• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel's Alder Lake CPUs May Not Work With Older Games

Man of Honour
Suspected they would have massive scheduler issues way back... Turns out they have massive scheduler issues, no surprise to anybody here. Looks like another intel software **** show and here we all are hoping that they can write a half decent graphics driver. :cry::cry:

Man of Honour
Ouch... it burns it burns.... :cry:

The truth often hurts. Intel are and have always been a decent hardware company, problem is they have 20k+ software engineers and cant write software to save their lives :cry: - Unless of course it's re-writing benchmark software to make their chips look more competitive. Yea, I went there, they seem pretty good at that!

Caporegime
The truth often hurts. Intel are and have always been a decent hardware company, problem is they have 20k+ software engineers and cant write software to save their lives :cry: - Unless of course it's re-writing benchmark software to make their chips look more competitive. Yea, I went there, they seem pretty good at that!

Why not go there Intel did...

Associate
Do you have a link for this? Serious question i'm interested.

It is true some games **** the bed when you go over a certain number of threads available so disabling SMT or a CCD or both can help with those games. It is not an AMD only issue though as the higher core count Intel HEDT parts suffer the same problems with the same games. I expect the same will happen in those games with ADL, maybe worse due to the mix of P and E cores.

There were also issues with zen and zen+ TR due to their numa in a slot setup but that was mostly alleviated with zen 2 TR.

Soldato

Yeah Intel have a lasagne of issues to work though. Reorg over the next 5 years I hear. If ARC flops I can see that being accelerated.

ARC is supposed to drive Intel through the next 5 years of lost CPU revenue. I can see some difficult questions being asked from share holders if all Intel have is Ponte Vecchio.

Last edited:
Associate
SoTR and Metro Exodus, Igor Labs not understanding the question, the problem occurs mostly with heavily CPU bound games, like eSports, also why is he using a Workstation card?

I'll wait for proper data.

I might be missing something, but doesn't he just show that compared to w10, w11 initially exhibited significantly lower performance?

He then goes on to show, that for the same HW configuration, the latest w11 completely mitigates the issue?

That seems a valid analysis to me. Or is there another comparison that shows that the problem is exacerbated more in certain scenarios?

Man of Honour

Not sure I can articulate it well but Intel's approach to software development is similar to hardware - they want to be able to design a piece of software then press it out and move on. Which is why I've never had much hope for them in the GPU space (even if stuff like Larrabee was designed to be more software based and reprogrammable).

Man of Honour
Not sure I can articulate it well but Intel's approach to software development is similar to hardware - they want to be able to design a piece of software then press it out and move on. Which is why I've never had much hope for them in the GPU space (even if stuff like Larrabee was designed to be more software based and reprogrammable).

It should be very interesting, I get what you are saying, they do software like they do hardware... Which doesn't always end well. I really hope this is a decent competitive lineup without masses of software issues and I really hope their GPU's are good. Back in 1994 they released a cpu that couldn't do long division, a massive oversight. Lets hope we don't get more of that!

Soldato
SoTR and Metro Exodus, Igor Labs not understanding the question, the problem occurs mostly with heavily CPU bound games, like eSports, also why is he using a Workstation card?

I'll wait for proper data.

fair enough but does show 11'better than 10 on average now but yea I want more game data.

it's also worth remembering this is only half the puzzle

All Igor tested is the W11 Microsoft patch, but AMD still has to release a new chipset driver which will improve W11 CPU performance further.

The Microsoft W11 patch fixes the issue where L3 latency is higher than it should be.

But there is another problem, AMD said that apps and games are sometimes picking the wrong the core to run on in W11. When they release the new chipset driver to fix it then it will improve performance

Caporegime
fair enough but does show 11'better than 10 on average now but yea I want more game data.

it's also worth remembering this is only half the puzzle

All Igor tested is the W11 Microsoft patch, but AMD still has to release a new chipset driver which will improve W11 CPU performance further.

The Microsoft W11 patch fixes the issue where L3 latency is higher than it should be.

But there is another problem, AMD said that apps and games are sometimes picking the wrong the core to run on in W11. When they release the new chipset driver to fix it then it will improve performance
I might be missing something, but doesn't he just show that compared to w10, w11 initially exhibited significantly lower performance?

He then goes on to show, that for the same HW configuration, the latest w11 completely mitigates the issue?

That seems a valid analysis to me. Or is there another comparison that shows that the problem is exacerbated more in certain scenarios?

By 5% at most, margin of error stuff. What everyone else is talking about is 20%, as i said, he didn't understand the question.

Caporegime

They do this in an attempt to control and manipulate the market, with that they had some success in the CPU space against AMD.

In the GPU space.... well Nvidia are better than Intel at Intel's game. ;)

Caporegime
Wierd to quote two people at once imho.
In any case, you haven't answered the specifics of my post.

I actually did but i'll expand.

Its one of my pet peeves about so called tech journalists, they put out a lot of crap pertaining to communicate useful information but its actually almost completely useless, and its a strange thing because its a very simple question that's being asked and all it requires is a very simple answer, and yet somehow they still manage to #### it up.

AMD said the performance difference is as much as 20%, they even said specifically in titles where the CPU matters, like eSports, before that other tech journalists had found a ~20% reduction in performance in games like Rocket League and CS:GO, eSports.

So: Igore Labs, like an idiot takes two AAA titles, where the problem was not apparent in the first place, at least not to any meaningful extent, and then shows a margin of error level difference fixed, hm? yeah cheers.....

Also... i wish the spell checker in firefox wasn't made by a dyslexic inuit child.

I'm dyslexic myself they last thing i need is for it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom