Heat pumps

Soldato
They are the exact same tech that is in an AC unit or a fridge. The main difference is the application, heat pumps are typically heat water, A/C heats and cools the air, a fridge cools a cold plate in the back of the unit but fundamentally it’s the tech just applied in a different way.

I doubt these will get significantly cheaper in time. Heat pumps are not ‘new’ tech, they have been around for decades in AC and even longer in fridges.

The problem with using them to cool is the dew point, air conditioning has condensation drains to remove water. Imagine all your radiators or floor being below the dew point and covered in condensation.

Soldato
The problem with using them to cool is the dew point, air conditioning has condensation drains to remove water. Imagine all your radiators or floor being below the dew point and covered in condensation.

Why would your rads need condensation detains? A heat pump doesn’t cool like an AC, it’s the process running in reverse, the outside unit gets cold and that’s where the condensation forms.

Soldato
Why would your rads need condensation detains? A heat pump doesn’t cool like an AC, it’s the process running in reverse, the outside unit gets cold and that’s where the condensation forms.
The original guy was talking about reversing the compression path and using the heat pumps as a method to cool down the house in the summer, so I was saying the major negative to reversing the flow.

Soldato
I wonder how much of this is just noise because of COP26 next month...
Er, about 95% of it ;)

Boris could consider this:
Estimated total cost of Palace of Wesminster refurbishment - £12bn (I would deduct heat pump allowance, but they are not using them)
£12bn = 2.4million £5k grants. Thats a fair few old boilers made redundant ....

Soldato
Old poorly insulated cottage here. I don't think heat pump is an option for me.

HPCH systems suit highly insulated, modern houses. 200 year old stone farmhouses like mine, not so much.

If I had a spare €30K, I could have the roof re-laid with insulating panels underneath the tiles and UPVC double glazing fitted everywhere, but it would still not get anywhere near the thermal insulation of a modern home.

Soldato
HPCH systems suit highly insulated, modern houses. 200 year old stone farmhouses like mine, not so much.

If I had a spare €30K, I could have the roof re-laid with insulating panels underneath the tiles and UPVC double glazing fitted everywhere, but it would still not get anywhere near the thermal insulation of a modern home.
Same here, solid brick victorian 3 storey, no roof insulation, no floor insulation in kitchen.... its basically passive-arse.

Soldato
Going to be great when all the neighbours have these things whirring away 24/7 in the winter, we all know what fans are like after a few years.

This is limited to 90,000 homes so only a drop in the ocean of the change required but may help with improving efficiency and cost of production. The government will have to do a lot more to help though if this is the direction the country is going, you can't just force people to be greener by increasing the cost of everything. It unfairly impacts the poorest in society who can't afford to upgrade and can't afford the increased energy costs.

For those in flats where on earth are they going to put those? Theres barely enough brickwork outside the windows! For an entire block its going to be colossal both in size and in cost which naturally as leaseholders the agents will quote a massively oversized bill for which you won't be able to challege.

The other issue it they all run off electricity what with this and electric cars can you imagine the drain on the Grid?! They're already worrying about the demand from cars. We're going to end up like Lebanon...

If I was being cynical I'd say it was all show for Cop26 and like the subsidies for solar a few years ago the govt were mad for it'll be dropped like a hot potato at some point

David Cameron: "get rid of this green crap!" when it was no longer fashionable to talk/seen to be doing something about it.

Soldato
I’d suggest thinking a bit more outside the ‘1 air source heat pump for each flat’ box.

Flats are an interesting preposition because you can very cost effectively install one set of bore holes for ground source heating for tens of flats. I think the company is called Kensa and they are doing loads of social housing tower blocks at the moment. https://www.kensaheatpumps.com/ground-source-heat-pumps-in-flats/

‘District’ heating where people share a heating system is much more common elsewhere but we are very much in mindset of individual systems for each unit.

Soldato
Well so far it sounds like heat pumps mean huge radiators, lukewarm water and exorbitant installation costs. Not looking good.
Pretty much sums it up,

You either need underfloor heaters or over large heaters as water peak temperature is 45 degrees.

For washing and cleaning hot water, you need a hot water tank and a immersion heater as the heat pump will take too long to heat up a decent proportion of water.

You'll need to have a electric heating element fitted to the expansion vessel if you live in the north of the country reducing the electrical efficiency in the cold ( unless you go for ground source)

Associate
Pretty much sums it up,.....

For washing and cleaning hot water, you need a hot water tank and a immersion heater as the heat pump will take too long to heat up a decent proportion of water.

You'll need to have a electric heating element fitted to the expansion vessel if you live in the north of the country reducing the electrical efficiency in the cold ( unless you go for ground source)

I've had a air source heat pump since may. We have a 300liter hot water cylinder which supplies sufficient water continuously for showers and general washing/baths.

I was without water for a few days due to a hole being drilled into a pipe by an electrician...the water was still hot after this time.. the cylinder is really well insulated (had to.have a new cylinder)

I think all cylinders come with an immersion to.run anti.legionaires once a week, it heats it to 60 degrees. Normally it sits st 45.

I've gone from being on oil.and.ive not noticed a differance with the hw

Re central.heating..we had to get all the rads changed and the plumbing/ hot water pipes as they were old..we were / are renovating our house anyhow.so.it wasnt too.much hassle.

But would be a.pita if you didnt want floor.board pulled up and holes made.

The heating works fine, - 1920's detached with new double glazing, wall insulation and I have about 400mm of insulation in the loft...live on exmoor

All in cost 15k...although managed to get a 5k green homes grant and rhi payments.

I didnt really have a choice as the heating system was knackered...if I had the choice not to.change as the system.i had was fine...would I do it??

Probably, the attraction for me was the incentive and getting rid of a 3000 litre tank of oil in my back garden

Soldato
Er, about 95% of it ;)
Estimated total cost of Palace of Wesminster refurbishment - £12bn (I would deduct heat pump allowance, but they are not using them)
£12bn = 2.4million £5k grants. Thats a fair few old boilers made redundant ....

Uh huh.

So poorer people will have to make do with higher cost, innefective heating systems whilst they splash out all the money on themselves.

Sounds about right.

Associate
Well, 5000 doesn't go far when dealing with heat pumps. We were seriously considering fitting a heat pump this year and has several companies out for quotes, with 2-3 hour survey completed each time to look at room sizes, radiator sizes, =insulation, etc. The quotes came back saying no new radiators needing (they are already oversized), no insulation needed, but a new hot water cylinder needed (due to the need for a more efficient heating coil). Prices were all between 12-13000 fitted.

Even witha 5000 grant taken into consideration that is a lot of cash to end up saving £12 a year, (Yes, £12.00) from the official estimates that you get at the end of the survey process. So, 8000 divided by 12. Let me think, is that worth it?

Soldato
I think all cylinders come with an immersion to.run anti.legionaires once a week, it heats it to 60 degrees. Normally it sits st 45.
I've gone from being on oil.and.ive not noticed a differance with the hw

belated comment - how has your input energy use changed for hot water versus prior oil use (seems a litre of oil is 10Kwhr ?)

Back
Top Bottom