BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Map Updates

One last thing - how can I update his maps? I've seen you can download them online, is this illegal?
I don't know about any of the rest, so I won't offer help there, but you can buy the official year's worth of map updates with USB + over the air updates from the BMW store online. Over the air updates ONLY update your local country (UK in our case) but the USB download does the whole of Europe. I can't remember the cost, but it's realtively inexpensive (maybe around £100?).

/edit: map update package on my 2015 F80 was £79 I believe (that was USB + online)

It's not illegal to download them from another source, but you AFAIK you need a particular "key" to unlock and update it, and these have to be bought, either from BMW or from some other source.

Soldato
I don't know about any of the rest, so I won't offer help there, but you can buy the official year's worth of map updates with USB + over the air updates from the BMW store online. Over the air updates ONLY update your local country (UK in our case) but the USB download does the whole of Europe. I can't remember the cost, but it's realtively inexpensive (maybe around £100?).

/edit: map update package on my 2015 F80 was £79 I believe (that was USB + online)

It's not illegal to download them from another source, but you AFAIK you need a particular "key" to unlock and update it, and these have to be bought, either from BMW or from some other source.

Fab, thanks for the info :)

Where he lives, the main road passing past the town was changed (new roundabouts/junctions) so the sat nav doesn’t pick this up.

Man of Honour
It's worth noting that the update software can be quite picky with USB sticks. It also takes ages, I think my M3 was about 30 minutes in the car.

Soldato
I've always updated the maps myself by downloading and then generating the map FSC update key, no idea of the legaility but I just used E-Sys to retrieve specific info from the car and then used some software that I got from the F30 forums.

I use a 64Gb Sandisk USB stick formatted to NTFS, again for me a 32Gb isn't big enough, just and it takes around 40 minutes to update the maps. Just make sure you are going on a long journey as although the update is supposed to resume I've found that on shorter journeys it tends to start all over again.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The new parking cameras, etc. in latest BMWs are bloody impressive. Didn't stop my dad kerbing his nearside rear wheel within a week though...........

Reversing assistant is awesome as well. Amazingly useful technology!

Caporegime
Are they useful for parallel parking, avoiding kerbing wheels ... and bollards.
e: No then thanks

Well you do actually have to look at the image to avoid hitting things.

Midget. Boot. Gopro.

It's an expensive option, as you can imagine.

(Also, Cameras on the bottom of the door mirrors + front and rear bumpers)

Only expensive on BMWs because they bundle it in a pack along with other things. Standard on lots of rival cars higher specced models and available on its own in other countries on the bmw its only a £530 option.

Back
Top Bottom