RCA / Phono on new tv

Associate
Afternoon all, i know this is old technology using rca or phonos but for 1 reason we have to temporarily use this as a input on a new sony led tv

The only thing the tv has is a 3.5 or maybe 2.5mm jack, could i get a lead to convert from that connecton to rca in?

Also what size is that port on a tv 3.5 or 2.5?

Thanks

Commissario
If it's got a 3,5mm jack input then a stereo 3.5mm jack to 2x RCA is only a couple of pounds.

[edit]
As whitecrook says it's more likely to be a headphone out.

Unfortunately most TV's these days seem to forego anything other than hdmi, aerial and possibly network connectors, I had to set up a optical to RCA to get my tv to route through the PC (when I'm watching TV late night I often listen through my PC headphones to avoid disturbing the rest of the house).

Soldato
We could help more if you let us know what you are trying to do, and even what tv it is and what you are trying to connect. Tbh its unclear if you are trying to feed something into or out of your tv either into a stereo or feed something like a old video camera. Tell us what you are trying to do

Soldato
We could help more if you let us know what you are trying to do, and even what tv it is and what you are trying to connect. Tbh its unclear if you are trying to feed something into or out of your tv either into a stereo or feed something like a old video camera. Tell us what you are trying to do

I get the impression it's something like feeding an old video camera to the tv with him mentioning a yellow port, but as you say it's not clear.

Associate
OP
sorry guys, model of tv will double check

uncle and aunt trying to feed old vhs and or video cam into the input of the tv.

Soldato
You're probably talking about Composite/CVBS video that uses an RCA connector (typically yellow). You may also have 2 additional RCA connectors for analogue audio (left and right, typically white and red).

Some TVs either still have these ports or I have seen TVs that use a 3.5mm 4-pole jack to feed this in, and come bundled with an adapter that terminates that to the 3 female RCA connectors needed for composite video and analogue audio.

The manual of the TV will enlighten you on whether you can do that or what input options you have. Worst case, you may need a converter to convert the analogue composite video to a digital HDMI signal or something else (depending on what inputs you have available).

Another question might be - what is the aim of connecting the VHS and camera? Just for viewing? Maybe you should consider spending the money once and getting a unit that can digitise the VHS onto another medium for future viewing, such as DVDs or just digital files. They used to be common, I'm sure you can probably still get those. Depends how much time/energy you want to invest.

Back
Top Bottom