Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Anyone else got faith in INTC? I keep gobbing the dips when it hits like 53$ a share and the P/E is as low as 9.

going to hold for the next decade probably until all the new fabs are online

Soldato
I sold off Intel about year and half ago (can't remember) and picked up shares in TSMC. I see Intel going the way of IBM. It's never been good at mobile or low powered embedded systems that are going be most relevant in the future. I think it is better concentrating on building standards, design and software.

Opening up it's labs to others was a move in the right direction IMO.

Soldato
Why are you guys getting involved in clothing companies, hardly very exciting and fast fashion can fade very fast. Get into us tech stocks that are actually changing the world. I wish there were some uk ones but there aren't.
Sounds like you're focusing your investments in one area. That's accepted as being a bad strategy.

Caporegime
There are several UK tech stocks. I bought Blue Prism around the £8, and it now looks like its getting sold to some US buggers at £11.25 a pop.
wasnt blueprism like 16-18 quid during 2020.
It's hardly an exciting tech stock either, the CEO was attacking UK investors for not getting tech stocks, helped dump the stock value even more and talked about listing in the US instead

what are the exciting UK companies? rolls royce should be exciting right?

lets face it being an american company gives you a 5-10x market cap over a UK one and exposes you to a lot more buyers, dual listing doesn't work

Last edited:
Soldato
There are several UK tech stocks. I bought Blue Prism around the £8, and it now looks like its getting sold to some US buggers at £11.25 a pop.

So what you're saying is....there was a UK tech stock? :D

Problem with tech is that the big boys are so big that the vast majority of small players can't compete, and the ones that do have a competitive product eventually give in to the money being thrown at them.

Soldato
Are there any good websites to keep up to date of news on specific companies, where they'll either send you a daily email or send notifications rather than manually searching each company?

Also seeing RR drop today, the talk of interest rate rises could be a bit risky given their amount of debt and something i'll be trying to keep an eye on.

Associate
Are there any good websites to keep up to date of news on specific companies, where they'll either send you a daily email or send notifications rather than manually searching each company?

Also seeing RR drop today, the talk of interest rate rises could be a bit risky given their amount of debt and something i'll be trying to keep an eye on.
I use Google Alerts for that sort of thing.

Soldato
Heads up, but Aston Martin F1 team have released some 7% bonds through Primary Bid.

Not many places you're getting a fixed 7% return. Thoughts on the F1 team going bust? Looking at the prospectus they sure burn through a wad of cash, but i imagine that's just a given?

Caporegime
Heads up, but Aston Martin F1 team have released some 7% bonds through Primary Bid.

Not many places you're getting a fixed 7% return. Thoughts on the F1 team going bust? Looking at the prospectus they sure burn through a wad of cash, but i imagine that's just a given?

Majority of teams make a loss do they not and only reason they keep afloat is partnerships and sponsorship money.

Aston Martin aren't a big name either in F1 they could easily go bust

Soldato
I sold off Intel about year and half ago (can't remember) and picked up shares in TSMC. I see Intel going the way of IBM. It's never been good at mobile or low powered embedded systems that are going be most relevant in the future. I think it is better concentrating on building standards, design and software.

Opening up it's labs to others was a move in the right direction IMO.

INTC just bought up all available production capacity that TSMC has so that is probably the right way round. I have TSMC in a fund but I dont think INTC is a bad holding either, they used to be a lot cheaper though.

UK does have tech stocks, the largest companies tend to be in USA. HRI is a tech fund with a discount to own its portfolio and they appear to perform well enough over the years. PCT is a way to buy all the largest tech with a 10% discount, surely excuses the fee for a few years.

Is Vodafone tech or just infrastructure. https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/215940/why-are-vodafone-shares-cheap.aspx

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/111721/top-ftse-dividend-paying-stocks.aspx

Associate
So what you're saying is....there was a UK tech stock? :D

Problem with tech is that the big boys are so big that the vast majority of small players can't compete, and the ones that do have a competitive product eventually give in to the money being thrown at them.

Sadly that seems to be the case, and with more mulah in the States and that’s how things go.

We need someone in the UK to reverse the trend. I don’t think Mr Virgin is good enough to do it.

Associate
INTC just bought up all available production capacity that TSMC has so that is probably the right way round. I have TSMC in a fund but I dont think INTC is a bad holding either, they used to be a lot cheaper though.

UK does have tech stocks, the largest companies tend to be in USA. HRI is a tech fund with a discount to own its portfolio and they appear to perform well enough over the years. PCT is a way to buy all the largest tech with a 10% discount, surely excuses the fee for a few years.

Is Vodafone tech or just infrastructure. https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/215940/why-are-vodafone-shares-cheap.aspx

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/111721/top-ftse-dividend-paying-stocks.aspx

HRI’s fees are too high, and I’m slightly disappointed that they don’t use funds to buy back some of their own shares.

PCT is an interesting play.

It’s probably worth a shout keeping an eye on these for when the next market blip happens and buy in after the over reaction.

Back
Top Bottom