GSync not working on some games? Certain games look horrible.

Associate
Hi,

I've spent countless hours/days trying to fix this issue with no luck.

It only seems to happen in certain games (Battlefield 5 and Dota 2 so far)

I can tell something is wrong if I drop frames in any other games, say from 144fps to 90fps, it's still pretty smooth. In BF5 or Dota, it feels completely broken. If I disable Gsync whilst playing in these particular games, it doesn't feel any different. Whereas if I disable Gsync on a game where it works, I can tell a difference.

Dota is particularly odd and is sometimes smooth if a set say a 90fps cap, but the second it drops to 89, it looks awful. Same also happens at 144fps, if it drops to say 130, it looks awful.

I have G-Sync enabled, with V-Sync forced on through the NV Control Panel.

I have the G-Sync indicator on and it says it's working....but certainly doesn't feel like it in these games.

I have run DDU multiple times, different driver versions etc.

Using a Ryzen 3600, RTX 2070, 16gb 3600mhz RAM. No overheating is occurring on anything I can check, I have also tried different RAM, PSU, SSD, Monitor with no luck.
I've also tried disabling every background task and program, PBO, XMP etc.

Fall Guys, GTA 5, R6S, Death Stranding, Red Dead 2 etc work fine and look smooth if I cap at 90fps. If I cap Dota or BF5 to 90fps, it looks like straight ass.

Can't seem to find anyone else on the planet that has this issue, or if they do, it was years ago with no response.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Dunno about BF5 but BF4 was a bit of a mess - getting the right number of pre-rendered (render ahead) frames, framerate cap method and use of V-Sync or otherwise, etc. to get good results with G-Sync. Beyond looking pretty the engine is a pile of ****.

Associate
There is an issue with G-synch where if you drop a single frame below the refresh rate it will instantly cut the fps to 50% of the refresh rate to stop tearing. This is most likely what is happening.

Associate
OP
There is an issue with G-synch where if you drop a single frame below the refresh rate it will instantly cut the fps to 50% of the refresh rate to stop tearing. This is most likely what is happening.

Is there a way to know if this is happening? it doesn't show it, but it sure feels it. Is there a fix or more information on this?

Man of Honour
Weirdly I don't remember having an issue with BF4, don't currently have it installed to check though.

You might have had the right combination of settings for renderdevice.renderaheadlimit and/or frame rate capping method, etc. - can't say it is that for certain but it is something which can result in issues like you talked about with G-Sync.

Associate
OP
You might have had the right combination of settings for renderdevice.renderaheadlimit and/or frame rate capping method, etc. - can't say it is that for certain but it is something which can result in issues like you talked about with G-Sync.

What I have noticed is that using an XBOX controller, 100fps suddenly feels super smooth. With my mouse, it feels bad. I don't know if I can post links to a video showing my issue, if I can, I will.

Going to try get Dota camera panning with a controller to see if this makes a difference.

I have tried multiple different mice though, with multiple different usb ports, and it makes no difference.

EDIT - Dota camera panning is still wonky with a controller. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Just to set a baseline and see if you can get a really smooth framerate/gameplay lower the settings to low and reduce the resloution to 1080p. Then play the same games and it should be ok, if you still have issues when at such low settings you have cpu/gpu problems or more likely software/firmware issue.

If you have bluetooth or wifi enabled then disable them if you can and just test with wired connection and peritherals. When testing limit the variables.

Background things to try , I am sure you have done most of these already

Uninstall chipset drivers then install newest version.
Driver clean and install newest non beta gfx drivers.
Install newest audio drivers.
Check SSD firmware is upto date.
Sure there are many other things I cannot think of at the moment but that second bottle of wine is winking at me.

Associate
OP
Just to set a baseline and see if you can get a really smooth framerate/gameplay lower the settings to low and reduce the resloution to 1080p. Then play the same games and it should be ok, if you still have issues when at such low settings you have cpu/gpu problems or more likely software/firmware issue.

If you have bluetooth or wifi enabled then disable them if you can and just test with wired connection and peritherals. When testing limit the variables.

Background things to try , I am sure you have done most of these already

Uninstall chipset drivers then install newest version.
Driver clean and install newest non beta gfx drivers.
Install newest audio drivers.
Check SSD firmware is upto date.
Sure there are many other things I cannot think of at the moment but that second bottle of wine is winking at me.

Even if I lower everything to minimum settings with barely any GPU usage, it still has this weird stutter. I'm discounting Bf5 for now as I think it's a separate thing as I can at least get smooth gameplay with a controller.

Part of me thinks it's maybe a CPU issue, but then even if I cap the FPS at say 75fps, so barely any CPU usage, it still stutters.....no idea.

Here is a mediafire link to a shadowplay clip I recorded. (Mods just let me know if this isn't allowed and I'll remove the link straight away)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1xdyx1lju1r73mk/Dota_2_2021.10.18_-_20.42.20.01.mp4/file

It's not super obvious here, but when you are at a 144fps locked, then go to this (easiest seen in the first few seconds) it's pretty rough....feels like 45 fps or something, but not even a consistent 45fps.

My frametimes and everything is fine, i've done every furmark and prime95 bench possible :D Literally every game runs like butter, other than this.

Soldato
lg32650f

I also had a Gigabyte 32" 1440p 165hz panel before this which had the same thing, and also an Iiyama 3440x1440 IPS 144hz Panel. Both had this same thing, so I'm leaning more towards a gpu or cpu issue.
Have you tried setting a flat curve in msi afterburner so the GPU clocks don't bounce around?

Associate
Something appears to be missing…
The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire.

Have to make an account and log in to access that file ?

So the only games with issues are DOTA and BF5. If your system is generally working ok and just those games giving issues then it is not most likely not a hardware issue. Unfortunately you have one of those wierd issues that affect just 0.1% , when you work it our let the other poor souls suffering know what the problem was.

If i had this problem I would go for a clean slate and back up everything I need and reinstall windows then update everything required and just install one of those games and test. You have a potential thousand conflicts with a standard PC , you have to limit the variables to find the problem.

Associate
OP
Something appears to be missing…
The key you provided for file access was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on MediaFire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or MediaFire.

Have to make an account and log in to access that file ?

So the only games with issues are DOTA and BF5. If your system is generally working ok and just those games giving issues then it is not most likely not a hardware issue. Unfortunately you have one of those wierd issues that affect just 0.1% , when you work it our let the other poor souls suffering know what the problem was.

If i had this problem I would go for a clean slate and back up everything I need and reinstall windows then update everything required and just install one of those games and test. You have a potential thousand conflicts with a standard PC , you have to limit the variables to find the problem.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/psgagxbwq1lvw8p/Dota_2_2021.10.18_-_20.42.20.01.mp4/file

I've reuploaded the file, seems to work now. Obviously easier to see in person due to the recording only being 60fps, but you can see as I start to pan towards the base quickly, something is off. It looks pretty similar in person, but going from 144fps locked to this 40fps type feeling is pretty jarring. Look at the first second with the fight (looks smooth) to panning towards the base (suddenly doesn't look smooth)

Yeah I seem to be the only person on the planet with this lol. I've reinstalled W10, then also tried W11, no difference either way. Reinstalled the game countless times on different SSDs.

I've run DDU loads, changed every bios setting, driving me mad lol. Feels like the only thing I haven't changed is CPU/Motherboard or GPU. I upgraded my CPU/GPU/144hz Monitor at roughly the same time so it's not easy to tell what's going on here.

BF5 I believe is a separate issue as I can get around it with a controller, and I can find others online with similar issues, but none similar to my dota issue.

Last edited:
Associate
I've uploaded some more files showing the issue a bit clearer.

1: Locked to 90fps when the screen is 144hz. Looks horrible.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ull5zzbdo086s4r/dota_laggy_mess.mp4/file

2. Locked to 60fps and the monitor is also set to 60hz. Looks consistent. Much smoother.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w0xyykk7a8xm60u/dota_6_60fps_locked.mp4/file
Sorry for my bad english, but i have he same issue, when dota 2 go under the HZ of monitor 165Hz in my case i have the same problem
And like to you, i try to reinstall win10, dota2, clean driver intallation with DDU.
The strange is, my brother have the same pc but no problem for him, i start to think is my mouse or keyboard or sound card, Creative Ae7, this is the difference of the 2 pc

Ryzen 5900, Msi b550 gaming carbon. Rtx 3080 gigabyte oc, 32gb 3600mhz ram, 27" 165HZ

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry for my bad english, but i have he same issue, when dota 2 go under the HZ of monitor 165Hz in my case i have the same problem
And like to you, i try to reinstall win10, dota2, clean driver intallation with DDU.
The strange is, my brother have the same pc but no problem for him, i start to think is my mouse or keyboard or sound card, Creative Ae7, this is the difference of the 2 pc

Ryzen 5900, Msi b550 gaming carbon. Rtx 3080 gigabyte oc, 32gb 3600mhz ram, 27" 165HZ

I assume you're also using G-Sync/Freesync?

I've tried a different sound card and also different mice, no difference unfortunately.

I use an MSI B450 Tomahawk board, perhaps related to the CPU or Motherboard? I honestly have no idea at this point. I have tried everything other than changing my CPU/Motherboard/GPU.

I am thinking of taking my CPU out of the socket and reseating it.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure what settings those games have but things which can knock G-Sync out include not having or using a proper fullscreen mode, overlays, some forms of in-game V-Sync.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure what settings those games have but things which can knock G-Sync out include not having or using a proper fullscreen mode, overlays, some forms of in-game V-Sync.

Dota uses exclusive full screen, borderless window and windowed.

I've tried all 3, including messing around with disabling full screen optimisations. No change. It's weird because if I turn G-SYNC and V-SYNC off completely, the game runs like trash (same as the video, maybe worse).

I've always thought games without V-SYNC look stuttery to me, so I not sure if that's related though.

Also tried disabling steam and windows overlay, Vsync is also off in game.

Keeping the FPS at whatever I set the monitor HZ to is the only way I can keep it smooth. (e.g. 60fps at 60hz, 144fps at 144hz.) If it drops below even by 1-2 fps, it breaks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom