Best smart thermostat Google, Tado, Hive, other

Caporegime
I do like my tado. Definitely had a few hoops to jump through and there are features that seem good that are. Bit gimmicky. But in general it's working well now.

Nest was a no go for me. As without trv control smart heating isn't no use in my case.

Only other option for me was hive.

Soldato
I've had hive previously and now have tado. Family also has nest but I'm less familiar with that.

If you're not looking at smart Thermostatic valves/zoning rooms id say the hive system is more intuitive to use/set up timers etc. The tado one works fine just a little bit more detailed.

Associate
I have come to really like My Google Thermostat.
I fitted it during first lockdown. Primarily, because I was bored. I had spent a couple of days draining the system and doing general maintenance and thought, why not?
We had a perfectly good programmer, but I fancied a change.
It was an easy fix because the room stat was next to the programmer in the hallway, so no extra wiring to do.
Would not be without it now.
Simple things like being able to crank the heating up for our return if we have been away for a few days, or boosting the hot water at a specific time or need.

Not sure my wife agrees though. She is working from home, and every time she's put the heating on this week, I have turned it back off :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Nest.

Good app, simple to use works a treat really happy with mine after 12months of using it.

Caporegime
I have come to really like My Google Thermostat.
I fitted it during first lockdown. Primarily, because I was bored. I had spent a couple of days draining the system and doing general maintenance and thought, why not?
We had a perfectly good programmer, but I fancied a change.
It was an easy fix because the room stat was next to the programmer in the hallway, so no extra wiring to do.
Would not be without it now.
Simple things like being able to crank the heating up for our return if we have been away for a few days, or boosting the hot water at a specific time or need.

Not sure my wife agrees though. She is working from home, and every time she's put the heating on this week, I have turned it back off :D

Gf likes the tado.
She can have her work room her temperature and I can have mine what I want.

Everyone's a winner!

Soldato
Tado here. It's been flawless since I installed it at my new place late last year I believe it was. Didn't need that subscription service as my place is small and there's always someone at home.
Got it hooked upto a Valiant EcoTec and use Echo dots to fire it up if I require it during out of schedule hours. The app is clean UI wise so it's perfect.

Associate
Hive here. Last two homes with it and been great. The app is well laid out, easy to use and it's still cool to nip the heating up from the Apple Watch.

Soldato
OP
Since no one has used another model what are your favourite features?

I do like my tado. Definitely had a few hoops to jump through and there are features that seem good that are. Bit gimmicky. But in general it's working well now.

Nest was a no go for me. As without trv control smart heating isn't no use in my case.

Only other option for me was hive.

Did you try the google model?

Caporegime
I find Hive to be pretty awful but I have the original thermostat and hub so signal issues in particular may have got better. I use their bulbs which are trouble free.

Main issues have been with signal dropping out, even with a range extender and my thermostat not being far from my hub it used to disconnect regularly and would be greeted with cold water in the morning. Managed to sort with careful arranging of the hub/extender and possibly firmware updates had an effect.

Smart functionality is poor overall, can't even group 2 lightbulbs in a room to come on together, have to turn them on individually. Never found geofencing to work properly. Works well with Alexa though.

Soldato
So the majority are using tado on here?
Yes

But I am a very, very happy Hive user. TRVs + Hot Water + Heating has been flawless. Still on original batteries for all the kit. I don't use many of the advanced features other than:
1. TRV turns boiler on if Nursery drops below 18 degrees
2. TRV turns rad off if Nursery hits 21 degrees
3. All other TRVs are just surplus to requirement and on full (oh snap I just realised this :cry:)

Hot water is just set to a normal timer; likewise heating. I mostly manually turn my heating on/off by using Alexa.

Back
Top Bottom