Tiny House Movement

Soldato
I think it's just so sad that this is what it's come to for people, people seem to aspire to live in them and im not sure if its just as normal housing is just so out of reach or what.

But you're right if anyone wanted to do that you'd need land and connections which run into tens of thousands even for the smallest plot. Sure you're 'getting around' the planning bit by it being on wheels but as much of a pain as getting planning for a regular house is that isn't the expensive bit by any means.

Soldato
I think it's just so sad that this is what it's come to for people, people seem to aspire to live in them and im not sure if its just as normal housing is just so out of reach or what.

But you're right if anyone wanted to do that you'd need land and connections which run into tens of thousands even for the smallest plot. Sure you're 'getting around' the planning bit by it being on wheels but as much of a pain as getting planning for a regular house is that isn't the expensive bit by any means.

Depending how close the tiny house is to an existing building with power/water/drainage is, you might be able to hook it up reasonably cheaply. Of course, you’ll have to agree this in advance with the land owner.

Soldato
The second one looks bigger than my mother in laws cottage.

They're just static homes. Nothing new - people have been living in them for decades. The main drawback is that by the time you're finished with them, they're practically worthless. Bricks and mortar might cost more, but they maintain / increase their value.

Caporegime
So just a log cabin in your parents back garden type affairs?

Tuin do log cabins you can build yourself in a day for decent prices. 70mm thick logs too rather than thin 40mm variants. Still need insulation but heating costs overall lower.

Soldato
I think there's certainly a room for them, even if it's in their parents' garden. In early twenties you don't really need anything bigger and these will give you a bit more privacy and experience of looking after a property before moving out to a bigger house.

Caporegime
Good idea on my opinion.

If you're parents have land that is.

Your own space but not really much different to a log cabin or out building.

Associate
Come and live in Stoke, you can sometimes find Terrace Houses for £1 !!! May not be the greatest of areas that you get one, but it is a solid structure, built from bricks that 'potentially' will have resale value.

Back
Top Bottom