your suggesting here.

More teacher bashing...

Go and try the job, you will be enlightened.

Caporegime
Haven’t got kids, but just watching something on telly and wondering.

Do any of you guys use reusable nappies for your babies? If so, is it an environment thing or a cost issue?

I can’t get my head around the washable nappies. Seems a really horrible job compared to the ease of disposable.

Soldato
Haven’t got kids, but just watching something on telly and wondering.

Do any of you guys use reusable nappies for your babies? If so, is it an environment thing or a cost issue?

I can’t get my head around the washable nappies. Seems a really horrible job compared to the ease of disposable.
Surely just like I, you were bought up on terry nappies?

I have friends that used them. Really young baby poo is super wet so it isn't as bad as it sounds to throw them in the washing machine. As they get older it is like scraping literal adult crap from a towel so not ideal.

As you said, the environmental impact of disposable was the main reason.

All there was when I was a kid and I grew up wiping my arse on cut up squares of news paper until I was about 10 yrs old when our financial circumstances improved.

Caporegime
Surely just like I, you were bought up on terry nappies?

I have friends that used them. Really young baby poo is super wet so it isn't as bad as it sounds to throw them in the washing machine. As they get older it is like scraping literal adult crap from a towel so not ideal.

As you said, the environmental impact of disposable was the main reason.
Yeah you’re right. I was born in 1980. Mum said I had washable for 3 months then disposables launched and she switched, much to the annoyance of my super tight dad, as they cost more.

Soldato

My youngest still qualifies but she has a packed lunch on a thursday as all her mates do (various allergies) so they sit together. I find giving them school dinners just broadens their horizons a bit when it comes to different meals. My youngest for eg wouldnt touch curry at home but she tried it at school and now she cant get enough.

Children arent born fussy eaters...its because they arent encouraged to try different things. School dinners for me especially if you can afford them are the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom