Golf Thread

Soldato
I can't believe the lead times on Ping. Have you contacted direct?

American Golf has a delivery time of 1st Jan also as I've been to try similar clubs but wasn't impressed as they seemed to push me towards the Taylormade P790 as I was hitting good numbers. Power spec numbers had me hitting a 7 iron 190 yards apparently :cry:
Power spec are not for me.

Loved the look of the Titelist T100s and also hitting good numbers but dispersion was a little off in comparison to the i210.

Got a standard long winded "delays" message from Ping directly - apologising for the delays but ultimately nothing they can do due to COVID/delays/factories shut etc.

Spoke to my Pro who I ordered them from - He's got the Ping rep in tomorrow and is going to see what he says about it all. If there is still no "reasonable" date or timeframe they can offer, then I'm going to cancel and I will probably go with the Mizuno 921 forged I hit today. The guy at Affordable Golf called Mizuno directly and they said they are on a 22 working day turn around with the Nippon shafts and 921 forged heads due in on 7th October.

I will probably nip up and try the 120 nippon stiff shaft as I hit the 105 stiff today..... Just to see if any major differences. 5-pw & gw, then a 54/58 wedge for next year (new vokeys due around feb/march) and that's the full bag completed.

Soldato
Got a reply from Scotsdale Golf. Just asked to see if they have them in stock.

Unfortunately no, we don't have the heads to build these irons in.

if you wanted to book a custom build with Ping themselves, this would likely be around the new year.
Ping currently have their factories closed due to a Covid outbreak, so orders are being delayed.

Soldato
Got a reply from Scotsdale Golf. Just asked to see if they have them in stock.

yeah - Ping rep today said realistically Jan/Feb for i210's so I've cancelled order completely for now - i525 coming around March/April - a blend of the i500's and i210's.

New Vokey SM9's due Feb/March

Will aim to hit the jpx 921 forged again this weekend and probably just order them.

Soldato
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Ordered.

Nippon 105 stiff shaft/+2 degrees upright/0.5 inch longer

5-PW & GW (plan is then to get new SM9's Vokeys next spring, probably 54/58 to complement set)

Martin at Affordable Golf (Irvine) was quality again today. Hit the 105 shaft & the 120 shaft but nothing much between them. 120 slightly lower launching but the 105 just "felt" slightly better in my hands...

5% discount code from online was honoured as well. Approx 4-6 weeks but I'm in no rush.

Soldato
Mizuno jpx 921 forged - Almost identical to the Cobra Forged in terms of numbers and flight - but sounded so much better and felt like a mizuno does.... buttery soft off the face.

Time for some serious thinking about what to do.... The Mizuno's were great. I got him to let me hit the i210's as well - hit them well straight after....But the Mizuno's were lovely.....

I switched this summer from Mizuno MP68 to JPX921 Forged and am happy with the decision. I haven't gained much in yardage as the MP68 were 3* strong but I've definitely gained on mishits where the JPX921F retain far more of the energy on off-centre hits. I don't think you would regret buying them. I waited about 7 weeks I think for a set with Modus Pro 105R and Midsize grips.

Soldato
Just got back from a round of golf in sunny Stratford Upon Avon and I think the front 9 was the worst I have ever played.
Everything I hit came off the toe. My thought process was shocking and had zero confidence in my game.
Front 9 I shot a 52 (36). Absolutely shocking. It was all negative thoughts in my mind when hitting shots.

Suddenly teeing off on the tenth, which runs parallel to the first, I had approx 15 people on the 1st tee (society) watching us and my mindset was "ah well, it can't get any worse, I'll just laugh it off should I top it etc". Bang, 280 yards, middle of fairway. Mindset just changed from then on and I ended up shooting a back 9 of 41 (36). Scoring a gross 93.

Just amazes me how a mindset can alter your game so drastically it almost makes you feel like giving up.
Not sure if anyone has any tips or tricks to combat this as the front 9 was the worst I have ever played. Zero confidence.

Last edited:
Soldato
Joys of golf!

Front tees, stableford today.

1st - par 5 - Snap hook driver, reload, snap hook driver - lost both - Zero points.
2nd - par 5 - (driver stayed in the bag!!) - 3 wood (258 yards), left with 238 in, 3 wood again - beautiful shot to 10ft - holed putt for eagle 3...

Lessons to be learned I think!!

33 points with no score at 1st and no score at 18th!

Soldato
Why is it I always play below handicap when not doing the full 18?

Went out for a quick 10 holes last night and was 4 over for them. I can't remember the last time I was 4 over after 10, other than the 78 that I shot which skewed my handicap massively downwards.

I so wanted to play the last 8 but it was getting dark and started pouring it down. I'm sure when I do that full 18 next week, I'll shoot 20 over.

Soldato
Just made the small journey to The Three Hammers Golf Complex north of Wolverhampton to test out the Trackman system they have there.
Great setup. Amazing American Golf shop with state of the art fitting bays (which I've booked for the new year).

One thing I noticed, and thanks to the guys next to me. Trackman was tracking drives at 210/220. So the guy in the bay next to me gets out his Rangefinder and tracks a flag on a green at 255/260 yards away. Yet every time I've landed on it, it has said I've only carried 190 and rolled out to 210.

So which is accurate. Bit of a discussion with the guy next to me and neither of us could work out why there is such a difference.
If my drives are only hitting 190 I'm selling it and using my hybrids of the tee as they were going further :cry:

Soldato
I don't think it helps when there is a tracking system when you're using terrible range balls. It's also about making sure the TopTracer knows where you're trying to hit the ball.

I do quite like playing virtual golf on those though. It may not be wholly accurate but it is a better practice than just hitting driver after driver after driver.

Soldato
Toptracer - Good fun, don't read too much into it, range balls, doesn't do "normalisation" (i.e takes out the wind/weather from the actual ball flight). So you hit it 220 into a ranging wind. Toptracer reads the 220 or so. Trackman can "normalise" that and uses all the data to effectively tell you what the shot actually did despite the weather.

Trackman - £20k+ to buy (if you can find one anywhere!!), used mainly in fittings, unreal piece of kit, does EVERYTHING you want, stunning bit of kit:

Club Speed, Attack Angle, Dynamic Loft, Club Path, Face Angle, Face to Path, Spin Loft, Swing Plane, Swing Direction, Low Point, Impact Height, Impact Offset, Dynamic Lie

Ball Data

Ball Speed, Smash Factor, Launch Angle, Spin Rate, Launch Direction, Spin Axis, Height, Curve, Landing Angle, Carry, Side, Total, Side Total

Associate
Toptracer - Good fun, don't read too much into it, range balls, doesn't do "normalisation" (i.e takes out the wind/weather from the actual ball flight). So you hit it 220 into a ranging wind. Toptracer reads the 220 or so. Trackman can "normalise" that and uses all the data to effectively tell you what the shot actually did despite the weather.

Trackman - £20k+ to buy (if you can find one anywhere!!), used mainly in fittings, unreal piece of kit, does EVERYTHING you want, stunning bit of kit:

Club Speed, Attack Angle, Dynamic Loft, Club Path, Face Angle, Face to Path, Spin Loft, Swing Plane, Swing Direction, Low Point, Impact Height, Impact Offset, Dynamic Lie

Ball Data

Ball Speed, Smash Factor, Launch Angle, Spin Rate, Launch Direction, Spin Axis, Height, Curve, Landing Angle, Carry, Side, Total, Side Total
I've not long started playing golf and had a lesson to sort out the horrific slice I hit with my driver (it was that bad that I hadn't used my driver on the course for about 3 months which is bad considering I started playing at the end of April!) and the guy I went to at the local range had the Trackman set up. Genuinely blew my mind when I seen the set up and the sheer amount of information it gave me!

Also managed to fix my slice in about 15 minutes as well :D

Underboss
I have a trackman range that's my local range, it's okay but hitting beaten up Srixon range balls isn't going to give you accurate yardage data.

Back
Top Bottom