3070 Build Advice

Associate
I've just managed to secure a 3070 and am looking for some advice on the rest of the components.

I need everything, including a case and want 32Gb RAM. I do have peripherals and a monitor and will be playing at 1440p.

Budget is whatever it needs to be, but spending less will always be preferred

Thanks all!

Soldato
Budget is whatever it needs to be, but spending less will always be preferred
Well, that's rather ambiguous...
I mean what's the wanted longevity level?
For the time of that graphics card, or to last over at least one graphics card upgrade?

Do you want CPU good for all old Intel stagnation era games and nearly all current games?
Or one which can be considered norm for future's high end games?
Or enough grunt for those high end games and backgrouns softwares and possibly streaming?

And already for case there's major variation in style:
Do you want clean more stylish look, or that ADHD gaming RGB type look?
Then there's the size question...
And do you need optical drive for older games on discs...

Intel Alderlake cpu to be released in approx 3 weeks can you wait ?
Just wouldn't expect much improvements for gaming.
I mean there are still zero gaming performance leaks.
If Intel (who knows PR/marketing shenanigans) had actually improved that significantly, there should be "leaks" to turn people away from AMD.
And that overhyped big.little is causing problems also for DRMs:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/intel-alder-lake-cpus-may-not-work-with-older-games

Wouldn't wonder any if you had to disable those little cores in BIOS to avoid performance+other issues in different games.

Associate
OP
Well, that's rather ambiguous...
I mean what's the wanted longevity level?
For the time of that graphics card, or to last over at least one graphics card upgrade?

Do you want CPU good for all old Intel stagnation era games and nearly all current games?
Or one which can be considered norm for future's high end games?
Or enough grunt for those high end games and backgrouns softwares and possibly streaming?

And already for case there's major variation in style:
Do you want clean more stylish look, or that ADHD gaming RGB type look?
Then there's the size question...
And do you need optical drive for older games on discs...

I want something to last me a good 3 years really. I tend to upgrade every other generation - my current card is a 1070 ti.

As for CPU, it will mainly be used for gaming, primarily FPS games. I do also do a little music production but it's not very demanding even on my current 1600x CPU.

In terms of case, I don't care one bit about RGB :)

No need for an optical drive.

Associate
If you already have 1600x then I would assume you have X370 mobo. An upgrade to R5 3600 or R7 3800 is a very cost effective performance boost. Re use current ram and see if it overclocks better with the improved memory controller or upgrade that if necessary.

Associate
OP
If you already have 1600x then I would assume you have X370 mobo. An upgrade to R5 3600 or R7 3800 is a very cost effective performance boost. Re use current ram and see if it overclocks better with the improved memory controller or upgrade that if necessary.

I did consider that initially, however my whole current rig is being given to my Son. So I need a new build completely.

Associate
My son and daughter are using my old system with 1600 and 1080. I am keeping my eyes open for a B grade 3600 that they had in stock a couple of months ago, is a worthwhile upgrade imo.

Waiting a few weeks to see what Alderlake is like is an option. Even if it is not a system you want it should push Ryzen prices down.
AMD 5600/5800 with X570 or B550 and 32gb 3600 CL16 DDR4 is also a great system to think about and will easily last 3+ years. Can then be passed on like you are doing with your old system.

I will get off my phone and onto pc and make a basket up so other people can call me an idiot.

Edit - no need to make a basket because I was going to use exact components as above. Only case would have differed and that's your personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom