Drove through a no motor vehicles except for access sign?

Soldato
The satnav was allowing you to go down that road because it's allowed if you need to access those buildings only. e.g. the cars parked in the disabled bay had to drive through that sign to access the parking bays. I doubt there are cameras on that sign as they would not be able to tell who needs access and who doesn't. But you are responsible for where you drive, not your satnav.

You have no choice other than to go left as directed by the earlier signs. The turn right is specifically prohibited and you can't go straight on as you'd be violating the bus gate.

Man of Honour
You have no choice other than to go left as directed by the earlier signs. The turn right is specifically prohibited and you can't go straight on as you'd be violating the bus gate.
You only have no choice at that point if you've driven down the bus lane to get there, or done an illegal left turn at the previous lights (which is what the OP appears to have done):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...4!1s4IvH-62Ks9eGETGoDVE-Cg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There is only one legal route to get to that access only road and that's directly opposite it, where you have options to turn left instead of going straight on:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...4!1snZ5rWAKj4-wvJriVrVFznQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The OP did an illegal left turn into a road which can only be accessed by buses and cycles and then a second illegal turn into a "no motor vehicles except access" road.

Last edited:
Soldato
We used to live on a lane with a "no cars or bikes (motor vehicles) except access" sign and its basically a warning no-one is going to enforce it. Its basically because its not suitable for general traffic i.e strictly only room for one vehicle at a time etc any regular traffic would have seen utter chaos so its yeah, a warning, not a good idea, rather than the county police are going to pounce on you if you dare set a wheel on it.

In short I wouldn't worry about it if its a one off but if you and everyone else make a habit of it steps may have to be taken to enforce it afterall I imagine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Step 1 - no left turn 'except for access'. You're accessing something.

0SC4vW5.png

After you have turned left, Step 2 - buses straight on, all other traffic turn left.

iBarOMp.png

After you have turned left again, Step 3 - no entry except for access, one way street.

K9pciQU.png

The road doesn't go anywhere basically. It runs back down the side of the road you first went up to the first left turn, and turns back on to that road again at the bottom.

It is a pointless sign. Complexity unnecessary if it wasn't for all these stupid bus lanes everywhere.

At least if you accidentally turn left, you have an escape route so you don't go down the bus lane.

Soldato
You only have no choice at that point if you've driven down the bus lane to get there, or done an illegal left turn at the previous lights (which is what the OP appears to have done):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...4!1s4IvH-62Ks9eGETGoDVE-Cg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There is only one legal route to get to that access only road and that's directly opposite it, where you have options to turn left instead of going straight on:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7...4!1snZ5rWAKj4-wvJriVrVFznQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The OP did an illegal left turn into a road which can only be accessed by buses and cycles and then a second illegal turn into a "no motor vehicles except access" road.

I agree unless he needed access ;)

Man of Honour
I agree unless he needed access ;)
Oh absolutely. That's why he's unlikley to have been "caught" on camera. The camera (there is a CCTV one on that first corner by the lights) wouldn't know if he has a genuine reason to go down there. But he really needs to pay attention to the road.

Soldato
Oh absolutely. That's why he's unlikley to have been "caught" on camera. The camera (there is a CCTV one on that first corner by the lights) wouldn't know if he has a genuine reason to go down there. But he really needs to pay attention to the road.

Unless it has operators monitoring it and checking whether the person actually stops to park or load / unload I guess. Should have stopped and checked the council office opening times.

Permabanned
Nick Freeman would probably ask where the specific limitations of the purpose of access are cited.... I suspect they aren't and one could say the purpose of access was to admire the architecture of the building :) Anyway, as the OP seems not to have returned maybe I am wrong and he's in a Bradford police cell awaiting a court appearance ;)

Back
Top Bottom