Bathroom ceiling caved in

Soldato
OP
Wow... brace yourself for the stick you're going to get :cry:.

It says a thousand things that they weren't willing to correct and finish the job without requiring more of a payment upfront, instead of completing the job, getting the all clear from you and then getting the full balance.

I guess at the end of the day as long as you're happy with the finish for what you've paid then that's all that matters. (Could probably argue that £4k for the substandard work is probably about a going price).

I'd probably try and source some sort of profile that you could put in the corner to hide some of the badly cut tiles, and then make sure it's all well sealed so that any potential leaks are well into the future.

Yep they were shysters and it was the only way to get it finished even if it's not finished the correct way.

Soldato
OP
Before:
1634637602.jpg

After:
1634602268.jpg

Before:
1634600835.jpg

After:
1634588182.jpg

Soldato
A bit of sealant makes all the difference. Are you happy with how it turned out? Looks very clean.

On a personal side, I think grey will go out of fashion soon - so really trying to avoid using it anywhere.

Soldato
Looks alright to be fair now its finished. the main thing is that it must be 1000x better than what you initially started with! How where the builders when you had them back in? I hope you enjoy it.

Only thing I would say is the toilet looks a bit close to the sink.. can you actually sit on it ? I guess thats more of a design flaw than install though.

Soldato
With a partial shower screen like that, you're going to get some spray reaching to the left of the basin. Has the edge of the shower riser been sealed against the floor - ie could water run underneath the shower?

Soldato
Looks better than it did before but they're just cowboys unfortunately. I feel for you. I hope none of it leaks. Keep on top of your silicone as when it fails you'll be in a right mess.

Soldato
OP
A bit of sealant makes all the difference. Are you happy with how it turned out? Looks very clean.

On a personal side, I think grey will go out of fashion soon - so really trying to avoid using it anywhere.

I'm happy that it's finished and they are out of my house yes. And as long as it doesn't leak then I'll be happy also. :)

Grey may go out of fashion but it's plan and neutral so it'll be fine for years.

Has clear sealant been added to the bottom of that shower screen?

While sealant at bottom of shower screen.

Looks alright to be fair now its finished. the main thing is that it must be 1000x better than what you initially started with! How where the builders when you had them back in? I hope you enjoy it.

Only thing I would say is the toilet looks a bit close to the sink.. can you actually sit on it ? I guess thats more of a design flaw than install though.

Yep 1000s better than what was there before! Toilet is close but I still sit fine with no problems, I think it's because the toilet has been put in same spot as the old toilet for the waste pipe, and with it being a cupboard instead of an old skool wash basin with pedestal.

The fitter was fine as he's just takes instructions from the boss.

Soldato
OP
With a partial shower screen like that, you're going to get some spray reaching to the left of the basin. Has the edge of the shower riser been sealed against the floor - ie could water run underneath the shower?

Yep already noticed side of the basin cupboard getting wet. Everything has been sealed including the riser and all around the floor edges of the whole bathroom.

Looks better than it did before but they're just cowboys unfortunately. I feel for you. I hope none of it leaks. Keep on top of your silicone as when it fails you'll be in a right mess.

Definitely cowboys in it for quick money. Will keep an eye on sealant. :)

Associate
I imagine most the snags you've mentioned will get addressed with silicone.
Called it.

To be fair it looks ok, just a bit annoying when you've paid for a job and it isn't done to the standard expected.

I don't get why anyone would go through 80% of the effort and not just spend a bit more time doing a proper job, so you can be a respectable and recommend business...

Soldato
Looks mostly ok now, much better than it was for sure. Shame they didn't sort out the door frame to the room, it looks like it needs a good sanding and repainting. Didn't you say you were looking to sell the place anyway, it will certainly help to move the place on.

Soldato
OP
Looks mostly ok now, much better than it was for sure. Shame they didn't sort out the door frame to the room, it looks like it needs a good sanding and repainting. Didn't you say you were looking to sell the place anyway, it will certainly help to move the place on.

I'm going to be sanding the door frames myself and then paint them with satin white ready for some new doors to be hung.

Soldato
My kitchen ceiling collapsed a month ago, and the whole thing was made worse by cowboys working on it.

I finally got almost to the end of the mess, so I sympathise.

My beams looked similar to OP's my floor was trash as well, and I had my LL trying to tell me it was habitable. The floor has now been redone, ceiling fixed, I manually cleaned a lot of mess, plaster over cupboards, surfaces etc.

Soldato
I'm going to be sanding the door frames myself and then paint them with satin white ready for some new doors to be hung.

It doesn't look too bad now all things considered. If the screw holes that have been filled with silicone next to the shower screen frame bother you then you could get a flat piece of chrome trim from somewhere and stick it down next to that vertical edge of the frame and butt it right up to that edge.

Associate
Looks very nice and clean. Fair play for posting that up here and dealing with everyones comments. Be interesting to hear what happens about that £1500.

Soldato
@LeeUK if it makes you feel any better, we were in a similar situation with numerous cowboy bathroom fitters. We had three quote for the job, and each one never filled me with much confidence. The first one literally said he would use pink gripfill on everything.

anyway, the people will did finally end up going with put a massive hole in the floor, and stuck the tiles onto normal plasterboard (not the water resistant type, nor any tanking system). When we walked in on the final day, they were literally black. They'd got black grout on everything! The walls, ceiling, woodwork, it was all over the hallway, the kitchen....even the damn tiles were wonky. I've no idea what they were thinking when they plumbed the toilet in, but they had a half meter copper pipe going about 20cm so rather than cut to size, they decided to bend it a few times so it would fit.

I never paid in the end. Said it was going to cost more to get someone else in to put thing right and they should think themselves lucky.

That was a good 2-3 years ago, it's still in the same state. We need to save up and rip the lot out and start again....it's the stress of it all though more than anything. The thought of paying thousands and it still not be right.

Wow that's pretty bad.

With my kitchen I had a mess originally below where it collapsed, the first guy that turned up managed to spread the mess across the entire kitchen and 2/3 of my hallway. Which ended up needing me to get the floors replaced in the hallway and kitchen, whilst originally it was far less mess to deal with.

When the kitchen ceiling got repaired and replastered, plaster was all over the kitchen, left uncleaned.

When it was painted, the painter brought some sheets to cover things up, by this point I learnt to to start telling them what to do and be cautious, although he still got paint all over cupboards and tiles.

Then there is the habit of workmen thinking they have the all clear to use your washing up stuff to clean their stuff, dirty out your sink etc without asking.

For the price the OP paid I would expect the work to look perfect. I think he was right to not fully pay up.

Soldato
OP
My kitchen ceiling collapsed a month ago, and the whole thing was made worse by cowboys working on it.

I finally got almost to the end of the mess, so I sympathise.

My beams looked similar to OP's my floor was trash as well, and I had my LL trying to tell me it was habitable. The floor has now been redone, ceiling fixed, I manually cleaned a lot of mess, plaster over cupboards, surfaces etc.

Cleaning up after the ceiling collapsing was a nightmare, made even worse as there was 2 ceilings up there as at some point a new one must have been put on top of the old. A year or so later some more came down and I had to clean up again.

The plan now is to get a new kitchen put in but I can no longer be doing with trades for big jobs.

Back
Top Bottom