Do you post on work related forums?

Permabanned
Just curious as to whether people post on work related forums? I am a glorified mechanic and I rarely read the Motors forum, and have probably posted replies in there a maximum of three times. If I am out socially there's nothing more annoying than someone who knows what I do probing me about issues or modifications to their beloved car. I am out to enjoy myself, not to stay in "work" mode. am I alone in this? :)

Soldato
Very occasionally on stackoverflow ... but calling that a forum is quite a stretch.

To your other point: many people here will be the free computer fixer for friends and family. It just goes with the territory.

Soldato
God no. The official blurb is how the company is committed to blah blah and if anyone questioned that with their real names/employee number I don't think they'd stay in their job very long or at the very least they'd be called in for a lengthy chat with their line manager.

If you're talking about anonymous forums then sometimes depends if I'm interested or not same as anything else really but talking shop gets boring quickly as a rule.

Soldato
I do, but there isn't such a forum on OCUK, really.
Thing is, once people find out what company we work for, they will always have questions and comments for us, even when they know damn well we don't even work in the relevant sector of the industry, never mind the right department to resolve their issues.

Soldato
Nope. I used to but found it hard to switch off from work when at home.

This for me.

Also I found people argued a lot for the sake of it (even if you referenced documentation as a source). And when I wanted opinions on things there was no or little help so I wondered why I bothered and stopped.

Man of Honour
When I drove my own Black Cab I was on LTDF, (London Taxi Drivers Forum), but rarely posted.
I’m still registered there and occasionally log on to see what’s being said, but when Covid was keeping prospective fares at home during lockdown, and the affect of Uber eating into the trade, it was depressing reading
Every other post was from drivers who’d quit the game and were delivering for Asda etc., or were considering going to Dignitas in Switzerland and ending it all!

Man of Honour
Occasionally - I'll drop in now and again to catch up on anything which might be interesting or give a little help where I can but I'm careful not to get to a point where it is a regular thing.

Soldato
When I drove my own Black Cab I was on LTDF, (London Taxi Drivers Forum), but rarely posted.
I’m still registered there and occasionally log on to see what’s being said, but when Covid was keeping prospective fares at home during lockdown, and the affect of Uber eating into the trade, it was depressing reading
Every other post was from drivers who’d quit the game and were delivering for Asda etc., or were considering going to Dignitas in Switzerland and ending it all!
Always have been a dramatic lot :D

A bit like farmers, I've never seen a poor black cabbie :o

Man of Honour
Always have been a dramatic lot :D

A bit like farmers, I've never seen a poor black cabbie :o

I think we’ve done Tahiti and Buenos Aires for the last time now, but we’ll be in Punta Gorda FL or Padre Island TX again soon I hope.
I can’t say that I did bad when I was working the cab, and I’m hardly in the poor house yet, but I’m glad to be out of the game now ;)

Permabanned
OP
Car stuff has now seemingly migrated to Facebook and I do not gel with that medium. I used to be a prolific poster on a few car forums, partly because I enjoyed the places, and partly because it drew in a lot of customers, but now you can see the tumbleweed blowing between threads and the owners are spread on a plethora of Facebook sites or whatever you call them. Arguments erupted, especially if Americans have access, and sound advice backed by data is usurped by ignorant arrogance, and the desire for a cool look ("stance") whatever the resulting handling deterioration or excess tyre wear, and an industry in a constant upward spiral of ridiculous power figures using bent rolling road figures in a commercial need to be as good or better than the opposition , despite the figures all being risibly optimistic.

So I tend now to do a day's work, open a few beers and keep my head down, which is probably selfish as I regularly see and hear ludicrous advice blankly accepted as gospel by people who deserve a proper explanation of what's occurring, and why they are wasting hard earned money or ruining their nice cars.

I am relieved that I am not being berated for shying away from helping on car forums, I still maintain a fairly calm approach to those that phone for advice at reasonable times, bu typing out long (often unappreciated for the significant time element involved) discourses is now just too much hassle.

Conversely the times I have asked for guidance myself on computer or electronic forums, and received it from selfless, knowledgeable folk, shows me that bitter old fossils like myself are not endemic yet!
;)

Back
Top Bottom