The cost of living.

Soldato
How much had the increase in price on energy, food, fuel and other things this year affected your monthly income and lifestyle?

We have seen some crazy changes in prices this year i.e. during the first few months of covid, a local garage had diesel at 98p!

Now the same garage has diesel at 146.9p

Soldato
How much had the increase in price on energy, food, fuel and other things this year affected your monthly income and lifestyle?

We have seen some crazy changes in prices this year i.e. during the first few months of covid, a local garage had diesel at 98p!

Now the same garage has diesel at 146.9p
Good question about energy.

But as it's not really been a month since everyone was plonked onto high tariffs, it is prematurely asked.

Soldato
So far zero affect, not really noticed any changes in price. That's not to say there has been zero changes just none that stand out as a noticeable increase. Monthly outgoings have hardly changed. Well the one change noticed is the combined Gas/Electricity bill for October was lower then expected and gas was lower then this time last year while Electricity had gone up a small amount so it all balanced out.

Soldato
Energy has cost me £21 more a month.
Food is very difficult to quantify as it is very variable. I have noticed a few items going up around 10% or so over the past year? I really noticed the extra cost of using Morrison's delivery via Amazon when I unfortunately needed to use it a couple of times this year as it was about 2/3rds more expensive then shopping at Tesco myself.
Fuel, I drive so little it doesn't make a huge difference and I only fill up when I need to (which is less then once a month)

I think the government are going to have quite a problem on their hands next year if wages don't start rising significantly.

Man of Honour
So far it hasn't had an impact in terms of having to make changes - but I'm definitely noticing the increase in fuel cost driving a 3L V6 pickup :( and the increase in costs for energy isn't something I like spending my money on.

Sadly the ones who are going to be hit hardest by it are going to largely be the ones who can least afford it as well - I can see a lot of smaller businesses being put under a lot of pressure by the fuel and energy costs. I know plenty of people on lower incomes who have to do a lot of miles not out of choice.

Soldato
Rroff has a V6 pickup? What!? Since when?

I am ashamed to admit the recent increases in prices has meant I have had to saw the corner off of my sofa, and retire one of my many Gucci belts. Times be tough.

Soldato
Seems to be a problem faced crossed Europe.

Where I am at the moment the government has had to cap energy prices and limit profits from energy firms, whilst also blaming the EU for the problem. Inflation is 4% up form -0.32% last year and unemployment is about 15%

So far it's not affecting me too much, other than I don't sit with the aircon on all day. I hadn't really noticed fuel prices, but when I look on fuelly I can see I've spent about $300, mostly just around town and playing about off road.

Soldato
I'm similar, in that i don't really feel the impact at the moment.

Working from home means i only fill the car up around once a month, grocery shopping doesn't really seem to have changed much and the higher electric pricing will only kick in this month following a switch due to Green going bust, but i'd built up enough credit that i t in theory shouldn't increase prices too much. I've been working at home for around 18 months and don't really seem to have noticed an increase in bills from being office based to now anyway.

The biggest issue is that Waitrose have scrapped free delivery and now charge £3 per order :(

Soldato
Moved in to our new home last October, I wouldn't say we were tight budgeted from doing that but this next Winter with the price increases will definitely make us feel the pinch more. It's why I think a lot of people are moving jobs to try and get a better salary. It's why I am actively looking as we haven't had a decent payrise for 3+ years (none whatsoever last year)

Caporegime
NI increase and heating is going to have a big impact on me.

Nearly 100ppm if you add both is the estimate.
Definitely going to be 1k a year more with nothing to show for it.

On plus side I finish paying off my student loan soon and I think that will save me about the same a month? Maybe a bit more

Associate
Paid off my mortgage in 2020 as it had 5 years left to run and not getting any interest on savings and trimmed all the fat off any direct debits. Purchased a mobile phone outright and got a £8 rolling one month tariff for me and my my daughter.

Total outgoings per month now are around £450 for all direct debits but it just seems as they all keep nudging back up again. Direct debit for dual fuel to increase from £145 to £177, council tax increase and no doubt virgin media will take the **** once again.

I wish BT would hurry up and install fast fibre where I live so I can tell virgin to **** off.

Man of Honour
You can also add the new energy cap that will be in place by then. People coming out of fixed rate deals are in for a shock.
Then inflation will rise and the BoE will come under pressure to raise interest rates to control it. So mortgages might increase next year too.

Soldato
So far zero affect, not really noticed any changes in price. That's not to say there has been zero changes just none that stand out as a noticeable increase. Monthly outgoings have hardly changed. Well the one change noticed is the combined Gas/Electricity bill for October was lower then expected and gas was lower then this time last year while Electricity had gone up a small amount so it all balanced out.

You don't live in this country do you? Or do you not buy petrol and buy your own food ect?

Back
Top Bottom