Reducing a computers EMI improves picture quality of attached monitors.

Soldato
Shouldn't be any problem for a company making the cables to show their cables improving an audio output right?

And they don't ever. The very best they do is sitting in a room telling you the sound is amazingly better.

Just like them you are hiding from proper testing and it needs no special equipment at all. In fact I already know you have the equipment needed, speakers.

I can hear the differences in this video between power cables

But here's the clips without a guy telling you what the cables are and you've been so silent about these I'm coming to the conclusion you're lying to us and yourself.

https://www.mboxdrive.com/Cable1.mp3
https://www.mboxdrive.com/Cable2.mp3
https://www.mboxdrive.com/Cable3.mp3

Is this why "audiophiles" never do blind testing and never touch test equipment to check their £20,000 gear does what the "audiophile" salesmen say.

Soldato
Everyone here is wrong regarding EMI and it's effect on computers. From the following link.

https://www.deepcoat.com/why-emi-shielding-is-essential-in-data-centers/

The effects of EMI can be drastic. When it occurs, you may notice shaky monitor screens or system failures. At times, the interferences can be so bad that information gets scrambled and hard disks can become completely wiped. Additionally, some people use EMI to their advantage. They take it as an opportunity to intentionally mess with signals without having to take a step inside of a data center.

Shock horror as business who provide EMI shielding try to promote EMI shielding. Do you have any independent sources?

Also, that is referring to extreme cases, which are a) very unlikely to occur in your completely normal bedroom and b) still wouldn't cause the subtle display effects you are describing - if it was that bad you'd be experiencing display artifacting and crashes. If you've ever experienced a failing HDMI cable, you get little sparkles all over the screen - that's the kind of problem you'd get.

Flooding is also bad for datacentres, but you wouldn't expect an improvement in image quality by sticking a dehumidifier next to your monitor! :cry:

The Russ Andrews power cables are reducing EMI, and the Tacima is also reducing some radio interference and providing basic mains conditioning. Anyone dismissing this before trying for themselves is not being objective.

No one is disputing that. What we are disputing is that they have any effect whatsoever on the digital display signal sent to your monitor.

I don't need to try it for myself because the effect you are describing is literally impossible without breaking physics.

Don
The effects of EMI can be drastic. When it occurs, you may notice shaky monitor screens or system failures. At times, the interferences can be so bad that information gets scrambled and hard disks can become completely wiped.

Better buy myself a load of Russ Andrews cables for my server room at work - it has so many three phase electric cables running past it, I'm surprised my rack monitor hasn't shaken itself loose, and the hard drives aren't wiping themselves on a daily basis

Soldato
Interesting video, but I must have missed where they explained how EMI decodes the digital signal, reduces the contrast, makes the whites darker and blacks lighter, then re-encodes it, do you have a timestamp?

Don
Linus is talking about display cables, he also mentions how interference effects them.

And equally you've managed to misinterpret it. It's still a case of them either working or not - the example without connected ground wires *may* be more susceptible to EMI, but even if it was it would simply stop working, as the 0's and 1's wouldn't be clearly identified.

Reducing EMI doesn't make the blacks more black or add more contrast

Soldato
OP
Reducing EMI doesn't make the blacks more black or add more contrast

It's possible I'm seeing a sharper picture, and I've interpreted this as better contrast and colours. My theory was some EMI was getting into the monitors from the display cables.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I switched out the RA power cable + Tacima to the computer, and used a standard IEC PC cable to the wall.

This is what I noticed. The picture quality degraded, and the source quality from my Asus Essence STX II changed back. I ran like this for 2 days.

After those 2 days I refitted the RA power cable, picture quality on monitors improved, and source sound quality improved. The treble is less harsh with deeper bass and more detailed mids.

I've also done the same with my HTPC in the lounge this being change the standard PC power cable to a RA classic power cord + Tacima, exactly same result Asus Essence ST sounds better and better picture from the 50" TV connected to the HTPC.

I know the overwhelming majority think the above is nonsense, however I'll never in my life run a standard IEC cable on a computer I'm using ever again, certainly not one i'm working at for long periods or using as an audio source.

And to remove any confusion, this picture shows what I've been doing. The PSU in photo is a Seasonic Titanium thats ready to go into a new PC build.

AM-JKLU9kZfOsK9v4lsNvjgQ5uJkQJy4gvnKjCe6QQpqvYE9DRPn_kJ1hkJzDJg5Ovii6pbCE3YL-75pv9feWXbxvtftgoaI0LbrF98uASof6K5d1Ok_MIQnMRGgjUoLict8YdcKXYYKbRfm5iEHqViz6Eoy=w799-h599-no

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you think just buying the RA power cable would be enough to see or hear a difference?

I am actually thinking of buying this just so I can say if its BS or not :D

I do not think its fair for me to sit here and tell you how much BS you are posting without actually having a go.

Soldato
If there is a visible difference how are we so far through this thread without any comparison images?

You can produce images that show the difference between high and low quality analogue video cables, so let's see it.

Audio is much more subjective and probably a waste of time here.

Soldato
Yeah well you'd think someone who presented evidence in the thread that they can hear a power cable being changed in a specific video would be able to identify the power cable being changed when the video guy telling you he's changing the cable is cut out... But apparently that guy talking was super important to identifying the cable.

Linus is talking about display cables, he also mentions how interference effects them.

At 11:10 Linus mentions the BS and snake oil that infests cable selling...

Seems appropriate since they're doing proper testing of HDMI cable with zero eye or ear based "trust me bro" measurements which is what you are offering even when linking sources.

HDMI cable is well known for having signal issues if not built to spec (there are several specs and scumbags may also sell cheaper spec as higher) or losing the signal by being made too long. As you can see, getting tested with a proper tool.

Soldato
HDMI cable is well known for having signal issues if not built to spec (there are several specs and scumbags may also sell cheaper spec as higher) or losing the signal by being made too long. As you can see, getting tested with a proper tool.

And it's very easy to tell when it has issues because it either cuts out completely, or you end up with clearly visible sparkles/snow. Not with slightly muted colours and lowered contrast :cry:

Soldato
OP
Do you think just buying the RA power cable would be enough to see or hear a difference?

Possibly, but would get the Tacima also.

Look for a RA Classic PowerKord, those are the ones I'm using on my computers, about £40 on the bay.

You can produce images that show the difference between high and low quality analogue video cables, so let's see it.

The picture differences can't be captured, even I'm struggling to understand what has happened. I'm wondering now if it's a sharper picture, and I mistook this for better contrast or colours.

It's the same with the audio, deeper bass, softer high's, better mids. This is subtle but I can assure you it's there.

Repeated the above both on my office PC, and HTPC in front room.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seems appropriate since they're doing proper testing of HDMI cable with zero eye or ear based "trust me bro" measurements which is what you are offering even when linking sources.

If I could somehow show some actual data I would but I can't. I'm sitting in a 4 bedroom house in Wistaston Crewe, I don't have a spare bedroom kitted out with audio & visual test equipment.. A camera or microphone is not enough to pick the differences up.

I did however do one test last month, I posted about how Van Damme silver interconnects reduce noise over a stock interconnect. Just like this thread few believed me, so did the following showing how the Van Damme cable does reduce noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQRFtBXu1w

Soldato
If I could somehow show some actual data I would but I can't. I'm sitting in a 4 bedroom house in Wistaston Crewe, I don't have a spare bedroom kitted out with audio & visual test equipment.. A camera or microphone is not enough to pick the differences up.

I did however do one test last month, I posted about how Van Damme silver interconnects reduce noise over a stock interconnect. Just like this thread few believed me, so did the following showing how the Van Damme cable does reduce noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQRFtBXu1w

You presented a power cable test and said you heard it change the audio with the equipment you already have.

The data you can provide is backing that statement up by identifying the audio changes with the video removed, the guys voice removed and the song sample cropped to the same start and end note unlike the original. All you need to do is use the same equipment you used to listen to the video the first time.

And I am not surprised if the dead and resurrected maplin is selling an analogue audio cable which isn't great.

But it's a distraction since all this time you've been swapping a power cable and saying the digital video output and audio output many components later is improved.

Back
Top Bottom