Anyone non-panic buying?

Soldato
So you're buying Christmas dinner in mid October. Is this something that you normally do 2 months in advance, or have you bought the stuff in advance due to predicted shortages? I appreciate that pre covid/brexit there were shortages of certain foods around Christmas anyway, but I just want to get an understanding of whether you're just following your usual routine or not.

We're planning to buy a fair bit early this year, or pre-order it. It's very much not the norm for us, I actually quite enjoy going to pick up a fresh turkey and veg a few days before Christmas (I like the hustle and bustle). But we don't want a disappointing Christmas by not being able to get much in the final week.

Soldato
The press will no doubt be ramping up the shortages rhetoric in the run up to Christmas, so anyone leaving things to the last minute might have to contend with beans on toast for Christmas dinner. If there's any left.

Associate
I wouldn't say I'm panic buying but I am definitely stocking more than I would. Pre-Pandemic I'd literally have maybe a few days of food by the time I was due a 'big shop', now I think I could cope with a few weeks. A big part of it recently (and quite weirdly!) has been pet food, its been really difficult to come buy, so now I do have like a months supply of that, and quite a few staples like canned soup etc.

Associate
The press will no doubt be ramping up the shortages rhetoric in the run up to Christmas, so anyone leaving things to the last minute might have to contend with beans on toast for Christmas dinner. If there's any left.

Is it the press though? We've probably all noticed the impact of deliveries on things that aren't hitting the news...

Caporegime
My friend’s husband works at Argos inside a Sainsbury’s store. He said many people are panic buying toys. One line of toys with serious stock issues are Paw Patrol.

Wish people would understand that Christmas isn’t just giving loads of presents to kids or to get skint over.

Smyths told media there would be a shortage on them so now people are panic buying because of them publishing that

Soldato
I have been pre ordered a turkey for my parents for 13 years. For a couple of years before this, my dad got a turkey from his employer. Anyone waiting to Christmas Eve or Eve Eve to see what’s in the supermarkets’ chillers will be disappointed. Plus it spreads the cost of shopping as paid £20 earlier this month and pay rest when collecting. Ordered other things too.

Myself and my parents buy the ambient stuff as from now - stuffing mixes, mixers, cheese biscuits, booze etc. If I see anything in the reduced which will be useful and can freeze - I buy these. Things like smoked salmon, pork pie etc.

Soldato
My friend’s husband works at Argos inside a Sainsbury’s store. He said many people are panic buying toys. One line of toys with serious stock issues are Paw Patrol.

Wish people would understand that Christmas isn’t just giving loads of presents to kids or to get skint over.

That's dumb because of the Sainsbury's 50% toy sale in November.

Permabanned
The sad irony with the obsession to horde loo roll, is people act like it's an essential item to their hygiene, when it really isn't all that hygienic.

Get some wet wipes.

Or better yet, invest in a bidet.

Soldato
The sad irony with the obsession to horde loo roll, is people act like it's an essential item to their hygiene, when it really isn't all that hygienic.

Get some wet wipes.

Or better yet, invest in a bidet.
Also some people use far too much loo roll! My friend had to ration loo roll after his wife was using 20 sheets for doing a wee. When 2-3 sheets is sufficient.

Soldato

Completely this, people have been warned, if anyone bitches and complains a week before Christmas then they'll have very little sympathy from me.

Associate
not a panic buy at all, Spock levels of logic and calmness, but I bought two xmas puddings. I didn't get one last year so I'm making damn sure I got one this year.

Associate
I don’t know why everyone is panicking over Christmas, it’s just one day. Peanut butter sandwiches will do if push comes to shove. The fact that China has been shutting factories for the last month, Russia shutting down next month, the container/shipping crisis etc all means shortages and inflation will be a huge problem for at least another year. People should be looking long term and buying stuff they know they are going to need, consumables for their cars like tyres, oil filters and the like - lol worrying about your Christmas dinner and not thinking beyond that is not getting the priorities straight.

Associate
Jesus I think somewhere after 24 hours I'd have gone and bought a generator

In such situation with widespread power loss you better hope no one else thinks the same and that the shops is using its own generators to power itself up to be able to serve you.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom