Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Associate
How long and how often had you been SUP'ing before you started to think about getting qualified in instruction? I'm curious as I'm really hating my job at the minute and have always wanted to do something outdoors.

Associate
OP
How long and how often had you been SUP'ing before you started to think about getting qualified in instruction? I'm curious as I'm really hating my job at the minute and have always wanted to do something outdoors.

I’m a relative novice when it comes to SUP but, I’m fairly experienced paddler in general (open boating and kayaking).

Im progressing down the British Canoeing route due my quals already being BC ones and it’s likely to be seen as the governing body for SUP by Scouting.

I’ve not had a look into Water Skills Academy, BSUPA or ASI qualifications.

My thoughts would be to make it a career, you’d probably need other quals beside a SUP one. The coach I did my training with at the weekend is a sea kayaker, white water kayaker, open canoe coach and also has rock
Climbing and mountain leader qualifications.

Soldato
My thoughts would be to make it a career, you’d probably need other quals beside a SUP one. The coach I did my training with at the weekend is a sea kayaker, white water kayaker, open canoe coach and also has rock
Climbing and mountain leader qualifications.

I'd probably agree to that. Pretty much everyone i know who does coaching, have quite freeing jobs whish grant flexibility and so fit in lessons around that and will likely have a few people together to offer availability more often.

Even the likes of Sup North and Three Piers who also run SUP sales on the side still have other jobs as far as i know (I know the 2 guys at Three Piers SUP definitely do anyway). I don't know anyone who has a career purely out of coaching SUP alone, it's just another string to their bow.

Soldato
Good choice, i'd been eyeing up the Handirack for over in Spain, but ended up with this one, purely down to availability/price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonracks-...d=1&keywords=handirack&qid=1634628318&sr=8-18

What i would say is that i could never get the straps as tight as with proper ratchet straps that i used to use at home when i just used some foam blocks on the roof. it'd be fine for short distances but i'm not sure i'd trust it on the motorway. Also not sure if you know, but put a twist in the strap at each end. It stops the really annoying buffeting noise :)

Still no paddles for me, the canal is completely weed ridden from what i can see, and i tend to only travel further for a longer paddle and still a little nervous of my ankle just in case. A mate is heading out for a big one next month but annoyingly is co-insides with my being down in Surrey.

Associate
OP
Another starter course delivered. Getting more and more comfortable with them now.

Also, I’ve got my SUP coach course all but, booked in for April 22. Really looking forward to it.

Associate
OP
Great stuff. I must say coaching is never something that's really appealed to me, although i suppose being linked to scouts, i guess it's in your nature!

This whole paddlesport adventure started off with me wanting to offer something different to the Scouts. I still haven't been able to get the Scouts out with the pandemic but, the bug has bitten hard!

I'm also doing a bit of semi-retirement planning and would like the option of coaching this so I don't have to work in an office for 40 years if I choose not to.

Man of Honour
Anyone had a go of a wing sup? @Martynt74 you might have had a go at sup north?

I haven't yet but would like to. I do have an iRig inflatable windsurf sail which is good fun. If wings were outwhen i bought that would have fone for a wing instead for sure. Haven't been paddling very mcuh as buy but plan to change that this week if we get some semi pleasant weather.

Associate
OP
I was on a canoe Leader course this weekend on Llyn Padarn and Llyn Tegid. Great course and made me confident in my abilities as a canoeist.

We even made an improvised sail which was good fun. Without a canoe, it’s going to be going to be hard to consolidate. Maybe SUP Leader should be my immediate goal.

Associate
OP
Well i've still not been out. Mostly focusing on getting back running more than anything. As with Skidder above i had arranged to meet a friend to go out this weekend, but the weather isn't looking very good!

Force 6 in Liverpool... Perfect for the Wind SUPers.

Associate
OP
Thank you. For £470 from Sup Inflatables, is that the best option for that price for a touring board?

Nevermind, I’ve ordered it. Was going to pool my Christmas money from my family and add to it but, saving £100 now is worth it.

I would feel more confident now that I could keep up with people touring. Would be well interested in some paddles in the Lakes and North Wales if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom