*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Upgraded to Windows 11 on my i5 2500k machine using the MediaCreationTool bypass, easy enough to go back so thought why not.
Been working fine, installed Startallback so I can have labels on the taskbar but that's the only change I have done (no way I can't get over not having labels), the rest seems to be working perfectly fine.

Updates seem to be coming through for the time being at least, might do a complete clean install just so its all fresh.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One thing to keep in mind that I was thinking about last night whilst driving back in the dead of night from London (best time to think!) was that whilst many will install using one of the many workarounds and have no issues at all.... The manufacturers of mobos and chipsets will pretty much abandon updating drivers for Windows 11 going forwards. Yes Windows 10 drivers effectively are the same (GFX drivers aside and some sound devices etc) but mobo components on systems with unsupported CPU generations won't get chipset drivers or anything else I'd imagine once Windows 10 support ends officially. At some point we will have to comply with the minimum requirements.

Soldato
had this problem with windows 10 installing. just having one drive is better is it not when installing a operating system.

Only if you're incapable of differentiating which drive is which.

Nothing wrong in doing so, as guranteed you can't make a mistake - but not required for those with more experience.

Soldato
Just tried the drag object to taskbar to swap to the programs you want to open it with, and it didn't work either for me. Good grief why are they getting rid of basic useful things like that ... its a perfect interaction for touch movement as well.

Someone created a program to make drag and drop worked on Windows 11 taskbar.

https://github.com/HerMajestyDrMona/Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix

Finally you can now enjoy drag and drop files to Windows 11 taskbar.

Soldato
I'm guessing there's no hope for my computer then :(
Your system is perfectly fine to run Win11. Not sure its worth while for anyone mind you, I would wait 6 months. The bits in red are just a soft cap to make people by new hardware that is not needed. Those bits in red can be safety ignored from all early indications. They don't really do anything useful to end users. You can still run Win11 with all the useful features, get updates.

After a backup convert your hard drive to GPT then bypass TPM, Secure Boot, CPU Compatibility. Way older CPU’s then yours show as compatible, install and run Window 11. Its just a false soft cap to force people to upgrade.

A Intel Pentium 4 from 2006 shows as compatible and even installs and runs. A newer Intel, 6 core, 12 thread 4.2GH CPU shows as not supported yet works perfectly. It goes to show what a joke the requirements are. Most of the requirements are just a fake artificial cap.

Permabanned
OP
Only if you're incapable of differentiating which drive is which.

The system automatically chooses what's best for it or what the current config is. If you leave the drive in you might not get your data wiped but the drive has the boot info on it. You might find later down the line you remove that second drive and your system no longer boots, so then you need a boot recovery process to fix it.

Always best to keep the only drive in that you need for boot when installing windows.

Associate
Had a spare SSD lying around so gave Windows 11 a try. Prepared USB for bypassing supposed requirements before installing on a 4790k system.

Overall pretty smooth experience, all drivers were installed along-with updates, however I really missed the option for turning on labels/ungrouping taskbar icons. I know there's additional software to achieve this e.g. StartBack, etc. but I'd really love some official solution or a minimalist workaround for this.

Gone back to Windows 10 for now but would be evaluating Windows 11 further from time to time. See how its going as have to move it eventually at some point.

For people still on the fence about this I'd say if you have a spare SSD then give Windows 11 a shot without worrying about the "requirements" (unless of course its a really old PC). I know you could always run on VM but bare-metal gets you the actual performance and feel of the OS.

Man of Honour
Could be about to jinx it but whatever it was, seems the latest W11 update has resolved it.

As was starting to get quite annoying at how frequently it was happening.

Hopefully same for you
Strangely enough I had to reformat and load Windows again and its not happening now either, but that was straight after my post to you and before the update, so no idea what's causing it?

Associate
I dropped the latest updates on my AMD machine "Manual Install" and my drive problems have vanished and it's faster by 400 points in cinebench R23

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎06/‎10/‎2021
OS build 22000.282
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.282.0

Soldato
Your system is perfectly fine to run Win11. Not sure its worth while for anyone mind you, I would wait 6 months. The bits in red are just a soft cap to make people by new hardware that is not needed. Those bits in red can be safety ignored from all early indications. They don't really do anything useful to end users. You can still run Win11 with all the useful features, get updates.

After a backup convert your hard drive to GPT then bypass TPM, Secure Boot, CPU Compatibility. Way older CPU’s then yours show as compatible, install and run Window 11. Its just a false soft cap to force people to upgrade.

A Intel Pentium 4 from 2006 shows as compatible and even installs and runs. A newer Intel, 6 core, 12 thread 4.2GH CPU shows as not supported yet works perfectly. It goes to show what a joke the requirements are. Most of the requirements are just a fake artificial cap.

That's food for thought then. I'm in no hurry to upgrade certainly cos my current system runs everything i need it to run.

Soldato
I dropped the latest updates on my AMD machine "Manual Install" and my drive problems have vanished and it's faster by 400 points in cinebench R23

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎06/‎10/‎2021
OS build 22000.282
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.282.0
Which update you install and where did you get it from?

Caporegime
Apologies, I may have asked this a while back but all I should need to do is make a change in the BIOS to turn TPM on? Or just do one of these workarounds I have seen mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom