*** Official October 18th Apple Event (18:00 BST) ***

Soldato
thats 16:10 as well above.

Absoluetly no reason to have a notch

The point is:
  • Alternative 1: You get 16:10 with a top bezel of 6mm.
  • Alternative 2: You get 16:10, as well as 73 pixels on top of it for the top menu, everywhere except the notch. Top bezel is 3.5mm everywhere, and 6mm where the notch is.
The notch might not look great, but you're not losing anything. You're gaining extra screen real estate.

Just look at the dell xpx range

Just buy XPS then? Top bezel is 5.5mm-7mm across the XPS line though, compared to MBP's 3.5mm.

Soldato
The point is:
  • Alternative 1: You get 16:10 with a top bezel of 6mm.
  • Alternative 2: You get 16:10, as well as 73 pixels on top of it for the top menu, everywhere except the notch. Top bezel is 3.5mm everywhere, and 6mm where the notch is.
The notch might not look great, but you're not losing anything. You're gaining extra screen real estate.

Just buy XPS then? Top bezel is 5.5mm-7mm across the XPS line though, compared to MBP's 3.5mm.
The notch u will see stil on none mac os apps.

it is still so very anoying and come on now, 3.5mm vs 7mm. you wont bloody tell teh difference.

You will notice the 10mm notch though.....

Soldato
That notch is very very annoying and almost a dealbreaker for me.

There are plenty of none aple devices that have as tiny bezels as hat but without a notch.

i mean if dell can do it?

xs9510t_xnb_heroshot_bk.psd
XPS webcam is terrible though

It’s a game of trade offs

Commissario
I can't beleive they put a notch on a laptop. :confused:
Look at it another way.
They've added some extra pixels above the top of the screen to hold the dock, therefore giving you the full resolution for your applications, using space that would otherwise have been wasted on a bezel.

Doesn't bother me either way, I won't be buying one.

I expect them to do the same when the 27" iMac replacement comes out and it won't bother me then either.

Soldato
Resurrecting the XPS argument every time a MacBook comes out.
For me, while there are arguments both ways in terms of hardware vs pricing etc but the mere fact of using MacOS over Windows is enough to sell any Mac product to me personally.

Of course everyone is different but I just find MacOS a much superior OS to use.

Soldato
Actually I think the XPS are great laptops design wise (although hopefully they copy Apple in bringing back some extra ports :p). But it's clear that Intel is not competitive any more on power/efficiency which makes the Macbooks much more attractive personally.

Soldato
That notch is very very annoying and almost a dealbreaker for me.

There are plenty of none aple devices that have as tiny bezels as hat but without a notch.

i mean if dell can do it?

Think of it more like the screen ends below the notch, and you are gaining an extra bit of real estate above the the traditional screen area. If I understand correctly that area isn't usable for anything other the menu bars.

I imagine most people will get it up like LG phones and run a black bar to make things easier on the eye.

Soldato
These look amazing. I have an M1 air and a gaming PC (which I also use for video editing/music production) so definitely won't be picking one up.

If games were developed for OSX I would sell both and replace them with one of these. Alas, I don't think this will ever happen.

Soldato
It has HDMI 2.0 instead of 2.1.

Lack of bandwidth/connectivity on the SoC? :confused:

I can't beleive they put a notch on a laptop. :confused:

I initially thought the same and thought it would ruin fullscreen productivity but, i might have been a little hasty as it seems that it simply becomes a black bar when using fullscreen apps. I need to see one IRL and reserve judgment until then.

Of course everyone is different but I just find MacOS a much superior OS to use.

Admin both daily and you'll realised they're both equally good and **** at the same time; definitely "horses for courses".
Although, OS9 and 10.6 were Mac's real sweet spots :cool:

Back
Top Bottom