Where do I stand with work

Soldato
Hi all

I was offered a job which I took last week, however today I had a phone call from a local company that I've been trying to get into for a month or two but no driving was available until today... I want to accept this driving job as its something I've always wanted to do but don't know where I stand with the current job...

I haven't signed a contract at the current place so how do I go about notices etc

Cheers

Soldato
Hi all

I was offered a job which I took last week, however today I had a phone call from a local company that I've been trying to get into for a month or two but no driving was available until today... I want to accept this driving job as its something I've always wanted to do but don't know where I stand with the current job...

I haven't signed a contract at the current place so how do I go about notices etc

Cheers

Just tell your current new employer that you won't be sticking around after all, but you are prepared to work "X" amount of notice to help them out (depending on when the other job needs you to start) if they want you to. In reality there isn't much they can do (no one is going to waste time taking you to court) but probably best to be honest with them and try to leave in the most civil fashion possible.

Either that or stage a crash faking your own death.

Caporegime
It’s not unusual to apply to more than one job and I’m sure your current place of work considered more than one applicant. Just tell them a position you also applied for has come up that’s something you’ve wanted to do for a long time and apologise for leaving so soon.

Soldato
OP
Just tell your current new employer that you won't be sticking around after all, but you are prepared to work "X" amount of notice to help them out (depending on when the other job needs you to start) if they want you to. In reality there isn't much they can do (no one is going to waste time taking you to court) but probably best to be honest with them and try to leave in the most civil fashion possible.

Either that or stage a crash faking your own death.

Is there a minimum amount of time I should say I'd work or can it be whatever I feel reasonable

It’s not unusual to apply to more than one job and I’m sure your current place of work considered more than one applicant. Just tell them a position you also applied for has come up that’s something you’ve wanted to do for a long time and apologise for leaving so soon.

Yeah they talk daily about getting more people in so wouldn't surprise me if they filled my spot sharpish... How soon can I leave or is it what I feel reasonable?

Soldato
Is there a minimum amount of time I should say I'd work or can it be whatever I feel reasonable

Yeah they talk daily about getting more people in so wouldn't surprise me if they filled my spot sharpish... How soon can I leave or is it what I feel reasonable?

The required notice period should be the in the contract of employment that you say you haven't signed. Have you actually read it/been given a copy? It might only be a week. The more relevant issue would seem to be when you need to start the new job. If that can wait I would at least offer to work some notice. Always wise to leave on good terms if you can and agreeing a date should make for a smoother exit rather than a potential row about if/when you get paid for the work you have done if you just walk out tomorrow.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If you haven't signed any contract, then just tell them you won't be starting as you've agreed terms with another employer.

Oh dear, so sad, nevermind kthxbye.

Soldato
What EVH said ... BUT make sure you have a written offer from the new place (or better still a SIGNED contract of employment) in case they suddenly change their minds on you. Just in case Mr Sod and Mr Murphy get together.

Soldato
If you haven't signed any contract, then just tell them you won't be starting as you've agreed terms with another employer.

Oh dear, so sad, nevermind kthxbye.

What EVH said ... BUT make sure you have a written offer from the new place (or better still a SIGNED contract of employment) in case they suddenly change their minds on you. Just in case Mr Sod and Mr Murphy get together.

Perhaps the OP can clarify whether he has actually started the job? You seem to be assuming that he hasn't, although in his first post he says that he took the job last week and refers to it as being his "current job" and "current place".

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Indeed, but I was sort of assuming the OP hadn't started somewhere without signing any contract :eek:

I took it that he'd accepted a verbal offer and was waiting for a contract to sign when in the meantime he's had a new offer. Referring to his "current place" can be technically correct if he's between roles or waiting for a start date.

Man of Honour
Because of when you took the job I am not sure it matters much if you did or didn't start yet.

Either tell them you are not joining or tell them you are leaving and leave.

You owe them nothing but courtesy, not least if you haven't signed a contract.

One week is typical in such circumstances, from the day after you resign. (I just checked)

Soldato
OP
Afternoon all

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, not been on much... So I gave a week's notice just to end on decent terms with them, I am starting the new job on the 1st of November and they have already said they will have everything ready for me on my induction so all my uniform, contract and any other papers are there to sign...

Really looking forward to the new journey

Thanks for all the replies, all helpful as per usual

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom