• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
Interesting, lower skus next year, and other chipsets next year.
I wonder what supply will be like on release, as I recall the 11900k was damn awful to find after the initial lumps launched.

Soldato
I guess they're slightly different markets, and somewhat of an apples to oranges comparision if you'll excuse the pun, but I'm keen to see how these new Alder Lake CPU's compare to the M1 Pro/Max Apple has just announced in their new Macbook Pro's in benchmarks.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021...the-most-powerful-chips-apple-has-ever-built/

The M1 Pro is 245MM2,and the M1 Max is 432MM2 on TSMC 5NM,and both are using expensive LPDDR5 soldered onto the motherboard. To put in context even a console SOC on TSMC 7NM is smaller than the M1 Max SOC! The latest Zen3 APUs are around 180MM2 in size.The Intel CPUs are on still on 10NM,but at the same time I expect them to simply cost far less than a huge SOC on TSMC 5NM. Even if Apple were to sell these SOCs,I expect they are just going to cost a lot more to make.

Last edited:
Soldato
See what the prices are like might just bite also really want to see this thread director in action
Hmm. I'd probably go with Zen 3 + 3d cache in Q1 2022 if I wanted more than 8 cores, I'd be more interested in the smaller cores if they didn't inflate the prices a lot.

Soldato
OP
Intel is definitely back to being the go to CPU if you want to set 3D mark world records. Hopefully it translates to games. But so far I've never seen a CPU put up a fantastic timespy score and then suck at gaming, it would be a first if the 12900k can dominate so much in timespy and then not in games

Soldato
Caporegime
the 12900k beats the 5900x in the 3D Mark Timespy CPU test by 56% and beats the 5950x by 36%.

Does that helps?

That's impressive but the 11900K also beats the 5800X by 10% in Time Spy, yet in games the 5800X is generally faster, sometimes significantly faster, like in Serious Sam 4 where the 5800X is 22% faster and its GPU locked.
I have seen the 5800X be as much as 30+ % faster

So i think it says more about Time Spy than the CPU, 3DMark is purely synthetic. 3DMark is about the only place where Intel beat Zen 3, what does that tell you?

biGg5nU.png

FzWb7Id.png

Associate
So i think it says more about Time Spy than the CPU
It is still a reasonably good CPU benchmark, but is a very poor gaming performance indicator.
Even 3xxx series Ryzens and Threadrippers are shown ahead of 5800X.

I expect Alder Lake to claim top spot in games. (Unless high latency DDR5 absolutely tanks its performance.)
Only until more-cache-Zen3 hits. So 2 minutes of fame.

Caporegime
It is still a reasonably good CPU benchmark, but is a very poor gaming performance indicator.
Even 3xxx series Ryzens and Threadrippers are shown ahead of 5800X.

I expect Alder Lake to claim top spot in games. (Unless high latency DDR5 absolutely tanks its performance.)
Only until more-cache-Zen3 hits. So 2 minutes of fame.

Its really no indicator of gaming performance at all, games just don't agree with 3DMark ever, its a completely synthetic application that just churns numbers out for a rankings table relevant only to its self.

As for ADL real gaming performance we don't know, as far as i know the only actual gaming benchmark we have seen so far is Forza 4 and Zen 3 is 17% in the lead but even that is meaningless, tho it is far more relevant than 3DMark.

You could be right, ADL could be an absolute gaming monster putting Zen 3 to shame, but Zen 3 is what its needs to beat and there was a lot of people convinced Rocket Lake will do exactly that, it didn't.

Soldato
Intel-Core-i9-12900K-330W.png

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...mance-cores-reportedly-consumes-330w-of-power

Back
Top Bottom