Bike for an 11 year old

Soldato
I know this topic has been up in the past, but I just want to make sure I have the current prevailing wisdom!

So far, my daughters bikes have been the usual Halfords Apollo stuff, but having realised just how heavy they are, I promised myself that next time I would look into something lightweight. (Her tiny 20" wheel current bike weights 3kg more than my full size, and she struggles if she has to push it up steps or similar.)

I'm accepting of paying more for this requirement, but she doesn't use it enough (although I'm hoping the lightweight will help this!) for me to be happy paying a huge amount. Let's say around £500 is a limit.

While weight is important, I suspect she'll feel like it's a step back to go to no suspension at all, so I'm looking at hardtail mountain bikes.

I'm also looking at 26" wheel models, on the basis of trying to extend how long this will be the right size for.

What do you all suggest?

The ones I have my eyes on currently are the:

Voodoo Nzumbi from Halfords. Weighs 11.2kg and costs £500 (although I can get a 10% discount there).

BTWIN Rockrider ST920 from Decathlon. Weighs 12kg, costs £400.

Vitus Nucleus 26. Weighs 12.4kg and costs £530.

The Vitus is the heaviest and most expensive. But I've seen them recommended on here before, and I suspect it will be much more popular with my daughter, given the Voodoo and the Btwin are both rather dull colours while the Vitus is bright metallic red!

Any thoughts on these selections, and any other suggestions? For that matter - any element of my assumptions which you think should be changed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Caporegime
Can't give any real advice, but friends have bought their kids the vitus and in the flesh they are very nice.

I'd imagine they're all similar at that price range though. The vitus may hold its value a bit better though?

Man of Honour
Just make sure you get the right size for her.
My niece has got 3 long term experienced cyclists in her family and went to Halfords to buy a bike for her 10 year old without him with her.
The bike now sits in his grandparents shed because he can't get on it and won't likely get on it until he's 16.
I can't get on it and ride it without feeling unsafe.

Soldato
OP
Did they get confused and buy a penny farthing? :D

It's a birthday present, but I think it'll have to be one she knows about ahead of time, so she can have input on what she wants. So we'll be able to take measurements without worrying about the suspicion. :)

Soldato
So the 16' Nzumbi which I have also been looking at for my tall soon to be 9 year old. It states 9-12 years old, but 26 wheels are like the old standard MTB size.

I'll have to go and have a look at one.

Soldato
With our eldest, 11, we started with a crappy Apollo bike, bought new, before we realised the false economy of it. His 2nd bike was a used (near pristine) Carrera, which was much better and only £60. He's now on small adult bikes (he's 5'4" ish), a Cube roadbike and a Pinnacle mountain-leaning hybrid. Both about £200 used.

For our daughter, 8, we've played it much smarter and had Frog bikes all the way. Buy used for about £200, then sell it for near what we paid and get a bigger one for another £200. She gets a new bike, the right size, every 2 years and the changeover costs us about £30.

Soldato
I have 3x 26" bikes, don't worry about it.

I've still got an old one as well. Specialized StumpJumper Comp from around 2001 that my Dad gave me, but he's not having that classic. :D

Anyway I ordered the Nzumbi. Liked the Vitus Nucleus 26 as well but out of stock and it's his Birthday on 10th December so thought I would plan early. Collection next Friday.

Soldato
When I go to CX races all the kids have Frog, Islabike or HUP, previous recommendations are buy second hand, look after it and sell for what you paid for it.

Man of Honour
I've still got an old one as well. Specialized StumpJumper Comp from around 2001 that my Dad gave me, but he's not having that classic. :D

Anyway I ordered the Nzumbi. Liked the Vitus Nucleus 26 as well but out of stock and it's his Birthday on 10th December so thought I would plan early. Collection next Friday.

Another thing is I have a man cave full of 26" wheels & tyres so the next bike I have will be 26" even though the are harder to find, I'll just buy off Gumtree or Marketplace.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
I dunno if Halfords site isn't working well just for me, but I can't get the specs to load up either, so can't confirm weight of them.

You reckon they're both 13" frames then?

I'd go with the black as newer, but I strongly suspect my daughter would be much happier with the colour of the orange one! :)

As you say, the Vitus is looking like it can't be bought, and I haven't had any luck finding any second hand quality kids bikes locally, so I might be running out of options.

Soldato
OP
Ordered the newer one about a week ago, and will be picking it up on Saturday. Glad to hear you're pleased with it, hopefully I will be able to report back the same. :)

Soldato
OP
Collected the bike at the weekend, and will be giving it to her next weekend. It really looks the part in person, much better than in the photos. Pleased with how light it is too.

Back
Top Bottom