*** Official October 18th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
Well, if we're getting 32 GPU cores I can see me being considerably poorer next month........

Likewise, I'm very keen to see what kind of performance and features Apple can offer in a high end Mx MacBook. Be interesting to see how it compares to Intel and Nvidia offerings in benchmarks.

Very tempted to replace both my old 13" MacBook and my desktop PC with a new 14" MacBook Pro. I can see these devices being incredibly popular if the specs match the rumours. It sounds like the perfect laptop for a lot of people.

Soldato
Likewise, I'm very keen to see what kind of performance and features Apple can offer in a high end Mx MacBook. Be interesting to see how it compares to Intel and Nvidia offerings in benchmarks.

Very tempted to replace both my old 13" MacBook and my desktop PC with a new 14" MacBook Pro. I can see these devices being incredibly popular if the specs match the rumours. It sounds like the perfect laptop for a lot of people.

It's very difficult to compare them to Nvidia just due to lack of benchmarking tools. Usually lots of extrapolation are involved by comparisons to AMD and then comparing with Nvidia, assuming A15 generation GPUs, at 32-cores, it will be close to mobile implementations of RTX 2080.

Don
M1 with 8 GPU cores seems to be at GTX1650 levels from my limited testing with games such as World of Warcraft and Dirt Rally, so yeah, GTX2080 mobile might be on the cards for 32 cores.
If that is the case, maybe more devs will start taking Mac gaming seriously.

Soldato
M1 with 8 GPU cores seems to be at GTX1650 levels from my limited testing with games such as World of Warcraft and Dirt Rally, so yeah, GTX2080 mobile might be on the cards for 32 cores.
If that is the case, maybe more devs will start taking Mac gaming seriously.

Apple needs to take it more seriously too, incentivising game developers to do AAA games for mac, or hell, make a game console with these chips and buy/bribe a few studios to make AAA games. It's been my long-standing prediction that Apple will release a game console, i.e. put one of these big GPU chips inside an Apple TV/Mac Mini chassis with a game controller and call it a game console. The CPU is already faster than consoles, and GPU is getting there too.

Man of Honour
Apple needs to take it more seriously too, incentivising game developers to do AAA games for mac, or hell, make a game console with these chips and buy/bribe a few studios to make AAA games. It's been my long-standing prediction that Apple will release a game console, i.e. put one of these big GPU chips inside an Apple TV/Mac Mini chassis with a game controller and call it a game console. The CPU is already faster than consoles, and GPU is getting there too.
Imagine that and if it's much cheaper than the competition too.

Soldato
I would really like to see a larger screen iMac today as I'd like to retire and replace my 27" iMac but I doubt it'll happen. I would think that'll be WWDC next year.

Soldato
Very tempted to replace both my old 13" MacBook and my desktop PC with a new 14" MacBook Pro.
I did this with my 16" MBP - don't regret it at all.
The 16 is more powerful than my desktop and my desktop was approaching an upgrade cycle and I just thought sod it, sold my 13 and replaced it with the 16 which is now my main workstation. No more faffing with renewing PC components.

Caveat - I still have the PC. I re-purposed it as my Sim Racing Rig since I all but gave up on getting a next gen console. As it's only racing games my PC will go for a good while longer - provided my 1080 doesn't pack in!

Caporegime
I wonder what the Pro Mac mini is. I think the last time I heard it mentioned it simply had more USB ports. :p I would love one though. The second best hardware I've owned (after my iPad mini) was an old G4 Mac mini. I like mini it seems.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Have Apple _really_ put the names of all the products in the YouTube livestream title?! Redesigned MacBook Pro, New AirPods, Pro Mac Mini! Bit of a schoolboy error there methinks...

Not from what I can see? Where are you looking?

Back
Top Bottom