New pc time

Soldato
Fuming, missed out on this mornings 3060ti drop due to my stupid bank Natwest. Kept asking me to approve the transaction via the mobile app. Yet when I did and went back to purchase page to clicked "ive approved button" it would just back out to payment screen again without letting me hit the button. Sad times

A lot of the Nvidia air drop sales get cancelled after you make the payment. You have to get lucky to receive a card.

Associate
Fuming, missed out on this mornings 3060ti drop due to my stupid bank Natwest. Kept asking me to approve the transaction via the mobile app. Yet when I did and went back to purchase page to clicked "ive approved button" it would just back out to payment screen again without letting me hit the button. Sad times
Same thing happenned to me last drop. Got a 3080 myself so friend helping me out trying to get the 3060ti for my son. had one in my basket but his bank approval app thing just sent everything sideways. Had one today too, but of course can't actually buy it, so deleted from my basket..one purchase per houshold is annoying(and yes, understand why they do it, but doesn't stop scalpers)
Did you try for the 3070ti? still cheaper than buying a 3060ti from a store. think was in stock for a few more mins

Soldato
Same thing happenned to me last drop. Got a 3080 myself so friend helping me out trying to get the 3060ti for my son. had one in my basket but his bank approval app thing just sent everything sideways. Had one today too, but of course can't actually buy it, so deleted from my basket..one purchase per houshold is annoying(and yes, understand why they do it, but doesn't stop scalpers)
Did you try for the 3070ti? still cheaper than buying a 3060ti from a store. think was in stock for a few more mins
It does stop scalpers to an extent as there is only so many card details and address' people can use, if it wasn't in place then the same people would be buying cards every drop and probably in multiples.

Associate
It does stop scalpers to an extent as there is only so many card details and address' people can use, if it wasn't in place then the same people would be buying cards every drop and probably in multiples.
and yet every time there's a drop, the next day a load get listed on auction site, with some having pics of multiple gpu's. As I say, I understand why they do it, but I'm just trying to build my son a pc...he's got a bank a/c but not exactly old enough to move out and buy his own home so he can get a gpu. Others have been in the same situation on this forum. A 1 per person policy is fair I think, but 1 per household? great if you're single, but not so good for families living under the same roof

Soldato
and yet every time there's a drop, the next day a load get listed on auction site, with some having pics of multiple gpu's. As I say, I understand why they do it, but I'm just trying to build my son a pc...he's got a bank a/c but not exactly old enough to move out and buy his own home so he can get a gpu. Others have been in the same situation on this forum. A 1 per person policy is fair I think, but 1 per household? great if you're single, but not so good for families living under the same roof
For all the hassle of trying to circumvent the rules your probably best picking up an 3060ti AIB model and mining on it when not in use for gaming and in 3 months you'll have made back the difference.

Associate
OP

Nope, just gave up and sat In work van in silence. So frustrated as was on my phone when it dropped. So thought I'd have been pretty quick. Never mind, have to wait a little longer before starting my build now

Associate
Nope, just gave up and sat In work van in silence. So frustrated as was on my phone when it dropped. So thought I'd have been pretty quick. Never mind, have to wait a little longer before starting my build now
you can get a Palit 3060 for £435 at mo if you search(not a 3060ti, just standard 3060)

Associate
OP
So since graphics cards are starting to become more available starting to look at building this pc finally. Old pc is slowly dying a slow death each day takes longer to boot lol.

Question is, which card ?. Do I go for the 3060ti or spend more and grab the 3070 /3070ti ?. Will the 3070 help with maybe VR if I decide to go down that route as well as casual gaming.

Associate
VR benchmark results are not that easy to find but here are some.

3070 is approx 10% faster than 3060ti and 3070ti would be approx 10% faster again. This is in line with the cards in question general performance so the 3060ti is the best bang for buck imho. This is not really a surprise because they are all very similar chips with the 3060ti having the same 256bit bus as the 3070 and 3070ti.

Associate
VR benchmark results are not that easy to find but here are some.

3070 is approx 10% faster than 3060ti and 3070ti would be approx 10% faster again. This is in line with the cards in question general performance so the 3060ti is the best bang for buck imho. This is not really a surprise because they are all very similar chips with the 3060ti having the same 256bit bus as the 3070 and 3070ti.

At end of day depends when you buy and for what resolution. FE cards best bang for your buck for nvidia. Unfortunately, 3060tife all out of stock again...the 3070FE still in stock. so 3070FE becomes best bang for buck atm as you can get it for the same price as an aib 3060ti( and only the cheapest ones at that on OCuk). Also you want to take into account what are you intending to play on...4k, look at 3080 or above etc

Associate
hi all, am thinking of finally changing my 14 year old pc.

It's slowly becoming slower and slower. So thinking it's to to just purchase a new pc as the current specs are Intel core 2 duo E4500, 3gb ram, with a as rock conroe 133-d667 motherboard and ati radeon HD 4600 series graphics card.

ideally i only use a pc to surf and watch my own sourced tv content at the minute but eventually I'd like to upgrade to be able to run something like Microsoft Flight Simulator, although that's not a necessity right now.

i've not built a pc for many of years so hoping you more knowledgeable people will be able to point me in the right direction please.

Think with graphics cards prices been stupid its prob best leaving alone, unless someone can point out something that would be usuable for time been as budget wise at minute is £500-700
That’s a pretty old rig you’ve got there!

Amazing how long computers can last even if you don’t upgrade then every year.

Associate
OP

At end of day depends when you buy and for what resolution. FE cards best bang for your buck for nvidia. Unfortunately, 3060tife all out of stock again...the 3070FE still in stock. so 3070FE becomes best bang for buck atm as you can get it for the same price as an aib 3060ti( and only the cheapest ones at that on OCuk). Also you want to take into account what are you intending to play on...4k, look at 3080 or above etc

I'll probably aim to go for 1440p

Associate
OP
Yes. I used a 3060 ti for 1440P gaming and it was fine but I did want that bit more in FPS.

Doesn’t help that I was playing PUBG but even in BF1/5 it wasn’t amazing.
sweet, think if i purchase now it'll be for the 3070ti. now just to decide is it worth buying now or on a drop ? or wait till the 4000 series is out ? and building then

Associate
sweet, think if i purchase now it'll be for the 3070ti. now just to decide is it worth buying now or on a drop ? or wait till the 4000 series is out ? and building then
don't need to wait for a drop FE card avaiable atm...just need to decide if buy now, or wait for 4000 series..If I remember right it'll be the more powerful cards 1st, not sure on the AMD side of things

Associate
OP
Deciding when to buy is the main issue am having now. I guess even if I wait, how long is the wait going to be ? Especially if the cards are snapped up quickly and I miss out on a few, could end up waiting longer and longer.

Also guessing that the 3000 series prices won't drop too much either when the 4000 series is released.

Associate
OP
been having a look at a final build, would appreciate any help from you guys who are a lot more knowledgable then me. anyway here's what i put together.

1 X Aerocool Aero One Mini Eclipse ARGB Micro- ATX Case - Black Tempered Glass - £59.99
SKU
: CA-21N-AE

1 X AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core 4.6GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - £209.99
SKU
: CP-3CC-AM

1 X MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi (AMD AM4) B550 Micro-ATX Motherboard - £109.99
SKU
: MB-358-MS

1 X Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit - £79.99
SKU
: MY-4C1-CS

1 X Crucial BX500 1TB SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive - £79.99
SKU
: HD-06V-CR

1 X Seasonic G12-GC-850 850W 80+ Gold Power supply - £79.99
SKU
: CA-07K-SS

Grand Total: £632.24

Then adding a 3070ti FE at £549, so still within my original budget at around £500-700 plus then a graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom