The cost of living.

Soldato
The thing I will never understand is the cost of house buying down south vs up north. I recently bought a house up north and the same house model is literally twice the price if I had bought in Essex. The pay from the same job pays only 3k more working from the London office... absolutely insane.
As someone who moved from the North to the South, I can tell you right now there are a gazillion more opportunities down here. I'm not saying there aren't opportunities in the North, but the diversity of 'same but different' jobs down here with much more progression is hugely better.

£3k for the same job doesn't sound too bonkers, but the person in London won't be sitting in that job for long I would bet.

Soldato
The thing I will never understand is the cost of house buying down south vs up north. I recently bought a house up north and the same house model is literally twice the price if I had bought in Essex. The pay from the same job pays only 3k more working from the London office... absolutely insane.

For most people it's worth the price premium for the nicer weather and to be further away from the white walkers. Plus there are supposed to be more better paid employment opportunities.

Associate
As someone who moved from the North to the South, I can tell you right now there are a gazillion more opportunities down here. I'm not saying there aren't opportunities in the North, but the diversity of 'same but different' jobs down here with much more progression is hugely better.

£3k for the same job doesn't sound too bonkers, but the person in London won't be sitting in that job for long I would bet.

Fair however if my house is twice the price I'd doubt I'd get double the salary. I mean maybe I would be the wife may not too.

Genuinely I know people in London in comparable salary situations but in ok houses where by nearly all their salary goes on rent...there ain't nowt queer as folk lol

Soldato
Genuinely I know people in London in comparable salary situations but in ok houses where by nearly all their salary goes on rent...there ain't nowt queer as folk lol
Yeah I time-boxed myself to make it or break it within 5 years. I also did it young where house shares were not driving me nuts. But I know folk who should have timed out and are now 30+ too proud to live in a house share spending over 50% of their salary on rent :(. However, it's never too late as the Colonel taught us...

Caporegime
When I have beans on toast, I have two slices with beans. About three quarters is perfect, but I have a quarter left over which is not enough for anything so just gets chucked. 300g is the perfect amount. Should be around 70p though.

Soldato
300g is perfect for a one person beans on toast. The full size ones are still available, so it’s just giving us options. It’s not really shrinkflation

Just wait until the 300g tin goes up 5p and the 415g tin rises substantially.... and I bet the supermarkets will agree with Heinz to market the smaller tin at the same eye level as the previous full size tin.

Soldato
When I have beans on toast, I have two slices with beans. About three quarters is perfect, but I have a quarter left over which is not enough for anything so just gets chucked. 300g is the perfect amount. Should be around 70p though.
Save it for adding to a casserole or mince mixture for jacket potatoes.

I hate people binning food like this. If people put a monetary value on food they bin, it would make them think twice binning. A third of a loaf - 20p-50p etc

Soldato
What about people who always buy bags when shopping? This must be the easiest things to save money on. Don’t use them as bin bags! Either reuse bags until they get full of holes or handle breaks and get replacement for free. Or buy some strong sturdy bags instead.

For some people, esp the customers that shop at my work and live in the council estate opposite who always buy a bag or two. A bag for life for them is a bag for 10 mins.

England has had the bag charge in place for 6 years and it should have been time where hardly a soul buys one. Keep hearing bags have been reduced by 96%. But where I live, it’s probably only been reduced by 6%!

Have only purchased about 8 carrier bags since the charge. One time, I bought a coat and didn’t have a bag big enough for it. At least three times was, I only brought two bags with me and one of them split. As this wasn’t a bag from the shop I was in, had to buy one.

Soldato
You don't live in this country do you? Or do you not buy petrol and buy your own food ect?
Unless I got my maths wrong if I use the same number of Electricity units per month as last year my Electricity has only gone up £2.72 a month, not really that noticeable as Gas has got cheaper per unit with a bill decease. Enough to balance out the Electricity increase so the total increase is pretty much unnoticeable.

Foods bills have not changed still under £50 per person per week. It varies week to week but on the hole no real change.

Fuel is 125.9p cheapest or my local is 132.9p again no real difference in cost of living for me. I do live here and like I said before unless things change I am not noticing a difference so far in cost of living.

Soldato

Completely industry dependent, if you look at law for example -

Eversheds Sutherland has increased the salaries of its newly qualified (NQ) solicitors across its London and regional offices, the firm announced today. London NQs now earn £82,000, up 9% from £75,500, with those in the regions on £50,000, a rise of 11% from £45,000.

So London weighting is huge (64%!) even within the same firm, and whilst Eversheds is one of the highest paid firms in Manchester, in London there are plenty of firms that don't have regional offices that pay 20-70k more than they do for newly qualified lawyers.

Soldato
Eh? No it hasn't.

What? Where are you living? In a dream? Petrol prices are almost at record highs in the UK, average price is now 140p
Just looked at my newest bill only a few days old and gas has gone down 0.112 per unit over this time last year so yes it has decreased for me. As for patrol 132.9p is within the average range and even if its hits 140p the cost of living impact is only £5.18 per year which is what 50p per month on patrol? So I stand by in saying cost of living has not been a noticeable increase for me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just looked at my newest bill only a few days old and gas has gone down 0.112 per unit over this time last year so yes it has decreased for me. As for patrol 132.9p is within the average range and even if its hits 140p the cost of living impact is only £5.18 per year which is what 50p per month on patrol? So I stand by in saying cost of living has not been a noticeable increase for me.

You're the odd man out at a time of crazy energy prices. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Who is your energy provider and how much are you paying per kWh for gas and electricity?

Do you only use 73 litres of petrol per year?

Back
Top Bottom