Tesco Momentum 99... yay or nay?

Associate
Revo remap specifically for superior I assume. I was told not to run it on anything else other than super.

Unsure if it's to do with the model / remap combo. It's an old A4 B6 1.8T (red, 190hp). I'd also assume if run on super they could advance the ignition more. Unsure whether my model has a knock sensor to prevent knock if it did occur.

Caporegime
Revo remap specifically for superior I assume. I was told not to run it on anything else other than super.

Unsure if it's to do with the model / remap combo. It's an old A4 B6 1.8T (red, 190hp). I'd also assume if run on super they could advance the ignition more. Unsure whether my model has a knock sensor to prevent knock if it did occur.

I think all cars have knock sensors now but with lower grade fuel you will likely get more knock, thus the car will try to pull the timing and or boost which it may or may not be able to do effectively depending on the map itself.

Pulling timing will reduce your bhp, if it can't do that it will knock and cause possible damage.

Soldato
Does anyone know what is the ethanol %?

Because on their website they just have this: Dependent on location and supplier, UK petrol contains between 0 and 5 percent ethanol, probably old news as now some have 10%

Soldato
I think all cars have knock sensors now but with lower grade fuel you will likely get more knock, thus the car will try to pull the timing and or boost which it may or may not be able to do effectively depending on the map itself.

Pulling timing will reduce your bhp, if it can't do that it will knock and cause possible damage.

The amount of HP you'll loose is single digits on all but the most highly strung cars.

Associate
No one wants knock, that's a sure way to reduce life of an engine. I have to assume I was told run super due to the revo map advancing the ignition further than the ecu can retard it if knock is detected.

Fortunately where I live there is never a shortage of super.

Soldato
You can always add octane booster to regular if you can't find super. I think that is pretty much what Tesco etc do anyway :p

Caporegime
No one wants knock, that's a sure way to reduce life of an engine. I have to assume I was told run super due to the revo map advancing the ignition further than the ecu can retard it if knock is detected.

Fortunately where I live there is never a shortage of super.
How is utopia

Associate
That's why the knock sensor triggers the ECU to change the ignition settings to stop knocking! If Mk3 Cavaliers had a knock sensor in the late 80s, I can't see why anything would run without one 30+ years later. ;)

Aware of that, what I'm unaware of is just how much the ECU can adjust on its own to compensate and whether it'd be enough to override the adjustment made when remapped.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Aware of that, what I'm unaware of is just how much the ECU can adjust on its own to compensate and whether it'd be enough to override the adjustment made when remapped.
Most systems can pull up to 10 degrees to stop knock. If it still knocks after this, the ecu will throw an MIL (as it's probably sensing something else other than knock, i.e. dodgy bearing or very badly contaminated fuel).

Transmission breaker
Don
My wife's Corsa specifically states 98ron minimum, so I just stick in anything that's 98+ and find very little difference, if any from any brand of premium fuel. Even when we have to put in 95ron, we used additives to increase it up to 98 min, seems to be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom