Heat pumps

Soldato
It's the added cost. New rads all round?
Retro fitting. Need solar to actually be cheaper.

It's great it's greener but probably a long way off for me. Even though boiler is 20 years old it works well.

Doubling rad size would be very annoying the house isn't that big so it would be a noticeable loss of space. Do you actually have to double rad area?

The space for the outdoor part of the pump would be fine

its not necessarily double the size need to calculate the heatloss from the room then size accordingly but for sure the rads need a larger surface area because the water running through them is at alower temperature with a heat pump

Soldato
I got a quote when they were doing the old RHI scheme and to replace my 8 or so year old Combi using most of the existing rads (think I needed 4 replacements) plus all the associated gubbins came to 17.5k for a 4 bed house. Absolute mad money, the 5k is not sufficient, they provided initial numbers whereby it would pay it back eventually after about 12 years. As said above proper insulation will be required for most places to make it even remotely workable, but most people won't be entitled to these that would be going for the heat pumps i suspect.

Soldato
A lot of semi detached properties will struggle and terraced houses you can forget about it

I suppose for terraced houses, they'll have to relax the rule about it being in close proximity to neighbours property, for a thin/long terraced house you'll normally find you've got a kitchen window and then a door and that's it. Obviously leaving the only place for installation being under a kitchen window which will likely mean your neighbours having theirs positioned in the same place.

I wonder if it's easier to have a bigger one installed across both neighbour properties as some sort of shared ASHP (If bigger is more efficient / cheaper to install in relative terms). As long as the obvious being that it can produce equal amounts of heat to the property - can just imagine the uproar if one neighbour is hogging all the heat that it can produce.

Soldato
I suppose for terraced houses, they'll have to relax the rule about it being in close proximity to neighbours property, for a thin/long terraced house you'll normally find you've got a kitchen window and then a door and that's it. Obviously leaving the only place for installation being under a kitchen window which will likely mean your neighbours having theirs positioned in the same place.

I wonder if it's easier to have a bigger one installed across both neighbour properties as some sort of shared ASHP (If bigger is more efficient / cheaper to install in relative terms). As long as the obvious being that it can produce equal amounts of heat to the property - can just imagine the uproar if one neighbour is hogging all the heat that it can produce.

they wont relax the regulations just because of terraced properties that never happens in our industry

its because of noise complaints you cant have it next to others peoples properties

you will just have something else its not everything is going to be heat pumps guys

heat pumps are just the "in thing" at the moment just like solar was and all the grants for solar years and years ago

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a quote when they were doing the old RHI scheme and to replace my 8 or so year old Combi using most of the existing rads (think I needed 4 replacements) plus all the associated gubbins came to 17.5k for a 4 bed house. Absolute mad money, the 5k is not sufficient, they provided initial numbers whereby it would pay it back eventually after about 12 years. As said above proper insulation will be required for most places to make it even remotely workable, but most people won't be entitled to these that would be going for the heat pumps i suspect.

Yikes, that price seems extreme. I was quoted just over £10k for a 4 bed, £2k was the radiators (nearly all needed to be changed) and £8k was the ASHP and cylinder.

Soldato
they wont relax the regulations just because of terraced properties that never happens in our industry

its because of noise complaints you cant have it next to others peoples properties

you will just have something else its not everything is going to be heat pumps guys

heat pumps are just the "in thing" at the moment just like solar was and all the grants for solar years and years ago

Not exactly inconspicuous is it? :D

Soldato
On the insulation side, do you really need (subsidised) heat recovery ventilation too -
come winter time getting adequate fresh air in living space, dealing with bathrooms+kitchen ventilation, those represent a significant loss before considering improving the heating,

once that air tightness is fixed , could just have the heating on for longer period to offset the existing radiator sizing.

Soldato
Well I'm paying about £2.5k to have some replumbing done plus £1.5k on conventional style radiators (not sized for lower delta T). I think my 1940s detached house most certainly isn't insulated sufficiently for heat pumps!

Soldato

Going to be great when all the neighbours have these things whirring away 24/7 in the winter, we all know what fans are like after a few years.

This is limited to 90,000 homes so only a drop in the ocean of the change required but may help with improving efficiency and cost of production. The government will have to do a lot more to help though if this is the direction the country is going, you can't just force people to be greener by increasing the cost of everything. It unfairly impacts the poorest in society who can't afford to upgrade and can't afford the increased energy costs.

Soldato
Going to be great when all the neighbours have these things whirring away 24/7 in the winter, we all know what fans are like after a few years.

This is limited to 90,000 homes so only a drop in the ocean of the change required but may help with improving efficiency and cost of production. The government will have to do a lot more to help though if this is the direction the country is going, you can't just force people to be greener by increasing the cost of everything. It unfairly impacts the poorest in society who can't afford to upgrade and can't afford the increased energy costs.

they dont make much noise at all around 65db is about the loudest in the larger units

As for the fan extremely reliable same fans that been used in air con units for ever and a day

Soldato
OP

Tbh I don't think the government much cares about poor people...

Soldato
OP

That looks ridiculous, and is nearly as wide as my house. :p

Soldato
These look a lot like air con units but i'm guessing they only provide heat?
Seems daft to install one of these then separately have AC installed too.

They are the exact same tech that is in an AC unit or a fridge. The main difference is the application, heat pumps are typically heat water, A/C heats and cools the air, a fridge cools a cold plate in the back of the unit but fundamentally it’s the tech just applied in a different way.

I doubt these will get significantly cheaper in time. Heat pumps are not ‘new’ tech, they have been around for decades in AC and even longer in fridges.

Soldato
Don't think the governments £5k will do it. I worked on a heat pump housing job last year and it totalled up to £12k per unit, so that included ground source borehole+heat pump. Oh, and a good chance everyones radiators will need upgrading to bigger/more efficient ones too, heat pumps operate at lower temps.. Boris needs to find a bit more loose change if we are all to throw our gas boilers in the skip.

Soldato
they dont make much noise at all around 65db is about the loudest in the larger units

As for the fan extremely reliable same fans that been used in air con units for ever and a day
Untill all the bearings start to fail, people don't maintain their current boilers you think people will pay for a screeching fan??

Also people are forgetting the hot water tank, majority of cases will require a electric element in a tank to provide water for showers/ cleaning. So that's the attic or airing cupboard gone again.

Back
Top Bottom