Are you British or English, Scotish, Welsh or Nothern Irish

Soldato
As I no longer live in the UK I distance myself as much as possible from the English, as the English reputation is very poor around the world these days.

I always say I’m from my home country rather than British. I get a far better reaction and initial impression than when I say I’m British, which is always associated with English.
Weird. You should be proud of where you are from no matter what.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Welsh.

Although, I've found that if you tell someone abroad you're from Wales their eyes glaze over as many of our less travelled brethren don't know of it. Say "UK" and they snap back around and understand. They'll then proceed to call you English or ask "what part of England are you from?" :rolleyes::p

Soldato
Welsh.

Although, I've found that if you tell someone abroad you're from Wales their eyes glaze over as many of our less travelled brethren don't know of it. Say "UK" and they snap back around and understand. They'll then proceed to call you English or ask "what part of England are you from?" :rolleyes::p
Statistically at least it's a rational question.

Man of Honour
Weird. You should be proud of where you are from no matter what.

I take your point and I’d agree with you for the most part, but a few years back I went into a bar in Hernando Beach FL with my wife’s brother and our wives, he’s a rabid Millwall supporter.
The TV was showing an American football game, and my brother-in-law, in a none too quiet voice said, “Any chance of losing this carp, can you get Premier League games in here?”
If ever I felt like lapsing into French it was then.

Soldato
As an English person living in Scotland, I am British.

During the Six Nations I tell people I didn't choose where I was born but did choose where I live.

Wow nice, do your Scottish overlords allow you to be around them then? Maybe they'd respect you more if you had a backbone?

Man of Honour
The England Scotland rivalry is always played for jokes.

I’d agree with that, both sides take the P with no real malice intended,
but I think there’s a grain of truth in the old adage,
“The Scots support two teams, Scotland, and anyone playing England!”

Associate
People round here have been nowt but respectful. The England Scotland rivalry is always played for jokes and my response is part of that.

Dunno why that's got your knickers in a twist...

I left Scotland in 2001 and returned last year with my family. During that 19 years, lots of English people have chosen to move north of the border. But sadly, my daughters have been on the receiving end of bigotry at school. Thankfully not very often and it doesn't bother them. I can only imagine that as far as children are concerned, it's learnt behaviour from their parents; and I use the term 'parents' loosely.

I even remember posting in a thread a couple of years ago reassuring an Englishman considering moving him and his family to Scotland that the Anti-English agenda was a thing of the past. Sadly, it appears I was wrong.

There is however, an exception to every rule: The Calcutta Cup :D

Soldato
I take your point and I’d agree with you for the most part, but a few years back I went into a bar in Hernando Beach FL with my wife’s brother and our wives, he’s a rabid Millwall supporter.
The TV was showing an American football game, and my brother-in-law, in a none too quiet voice said, “Any chance of losing this carp, can you get Premier League games in here?”
If ever I felt like lapsing into French it was then.
I get your point. I lived in Spain for 4 years. I too felt a little ashamed to be English and tended to drink in bars that were off the tourist route.

I've since realised that you get complete plonkers in every flavor of nationality and the English infact have a great and colourful history that I am for one, proud of.

Soldato
I left Scotland in 2001 and returned last year with my family. During that 19 years, lots of English people have chosen to move north of the border. But sadly, my daughters have been on the receiving end of bigotry at school. Thankfully not very often and it doesn't bother them. I can only imagine that as far as children are concerned, it's learnt behaviour from their parents; and I use the term 'parents' loosely.

I even remember posting in a thread a couple of years ago reassuring an Englishman considering moving him and his family to Scotland that the Anti-English agenda was a thing of the past. Sadly, it appears I was wrong.

There is however, an exception to every rule: The Calcutta Cup :D

I got a lot of anti-Englishness at my primary school, as did another English family. They ended up moving away because of it. I think it was a few bad apples rather than anything more widespread as I haven’t really experienced it since. However, this was in Aberdeenshire and I just don’t think they like any non locals. Certainly had none of it since moving to Glasgow 15 years ago. I support England in sport, and happy to make people in the pub know that I do. I’ve never had any problems beyond a bit of friendly banter. I also hung a St George’s Cross outside my window when England were playing in the WC. No issues.

Back
Top Bottom