Need help, PC needs fixing

Associate
From what I have read, I would put my money on the cpu cooler being the problem. Are the fans working?

*I* would try a different cooler if poss.

Edit: a new CPU might be good for testing but you will probably toast it too.

Associate
So would getting a new CPU fix the lag I'm getting in games? Most are unplayable at this point

No. Your cooling is most likely not working correctly and that is why the cpu is on fire.

The pump is either not working correctly or the block is not making the correct contact to the heatsink or you have air in the loop.

Options -

1- Take it back to the pc repair shop and explain the issues you are having. Not sure they should have returned it to you but may have been working ok when they tested it. If your AIO cooler has air in the loop then it could cause a blockage during transit. Or if pump is faulty it could work one minute and not the next and those problems explain all your issues.

2 - Remove cpu heatsink , reapply thermal past and reattach.

3 - Buy new cpu cooler and use that

4- Buy beer

Your cpu is most likely working as intended and shutting down/throttling when it reaches its Tmax. It is only reaching the Tmax under light loads or even intensive gaming because it is getting inadequate cooling for one reason or another. Your problem is inadequate cooling and not a faulty cpu

Associate
OP
Yeah fans are working and you can hear the water cooler working when you boot the PC up, I'll look at getting the cooler EsaT linked and maybe getting some more thermal paste applied and see if it fixes the issue

Associate
OP
No. Your cooling is most likely not working correctly and that is why the cpu is on fire.

The pump is either not working correctly or the block is not making the correct contact to the heatsink or you have air in the loop.

Options -

1- Take it back to the pc repair shop and explain the issues you are having. Not sure they should have returned it to you but may have been working ok when they tested it. If your AIO cooler has air in the loop then it could cause a blockage during transit. Or if pump is faulty it could work one minute and not the next and those problems explain all your issues.

2 - Remove cpu heatsink , reapply thermal past and reattach.

3 - Buy new cpu cooler and use that

4- Buy beer

Your cpu is most likely working as intended and shutting down/throttling when it reaches its Tmax. It is only reaching the Tmax under light loads or even intensive gaming because it is getting inadequate cooling for one reason or another. Your problem is inadequate cooling and not a faulty cpu

Okay yeah I'll get a new cooler and some more thermal paste for it and hopefully this will fix it and yes will definitely buy a few beers

Associate
tower cooler with fan on is just a simpler solution than an AIO. Less moveing parts means less things to go wrong. Is always handy to have one around so you can test a system.

Associate
OP
Hi everyone just wanted to say thanks for the help previously but I’m still in need of assistance haha. I took it back to the repair shop and the guy turned one of the fans around which seems to have partly fixed it, some games now run normally however after say 10-20 mins of play some games just become unplayable again. The CPU is still showing its running at 100 degrees. The repair guy said he put his hand inside the PC and it wasn’t hot anywhere at all so we’re unsure as to whats causing it. I had a look online, could it be that the thermostat is broken causing the CPU to show its at 100 degrees which then causes the CPU to slow down and eventually blue screen?

Associate
Guy in the shop is bull******** you, i have seen dodgy thermostat readings in the past but that wouldn't cause a blue screen could cause throttling though, you need to take it to a better computer shop if you don't want to repaste it yourself.

Associate
did he even take the cooler off and check the thermal paste? Least he could do. Thermal paste isn't exactly expensive and shouldn't take that long to do

Associate
In my opinion if the person I took my PC to just changed a fan orientation and put his hand in the case as "diagnostics" I wouldnt trust them at all. I think the average person would be better if they used a YouTube tutorial.

Its definitely worth trying the cooler as others have said, cheapest and easiest way of diagnosing the problem (well technically just checking the mounting is actually)

Associate
Hi everyone just wanted to say thanks for the help previously but I’m still in need of assistance haha. I took it back to the repair shop and the guy turned one of the fans around which seems to have partly fixed it, some games now run normally however after say 10-20 mins of play some games just become unplayable again. The CPU is still showing its running at 100 degrees. The repair guy said he put his hand inside the PC and it wasn’t hot anywhere at all so we’re unsure as to whats causing it. I had a look online, could it be that the thermostat is broken causing the CPU to show its at 100 degrees which then causes the CPU to slow down and eventually blue screen?
Bruh

You need to find someone who isn't just taking your money and laughing at you. ALLLLLL of the comments on this thread have been on point as to how to help you solve the issue. I completely agree with the way people haven responded to the issue. I suggest you listen to them.

Associate
Still think unscrew cooler and check thermal paste. Another forum member had problems with the copper plate not being flat also so v small point of contact with the cpu. If paste is old or not enough and push out has occurred, again, there wont be any contact between the plate and cpu. You wont feel the heat on the top of the cooler as water flowing through it(if you say it's working), but cpu beneath will be toast. £6 for thermal paste and £6 paste cleaner to get rid of previous stuff, 10/15 mins of time.
Also, what is orientation of pump in relation to the rad? A pic would be good
Or has he applied new paste already? OP says he was going to buy some?

Curious whether he's fixed it

Associate
It's pretty clear that cpu cooling seems to be the issue. At this point i'd do what the others here have said; buy a £25 air cooler, and mount that or see if you or any friends have an old intel stock cooler you could just use to test it with. I can't believe this thread is getting on for a month old and it hasn't been sorted yet.

Back
Top Bottom