LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
I just bought a 48" C1 yesterday. What a screen!! When you think decent mid-high end monitors these days are in the high hundreds, this is somewhat of a bargain.

What's the recommended settings? I've changed HDMI1 to PC, enabled the gaming optimizer, done the custom resolution, anything else?

3840x1620 120hz is looking damn good.

Grats! I've only played around with the OLED brightness, switching between Energy Saver (OLED 20, Contrast 100, Screen 50), and Game Mode (OLED 68, Contrast 85, Screen 50) and set the Gamma to BT1886.
IIRC I've only changed the OLED brightness on those settings. Otherwise turned off the auto energy savings to keep the picture from fluctuating too much. ASBL remains on anyway. Oh and I turned off the auto power off after 4 (?) hours.
Otherwise it's the typical stuff. Black background, don't keep all your windows open all the time if you don't need them, moved my taskbar to screen 2.

About custom resolutions, I've played around with 1600p, 1620p and 1836p, but other than 1836p especially the fonts always kind of look off to me. Is it me? Is it WAI and I'm just losing my mind? 1836p remains perfect to me.
I've adjusted my script and New World now does the same as WoW before, change screen res + launch a notepad for notes, check if the game is running, and afterwards change back to natural UHD.

Associate
[I just bought a 48" C1 yesterday. What a screen!! When you think decent mid-high end monitors these days are in the high hundreds, this is somewhat of a bargain.

What's the recommended settings? I've changed HDMI1 to PC, enabled the gaming optimizer, done the custom resolution, anything else?

3840x1620 120hz is looking damn good.

I think you have done all you need to apart from make sure HDMI deep colour is on and Input latency to boost.

Soldato
@Wynter I've pretty much settled on 3840x1620 with scaling in windows at 150% I'm going to run the black bars all the time I think. This is my PC monitor now, nothing else, so if certain areas of the screen get messed up, so be it. Can't see me ever running anything full screen 16:9 as I sit too close lol

Text looks perfect. It didn't to start with, but I needed to reinstall windows as I was upgrading to 11, and ever since then it's been spot on. Easily better than my previous Samsung monitor with its VA panel. Maybe some settings from my old monitor, or cleartype was messing it up.

Associate
@Wynter I've pretty much settled on 3840x1620 with scaling in windows at 150% I'm going to run the black bars all the time I think. This is my PC monitor now, nothing else, so if certain areas of the screen get messed up, so be it. Can't see me ever running anything full screen 16:9 as I sit too close lol

Text looks perfect. It didn't to start with, but I needed to reinstall windows as I was upgrading to 11, and ever since then it's been spot on. Easily better than my previous Samsung monitor with its VA panel. Maybe some settings from my old monitor, or cleartype was messing it up.

150% on a 48"? O.O That was unexpected. Isn't that overwhelmingly large? I've seen the other end, my notebook has a 15.6" UHD screen and while the idea of so much real estate seemed great, my eyes didn't quite feel it.
150% there is a stretch and 175% quite alright.
I'll play around with 1620p again but can't commit to Win11 on the desktop because I'm stuck on a 6700K. Something just looked off to me. At 1836p the top and bottom were just cut off, at 1600 or 1620p the fonts looked different.

Be careful about running that resolution all the time, as it will likely cause uneven wear of the OLED pixels. Even Pixel Shift only goes so far. For my desktop environment I'll stick to UHD, just switch to black bars for gaming.

Associate
I use 125% scaling and find it spot on but that's full screen. I see what TheOracle is saying when he is going to use 3840x1620 exclusively so if the black border's create any degradation over time it will not matter as he will never use full screen.

Personally I use 3840x1600 for FPS games only with the rest at full screen.

Soldato
I'm not sure I'd say it was too large. Going any lower seems to make the text harder to read, this is all nice and crisp. Maybe I'll try 125% next and see how it goes for a couple of days.

Having had a Samsung 40" 4K TV before which I hated (too big!!) it's very surprising that a 48" feels much nicer to use. It must be because it's OLED, but I can use this for hours and not get any eye strain. It's actually better than my CRG9 ultrawide which I'll be selling at the weekend.

I've just turned off eco mode and set OLED brightness to 20 and gamma 2.2 which I'm finding looks really good.

Using custom res means games can't be fullscreen (rather borderless window), which looks the same expect I don't think you can run HDR. Cyberpunk 2077 still looked awesome!

dL1XBJd.jpg

Associate
Using custom res means games can't be fullscreen (rather borderless window), which looks the same expect I don't think you can run HDR. Cyberpunk 2077 still looked awesome!

Looks great wall mounted like that.

Hmm. How do you use the custom resolution? I created mine through the nV panel and later on found Qres to just CLI it for easy of use. https://pureinfotech.com/change-screen-resolution-command-line-windows-10/
Once the screen is running at a custom resolution, games run as before, fullscreen windowed borderless or fullscreen both looked the same. Regular windowed mode always left me with that annoying title bar and didn't need a custom resolution to be switched to beforehand. In my case WoW runs in fullscreen windowed borderless, New World does fullscreen.
I sadly can't remember the HDR bit, whether I'd run Mass Effect Legendary Edition at a native or custom resolution, but HDR worked there. Anything else is off standard here anyway since I'm still stuck with HDMI 2.0.
Haven't even really seen 120Hz just yet, except for a moment of Doom Eternal in 1440p IIRC. :( Some games just don't look that great at 1440p on the C1, like New World at medium settings for example. Damn was that mushy.

Soldato

If you use the desktop scaling option in NV control panel to create an ultra wide resolution such as 3840x1620 then it should show up in games as normal and work with fullscreen/HDR

Soldato
If you use the desktop scaling option in NV control panel to create an ultra wide resolution such as 3840x1620 then it should show up in games as normal and work with fullscreen/HDR

Yeah, I've done that but when setting games to full screen the TV indeed displays full screen but stretched (3840x1620 covering the entire TV). When set to window borderless, it shows up properly with the black bars top and bottom. I'm not sure that's got anything to do with my HDR issue though. I've had a quick look online and at least in CP2077, you have to enable HDR in windows first. When I try to toggle the HDR button to on, it goes straight back to off. Weird!

Soldato
Yeah, I've done that but when setting games to full screen the TV indeed displays full screen but stretched (3840x1620 covering the entire TV). When set to window borderless, it shows up properly with the black bars top and bottom. I'm not sure that's got anything to do with my HDR issue though. I've had a quick look online and at least in CP2077, you have to enable HDR in windows first. When I try to toggle the HDR button to on, it goes straight back to off. Weird!

You can set it to 'No scaling' on the nv control panel scaling tab and that should result in black bars in full screen mode.

Soldato
Whats the monitor distance on your setup @TheOracle ? what is it like for non-gaming scenario like Office or web browsing?

My desk is 65cm deep, and the TV sits 10cm off the wall. My desk is slightly off the wall as well, so I'd say from TV to my eye balls is approx 60cm.

I have zero issues with it. Simply none! Now the weird thing is, this isn't the first time I've tried using a TV as a monitor. Last year I tried a 40" Samsung 4K and hated it, so it went into the bedroom. It was just too big and it hurt my eyes.

This though, despite being 8" bigger, is fine. Don't ask me how or why, but I have no issues with it. I'm using it full screen 4K at the minute, and the clarity is as good as I've seen on a monitor and I've had a lot over the years!! Think I'll switch back to 3840x1620 as I prefer the wider screen, but good to have the choice.

Picture quality....well, it's OLED so it's gorgeous. The good news for me at least is I have no eyestrain, it 'feels' relaxing to use....again, don't ask me how on something this big!

Associate
Sony's first attempt at VRR is a disaster according to HDTVTest glad i have a LG CX.

https://youtu.be/TZKeKpp_GXQ
Sony is one of the worst companies out there. I'm definitely not surprised some crap like that. I mean, Sony has stupid and weird logics too.
And the sad part? I really wanted their 48A9 but as soon I learned it doesn't support 1440p/120 natively, I'm done. And then I learned too they have some idiotic choices. So far I'll only be waiting for LG OLED, no longer on other 42" OLED.

Associate
TV to my eye balls is approx 60cm. Think I'll switch back to 3840x1620 as I prefer the wider screen, but good to have the choice. Picture quality....well, it's OLED so it's gorgeous. The good news for me at least is I have no eyestrain, it 'feels' relaxing to use....again, don't ask me how on something this big!

60cm! way too close to an OLED TV with HDR on/off, 3840x1600 is only used because there cards can't handle full screen 4K @48inch, having a black bars top and bottom won't fix burn -in. If all you do all the time is play games with black bars, it will cause uneven wear on just the pixels that are in use so eventually over time the centre of your screen will be dimmer when watching full screen mode. I always thought setting a resolution other than native on any tv or monitor degrades image quality but that's you choice.

Soldato
60cm! way too close to an OLED TV with HDR on/off, 3840x1600 is only used because there cards can't handle full screen 4K @48inch, having a black bars top and bottom won't fix burn -in. If all you do all the time is play games with black bars, it will cause uneven wear on just the pixels that are in use so eventually over time the centre of your screen will be dimmer when watching full screen mode. I always thought setting a resolution other than native on any tv or monitor degrades image quality but that's you choice.

I too thought that, but check out these dimmensions

OLED (107cm wide / 44cm high) <- in wide resolution
Samsung CRG9 (193cm wide / 33cm high)

It's not anywhere near as bad as you think. If there was an ultrawide OLED monitor I would have bought that, but considering this is £1k for a 120hz OLED with G-Sync I was sold :D

Not bothered about the pixel wear, I won't notice it. Can't see me ever using 16:9, and fair enough, that would probably be too big for my viewing distance. If it goes bad, and I change my mind I'll simply have to sell it cheap/bin it and buy a new one.

I've been bitten by the ultrawide bug, can't go back now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom