Do you dismount your bike when refuelling?

Soldato
While looking for information about how much ethanol some petrol brands have, I found this:

"xxxx policy is that motorcyclists and their passengers should dismount when refuelling their bike for safety reasons."

It makes sense, because in case of overflow you could get soaked in petrol or if it catches fire you are ******, BUT me personally I don't dismount and in more than 20 years doing that I never had a problem or overflow.

Man of Honour
Not if I am immediately going to do over 200 KMs before the next stop, as I can get an extra 0.5 liters in the tank when I fill it upright.

I get off if asked to or if I am going to refill or be home in under 200 KMs.

Associate
Never dismount unless asked.

I tend to pull in, reset trip, turn engine off, kick stand down, open tank, fill. Jump off and before covid I used to remove my lid, but just raise my visor now, again unless asked to remove lid.

Most stations don't seem to care too much.

Soldato
I did this once cause laziness but had to go inside to pay anyway, so brimmed it upright and when I put it on the sidestand to go inside it dumped a load of fuel out the overflow, d'oh...

Even if there is pay at pump I still get off the bike. Although being mostly a track bike now it's been a while since I've fuelled at a petrol station rather than a jerry can :p

Caporegime
Depends long trip no as I can get a bit more in otherwise maybe usualy depends if I parked close enough to reach the pay machine without getting off.

Soldato
I do both, most of the time you have to go in and pay but I’ve been to a few stations that have Apple Pay at the pump so no need to get off.

Soldato
Can't say i've ever got off to fill up, even before "pay at pump" existed.
Not once in 30+ years have i soaked myself in fuel.
That said, it'll probably now happen.

Soldato
I always do.
Back when I had the cruiser, the fill cap was off to the side, so putting it on the sidestand moved the cap uppermost anyway, and it was fiddly trying to stay seated like that. This was long before Pay At Pump, but you'd normally not reach those from sitting down either.
Since then, it's always just been easier to get off, reach the nozzle, etc. Give the bike a look over while you're filling, too.

Staying sat on just seems like you're being a lazy ****... I only see the 'Ped boys doing it, usually with their lid perched atop their head.

Back
Top Bottom