new GPU and monitor. need advice

Soldato
Hi guys, finally time to upgrade my trusty 970 and crappy monitor.

what i would like is to be able to play on high settings at 120hz and either 4k or 1440p on say a 32" monitor. but its getting confusing and throw g-sync etc into the mix along with erratic GPU prices is making it a bit of a minefield.

my thoughts are to get something like a 3060ti or 3070 or AMD 6800 ( as maybe the extra ram will come in handy later?)

i mainly use this machine for 3d work (well sketchup so i dont need much grunt for that) and gaming. i am wondering if something like a 16:10 screen would be better for productivity and games?

any suggestions? i recently upgraded my CPU, mobo and ram (as in sig).

thanks guys. i used to be hardcore into all this but i left IT 5 years ago after 20 years in the field to do a complete career change and now i run a woodwork business :D

Soldato
OP
and yes, i know my AVR wont like this but i will be getting a 2.1 compliant one when its all clear which ones work properly as it seems there are issues with hdmi 2.1 on some of them.

Man of Honour
If you go gaming at 4k you really need a 3080/6800xt especially for AAA games , you shoud download telegram and join fe part alert.

G sync is nvidia based gpu and Freesync Amd gpu google it for a more detail explanation.

Soldato
OP
thx dude. ive gone with Nvidia for the last 20 or so years due to Ati/AMD cards never performing as well as expected in the past. but this time it seems much less cut and dry and with the consoles all being AMD will games be developed better to suit their tech? seems i can get a 6900xt for same price as many selling 6800xt for some reason. seems i need to delve into benchmarks. joy haha.

Man of Honour
thx dude. ive gone with Nvidia for the last 20 or so years due to Ati/AMD cards never performing as well as expected in the past. but this time it seems much less cut and dry and with the consoles all being AMD will games be developed better to suit their tech? seems i can get a 6900xt for same price as many selling 6800xt for some reason. seems i need to delve into benchmarks. joy haha.
6900xt is a beast but AMD GPUS takes a hit in gaming performance if ray tracing is enabled compared to NVIDIA. That is also something you should look into if you prefer Ray tracing enabled in games.

Soldato
OP
6900xt is a beast but AMD GPUS takes a hit in gaming performance if ray tracing is enabled compared to NVIDIA. That is also something you should look into if you prefer Ray tracing enabled in games.
yeah, i cant see me using it in games that are fast paced FPS. im basically a battlefield player and have been struggling on BF5 but the new demo saw me dip to 40fps regularly. raytracing does look nice but if its fast paced you wont even see it. i think in say 10 years it will all be ray tracing but whilst we still have older machines about it will always be something to put on if you have enough FPS.

not even sure about what sized or ratio for screen. so much to choose from these days! too many options haha.

Man of Honour
yeah, i cant see me using it in games that are fast paced FPS. im basically a battlefield player and have been struggling on BF5 but the new demo saw me dip to 40fps regularly. raytracing does look nice but if its fast paced you wont even see it. i think in say 10 years it will all be ray tracing but whilst we still have older machines about it will always be something to put on if you have enough FPS.

not even sure about what sized or ratio for screen. so much to choose from these days! too many options haha.
1440p high refresh rate seems to be the sweet spot for gaming but the larger the screen the more stretched thd pixels. Maybe put a seperate thread in the monitor section as my knowledge is limited.

Seems like a decent choice

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...ible-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-166-lg.html

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gp850-b

Soldato
OP
1440p high refresh rate seems to be the sweet spot for gaming but the larger the screen the more stretched thd pixels. Maybe put a seperate thread in the monitor section as my knowledge is limited.

Seems like a decent choice

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...ible-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-166-lg.html

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gp850-b

to be honest i seem to be losing my eyesight a little anyway, hence the need for a bigger screen :D i have a 28" 1080p in my office where i game normally and its not too bad for my eyes so i know there are getting worse. i just need something better so i can see the cheeky buggers hiding in bushes when playing games! :p
this is also a crappy old AOC cheapy monitor so a half decent one will be a great improvement.

Man of Honour
to be honest i seem to be losing my eyesight a little anyway, hence the need for a bigger screen :D i have a 28" 1080p in my office where i game normally and its not too bad for my eyes so i know there are getting worse. i just need something better so i can see the cheeky buggers hiding in bushes when playing games! :p
this is also a crappy old AOC cheapy monitor so a half decent one will be a great improvement.
There are also tips and tricks for spotting enemies.

Soldato
1440p is the sweet spot for gaming, 4K just demands too much right now, ok at single player maybe, to play anything competative with stable high refersh you need some insane beast mode PC to do that.

My monitor is 144hz / 1440p with a 5800x and 3770 and I can play online games at 140 fps pretty stable.

Soldato
OP
weird the new xbox series x touts 4k 120hz but i assume it lowers some details to attain that? although it does seem a great bit of hardware for the price compared to what GPUs go for.

Back
Top Bottom