Mozilla and Canonical packaging Firefox with Snap

Associate
Latest news for Ubuntu users, many Linux websites reporting on it but here's FOSS' take:

https://news.itsfoss.com/ubuntu-firefox-snap-default/

What's your view? Seems a very strange decision given how it went down with Chromium, I personally am not a fan of Snap packages and not particularly impressed with many of the activities of Mozilla lately. I would rather have an open source browser, but lately been considering a move to Vivaldi.

I'm definitely not a fan of trying to install the packaged versions from the repositories using apt to only find that under the hood, Ubuntu is giving you the Snap version.

I wonder if this is just the tip of the iceberg and moving forward, Canonical want as many applications as possible to be available as Snap packages?

Soldato
I wonder if this is just the tip of the iceberg and moving forward, Canonical want as many applications as possible to be available as Snap packages?

There's a thread somewhere on Ubuntu discourse where the devs are experimenting with an entire snap desktop bolted onto ubuntu core so users can run the long term version of core but always have all the latest desktop applications.

Associate
OP
There's a thread somewhere on Ubuntu discourse where the devs are experimenting with an entire snap desktop bolted onto ubuntu core so users can run the long term version of core but always have all the latest desktop applications.
Not sure I like the idea of that, I'd prefer more control over my system.

Soldato
I think they've done it so that Ubuntu users get Firefox updates sooner rather than having to wait 5-7 days to get the latest update.

My only problem is that snaps generally take a little while to open.

Soldato
Firefox Snap has just turned up in Impish...

It saved and moved over all the previous firefox settings apart from the tab bar was using the dark theme and there is now a firefox.tmp folder in the download folder and bleachbit now needs to be fixed.

Associate
OP
So I was watching Distro Tube on YouTube the other day and he said that the move was apparently driven by Mozilla, as opposed to Canonical. I'm all for people having the choice of using a Snap package if they want to - personally I prefer a package manager but I am probably stuck in my ways - but what I do object to is the apparent "you install Firefox via Apt but actually get a Snap install in the background".

Soldato
Apparently the Snap Devs are looking into ways that App developers can monetize their products through snap , things should kickoff when that goes public. :)

Associate
OP
Bloatware - multiple copies of everything, slow to load, the whole thing is a disaster.
I agree with MonkeyNut. Rather than having libraries in one place, you end up having multiple copies of the same libraries all over the place, as each Snap package contains everything needed to run it.

I'm not against people having the option to use Snap if they want, but what does grind my gears is getting a Snap package when I request the repository version via apt or Synaptic. Totally removes the control I have over the OS, what is installed and how.

Back
Top Bottom