Drove through a no motor vehicles except for access sign?

Associate
Sunday night we were unfortunately graced with positive lateral flow covid tests. Booked a PCR test in town however near the test site (not in their carpark just next door to the site) We drove through a "No motor vehicles except for access sign. for starters what's the point of the sign as the sat nav sent us down there but got me thinking are signs like this got cameras on them?

Sign one

Google Earth

sign two

Google Earth

Obviously you either go down here or through a bus gate which we didn't do so fine on that front. To be fair sat nav was showing this as the car park for the PCR test site however considering its all disabled or for every taxi in yorkshire its hard to do. Presume we will have been fine driving through here?

what a bloody point sign saying no cars unless.....unless you need too.

Associate
for starters what's the point of the sign as the sat nav sent us down there but got me thinking are signs like this got cameras on them?
Yes officer, I drove in to this lake because the sat nav told me.

The sign is there to tell you that there is no where to go apart from access to whatever is on the left. If you turned left, then all is well. If you continued on in to the bus gate then you are not a bus and are likely to get a fine.

Soldato
The signage is probably wrong.

Before the Bus Gate there's a direct instruction on the road to 'Turn Left', this is further reinforced by a sign nearby directing 'Other traffic' can use the next left turn to avoid the only other option of straight on through the bus gate. The no motorbikes and cars except taxis and for access seems to be in conflict with the preceding signage. You'd have to check the necessary signage literature as to the definition of 'for access'.

It's more likely any cameras are focused on the bus gate. Maybe the no motorbike and cars signs is intended for the junction opposite since that's the direction it's facing but I don't think they can use signage based on the direction someone came from, once you've passed that sign you've been forced to either be operating as a taxi or exercising the 'for access' purpose without having been given any other option.

Last edited:
Associate
Step 1: do something wrong. This step is not essential. Don't proceed if you haven't done something wrong.

Step 2a: hold your hands up, accept any consequences and move on. If this does not apply, proceed to Step 2b.

Step 2b: criticise everything you can think of in a poor attempt to distract everyone from/attempt to justify your original **** up.

As others have, quite rightly, stated; you're driving the car, not the sat nav.

Soldato
Step 1: do something wrong. This step is not essential. Don't proceed if you haven't done something wrong.

Step 2a: hold your hands up, accept any consequences and move on. If this does not apply, proceed to Step 2b.

Step 2b: criticise everything you can think of in a poor attempt to distract everyone from/attempt to justify your original **** up.

As others have, quite rightly, stated; you're driving the car, not the sat nav.

No, as I've stated, if you look at the google earth link in the OP you can pan around to get to the approach to that turning. It states you should turn left, it doesn't say only turn left if you're a taxi or for access until after you turn left and are then faced with different signage that was not facing the direction of traffic approaching towards the bus gate. I'm pretty sure it's incorrect signage on the entrance to that road unless 'for access' can also be taken as meaning to pass through but then there wouldn't be any point in having a sign like that at all.

I think they're trying to convey they don't want vehicles from the junction opposite to go down there but if that were the case some correct signage should be prior to the junction opposite in my opinion and the existing no vehicle signage should just be a one way sign.

This can be a good source of info...

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Last edited:
Associate
No, as I've stated, if you look at the google earth link in the OP you can pan around to get to the approach to that turning. It states you should turn left, it doesn't say only turn left if you're a taxi or for access until after you turn left and are then faced with different signage that was not facing the direction of traffic approaching towards the bus gate. I'm pretty sure it's incorrect signage on the entrance to that road unless 'for access' can also be taken as meaning to pass through but then there wouldn't be any point in having a sign like that at all.

I think they're trying to convey they don't want vehicles from the junction opposite to go down there but if that were the case some correct signage should be prior to the junction opposite in my opinion and the existing no vehicle signage should just be a one way sign.

Ahhhh, you see, I read the first line of your post, didn't look at the GE links as it's not installed on my phone, and assumed you were being sarcastic in true GD style.

So, I shall proceed to step 2a and 2b simultaneously: I made a mistake, but it's your fault for being serious in GD and GE images can sometimes warp around the edges giving similar perceptions from different angles. :D

Soldato
Ahhhh, you see, I read the first line of your post, didn't look at the GE links as it's not installed on my phone, and assumed you were being sarcastic in true GD style.

So, I shall proceed to step 2a and 2b simultaneously: I made a mistake, but it's your fault for being serious in GD and GE images can sometimes warp around the edges giving similar perceptions from different angles. :D

amateur :p:rolleyes:

Soldato
I remember, c.2016, going to a town in Warwickshire and using my sat nav, it asked me to turn right. The right turn was a no entry sign to it. How many people must have turned right without looking at the sign? I did ask a shop owner who has a shop on that road - how long has this road been one way. He said to me mid 00s. So the sat nav was giving info about a road which was one way for 10 years!

Soldato
Coventry Council almost got me on a bus lane violation but they had wrong signage and tried to in my opinion extract monies through menaces with their video of me in the bus lane but from the other end so nothing of the signs I'd passed (these were also adjustable to flip over to other signage) and there were no road markings either. They'd already been challenged and lost at least one appeal hearing so shouldn't have been claiming any law had been broken when it was unenforceable, bloody crooks. They chickened out of my appeal hearing before I had my chance to rub their noses in their stupidity to not get their signage correct.

Permabanned
Coventry Council almost got me on a bus lane violation but they had wrong signage and tried to in my opinion extract monies through menaces with their video of me in the bus lane but from the other end so nothing of the signs I'd passed (these were also adjustable to flip over to other signage) and there were no road markings either. They'd already been challenged and lost at least one appeal hearing so shouldn't have been claiming any law had been broken when it was unenforceable, bloody crooks. They chickened out of my appeal hearing before I had my chance to rub their noses in their stupidity to not get their signage correct.

• David Knight, 54, from Dorking, Surrey, received a fine for driving down a bus lane in Bath - but the builder immediately knew there had been a mistake
  • He and his wife, Paula, 54, looked at photographic evidence which showed a woman walking in the bus lane with the word KNITTER on her t-shirt
  • The council computer mixed up the wording on her t-shirt for a personalised registration plate on Mr Knight's Volkswagen van, KN19TER

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...it-90-fine-thanks-woman-Knitter-bus-lane.html

Soldato
  • David Knight, 54, from Dorking, Surrey, received a fine for driving down a bus lane in Bath - but the builder immediately knew there had been a mistake
  • He and his wife, Paula, 54, looked at photographic evidence which showed a woman walking in the bus lane with the word KNITTER on her t-shirt
  • The council computer mixed up the wording on her t-shirt for a personalised registration plate on Mr Knight's Volkswagen van, KN19TER

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...it-90-fine-thanks-woman-Knitter-bus-lane.html

Just shows you these things ought to be scrutinised by a human before being sent out.

Man of Honour
The satnav was allowing you to go down that road because it's allowed if you need to access those buildings only. e.g. the cars parked in the disabled bay had to drive through that sign to access the parking bays. I doubt there are cameras on that sign as they would not be able to tell who needs access and who doesn't. But you are responsible for where you drive, not your satnav.

Back
Top Bottom