*** Official October 18th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
OMG they fetched the notch to the macbook lmao mad

I guess it's less of an issue on a Macbook/MacOS given it effectively becomes part of the menu bar (and with the 16:10 display it won't be visible on 16:19 video content) however it still looks weird on a laptop! Disappointing it doesn't have Face ID support either?

At least the webcam is finally 1080p now!

Soldato
To be fair with the amount a webcam is used now I like the upgrade. We'll see hwo the notch affects day to day use but I suspect it won't hurt much as the top of the screen is only used for menu bars really. Only time it could be super annoying is gaming.

Soldato
Surprised no one has posted the utterly bonkers AirPod’s naming going forward. We now have:

AirPods $129
AirPods $179

WHY??? :confused::confused::confused:

Seriously, just why. Apple has a marketing budget of a small country and that’s the best they could come up with.

In other news M1 Pro and Max look epic.

Soldato
They probably can't think of another name for them. Airpods 1, Airpods 2 and Airpods 3.

Airpods SE, AirPod’s Air (yes that’s stupid), AirPod’s lite (rebrand the old ones), AirPod’s 2.

Any of the above would have been better, or just killing the old ones off. b0rn2sk8 > apples billion $ marketing team.

It’s just confusing for customers and retailers alike.

Soldato
They’ll just end up with the ‘wrong ones’ and some upset children on Christmas Day. The vast majority who buy these things are not very well informed and that’s the issue.

For example, a person walks into the apple store and asks for AirPods for their grandchild. The store assistant asks if they want second or third generation, the person responds, no idea they just asked for AirPods. They buy the second generation because they are cheaper but the grandchild was actually looking to upgrade to 3rd generation and now both the person and the grandchild are dissatisfied.

It’s a terrible customer experience.

Soldato
I would imagine it'll be the Gen 3s out on display and if you want the older/cheaper ones they'll go and get them out the back if asked. The store assistants are usually overly keen to let you know all the details etc and get you to buy the latest stuff, at least IME.

So no new iMac or Mini. I'd say that the mini form is more than capable of taking the M1 Pro/Max as it is ( even with tweaks to the outer shell ), which makes me think the iMac chassis is the stumbling block. Do we think there will be another event this year?

They've likely just got their own timetable and given the Mini is low down the pecking order due to being the 'entry level' desktop it'll be a case of waiting for there to be Pro and Max iMacs (perhaps keeping the 24" iMac as the cheaper/Air equivalent). Hopefully before WWDC 2022 eh!

Soldato
That notch is very very annoying and almost a dealbreaker for me.

There are plenty of none aple devices that have as tiny bezels as hat but without a notch.

Just look at the dell xpx range

i mean if dell can do it?

**Do Not Hotlink and from a Competitor**

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That notch is very very annoying and almost a dealbreaker for me.

There are plenty of none aple devices that have as tiny bezels as hat but without a notch.

Just look at the dell xpx range

The aspect ratio is 16:10, plus another 73 pixels on top for the notch, so even though it's annoying you still have your full 16:10 real estate undisturbed.

Back
Top Bottom