**** Please enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account ****

Associate
Well logged into forum today to find this 2fa crap, do it or no forum! Really not necessary for a forum. 14yrs and no problems. Anyhow, don't like having to use phone apps so chose the email route only to find they sent the code to an email address I don't use despite the fact my current email address has been so for years and then spoke to customer service who confirmed my current email address is correct. So why is the code being sent to an email address I don't use and haven't for years. Couldn't make it up. Forced to use phone app on the wife's phone, google authenticator, which did the trick. I'm getting on a bit and don't like this ****. To be honest the way prices have been, particularly graphics cards it seems, my days of tinkering and home builds are coming to an end, maybe just as well eh!

Forum email and store email are separate - maybe you updated your store email address when you switched over but didn't update your forum email address?

Associate
No were not doing something different or clearing cookies. We get booted out often and having to log back in and then do 2FA is annoying. I am on 3 times today as is.

Soldato
Meanwhile on the forum the only thing stopping someone from committing fraud with a compromised account in MM was their normal password.

I'm sure you guys already thought about it but could you not make 2FA just a requirement of the MM access?

Though I guess if someone hacks an account they can just set up 2FA using their phone and access the MM. Never mind, answered my own question there. :)

Don
No were not doing something different or clearing cookies. We get booted out often and having to log back in and then do 2FA is annoying. I am on 3 times today as is.

Well you clearly are as it's working fine on 3 different devices here and for plenty of other people.

Trying to find out what is different as to why you are being booted out?

Commissario
Well logged into forum today to find this 2fa crap, do it or no forum! Really not necessary for a forum. 14yrs and no problems. Anyhow, don't like having to use phone apps so chose the email route only to find they sent the code to an email address I don't use despite the fact my current email address has been so for years and then spoke to customer service who confirmed my current email address is correct. So why is the code being sent to an email address I don't use and haven't for years. Couldn't make it up. Forced to use phone app on the wife's phone, google authenticator, which did the trick. I'm getting on a bit and don't like this ****. To be honest the way prices have been, particularly graphics cards it seems, my days of tinkering and home builds are coming to an end, maybe just as well eh!
You chose the email address when you signed up here? :confused:

EDIT - checked your account and it looks like you've updated it

Soldato
Frankly it's very annoying and is likely to significantly cut down the amount of times I visit the forum, especially as depending on the time of day it could be from one of up to 4 devices (main PC, laptop, tablet or phone). Unless of course that is the idea?
If it's to prevent DDOS attacks then why not just use Cloudflare, with or without, preferably without, the captchas?
And if I'm not visiting the forum, then the likelihood is I won't think of the shop either as my first port of call when looking for tech.

Soldato
Frankly it's very annoying and is likely to significantly cut down the amount of times I visit the forum, especially as depending on the time of day it could be from one of up to 4 devices (main PC, laptop, tablet or phone)

I use three devices and it's not really a problem.

Commissario
Frankly it's very annoying and is likely to significantly cut down the amount of times I visit the forum, especially as depending on the time of day it could be from one of up to 4 devices (main PC, laptop, tablet or phone). Unless of course that is the idea?
If it's to prevent DDOS attacks then why not just use Cloudflare, with or without, preferably without, the captchas?
And if I'm not visiting the forum, then the likelihood is I won't think of the shop either as my first port of call when looking for tech.
It's nothing to do with DDOS, it's to do with people gaining access to user accounts on the forum due to things like reuse of account details and other places being compromised, or simply guessing because someone has used a password that is easy to guess from their posts here/elsewhere.

Soldato
Dear OCUK

We don't like change and protection of our accounts, how dare you put our interests first and stop people being scammed on MM without asking if we'd like to be ripped off first, this is an outrage of the highest order. We shall show our protest by obeying your draconian decision just so we can complain as that's what we do best.

Yours Sincerely

Boomers

Commissario
OP
Dear OCUK

We don't like change and protection of our accounts, how dare you put our interests first and stop people being scammed on MM without asking if we'd like to be ripped off first, this is an outrage of the highest order. We shall show our protest by obeying your draconian decision just so we can complain as that's what we do best.

Yours Sincerely

Boomers

That was genuinely a great post apart from the last word.

Commissario
OP
Seeing as my email on this got closed ( hey I didn’t see this shoot me lol ). I can’t use the email option as it throws up a random email of my email name and wanadoo as end of email or some bs.

Remember the shop and forum accounts are different. If the email address attached to your forum account is wrong, just update it.

Soldato
Remember the shop and forum accounts are different. If the email address attached to your forum account is wrong, just update it.

No they are exactly the same. I’ve never even used whatever it’s come up with.

what the heck is wanadoo.co.uk as an email verification? I’ve NEVER used that as an email. So the email confirmation is broken.

I literally can’t use my own email address

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom