Colin Powell dead.

Soldato
All these years I had no idea his name was actually spelled 'Colin'!

Funny how much of a presence that name has in my mind, must have heard it many many times over the years, probably many of them listening to Radio 4 in the back seat of a car on my way to school. Shame about his role in the Iraq War, but broadly he seems to have been a decent person.

RIP

Soldato
Did he die of Colin cancer?

Too soon... :D

All these years I had no idea his name was actually spelled 'Colin'!

Funny how much of a presence that name has in my mind, must have heard it many many times over the years, probably many of them listening to Radio 4 in the back seat of a car on my way to school. Shame about his role in the Iraq War, but broadly he seems to have been a decent person.

RIP

Similar to 'Creg' (Craig) and 'Gram' (Graham) I suppose.

RIP to the guy. Leaving politics aside, he fought the good fight in more ways than one and he had his integrity. A good innings, regardless.

Soldato
Whilst its unbelievably sad for his family & friends, I'm sorry but I just can't get past that he knowingly lied to the world in 2003 during his UN presentations into Iraq and his infamous WMD claims, directly leading to all manner of crap we're still dealing with, untold civilian deaths and veteran issues.

When interviewed in 2018 about why he lied in his speech he said "I knew I didn't have any choice. What choice did I have, he's the president" referring to Bush's demand that Powell both write and give the speech because of his perceived level of honesty. So instead of doing what was right (and would've been unimaginably hard TBF) and quitting over the reports he himself didn't believe, he decided to repeat the lie to the world instead. Looking back he said in the same 2018 interview that, if he'd quit, he doubted that the invasion would have happened due to the collapse of support at home and abroad which must be a kicker for those directly effected by his decision.

Despite all that I don't hate the guy, not at all, he had a moment of weakness and made a bad choice but seems remorseful about it, however I don't think papering over his past with glowing eulogies is the best way to remember the man or what he did if we want to learn from his mistakes.

Caporegime
Look at Bush Jr, he seems to be having a bit of a comeback tour over the years despite being considered one of the worst recent presidents. Time is a great healer.

Thought with Powell, I got the impression the majority of his critics were outside the party/anti-war and still regarded highly with the right and mainstream.

Caporegime
because he died from covid despite being fully vaccinated.

His immune system was devastated by blood cancer.

While General Powell was fully vaccinated against COVID-19, he had undergone treatment for multiple myeloma, an incurable form of blood cancer. Blood cancer, blood cancer treatments and advancing age can all make people more vulnerable to breakthrough COVID-19 infection, complications and death.

LLS studies have reported that about 1 in 4 blood cancer patients do not generate a full response to the first two-doses of mRNA (Moderna or Pfizer) COVID-19 vaccines. While LLS research has also reported that most blood cancer patients benefit from a booster vaccine, some will still not mount a full antibody response even with this additional dose.

“Colin Powell’s death due to complications of COVID-19 is a real-life example of the elevated risk blood cancer patients face,” said Dr. Gwen Nichols, Chief Medical Officer of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. “I urge all blood cancer patients and survivors to get vaccinated—including with a third dose, unless told otherwise by their doctor.”

General Powell’s death is also a stark reminder of the importance of vaccination for the broader population. By getting vaccinated, those with normal immunity can reduce the risk that they transmit COVID-19 to those whose immunity is impaired.

(Source).

Caporegime
He said he's getting very favourable reporting despite what happened with Iraq, he's not wrong, he seems to be a very popular man bizarrely.

Not bizarre at all. Powell found redemption for admitting his mistakes with Iraq, regretting what he had done, endorsing Obama/Biden to avoid the catastrophe of a McCain/Palin presidency, and denouncing the corrupt Trump regime.

He also left the Republican Party following the Capitol Hill riot on 06.01.21.

Soldato
His immune system was devastated by blood cancer.

i was responding to the (now deleted) tasteless comment inferring that his double vaccination didn't protect him and that the vaccine is therefore useless.

to make it absolutely clear, this is not my personal view, i absolutely understand there are circumstances where vaccination isn't enough protection when other conditions are involved and that this is what has occurred here.

Soldato
Whilst its unbelievably sad for his family & friends, I'm sorry but I just can't get past that he knowingly lied to the world in 2003 during his UN presentations into Iraq and his infamous WMD claims, directly leading to all manner of crap we're still dealing with, untold civilian deaths and veteran issues.
Yup

The man was put in the position of being able to make a decision to measurably benefit the world, but took the path that suited his career, and the world suffered greatly.

Should be forever held up as an example of huge moral failure.

Associate

When interviewed in 2018 about why he lied in his speech he said "I knew I didn't have any choice. What choice did I have, he's the president" referring to Bush's demand that Powell both write and give the speech because of his perceived level of honesty. So instead of doing what was right (and would've been unimaginably hard TBF) and quitting over the reports he himself didn't believe, he decided to repeat the lie to the world instead. Looking back he said in the same 2018 interview that, if he'd quit, he doubted that the invasion would have happened due to the collapse of support at home and abroad which must be a kicker for those directly effected by his decision.

Despite all that I don't hate the guy, not at all, he had a moment of weakness and made a bad choice but seems remorseful about it, however I don't think papering over his past with glowing eulogies is the best way to remember the man or what he did if we want to learn from his mistakes.

This^, plus don’t forget his involvement in the Mai Lai massacre report during the Vietnam war.

Soldato
I think the evidence he presented to the UN is a perfect example of how a conspiracy can take hold even at the highest levels of government, that people just assume the higher ups have more information than them so it must be true.

Back
Top Bottom