2 Routers, 1 network, error in connection

Associate
DG - Default gateway, which is the router in the house. As you connect to the wifi in the house, the routers IP and Mac address become your default gateway. So when you move into the garden, you connect the the same SSID, however this time its for another physical router, which a different IP address. As it cannot see its gateway, it wont send the traffic to the router in the garden. So you need to either mesh the two routers together so that you can seemlessly connect between the two, or put the garden router on another SSID (its ok to combine 2.4 and 5), set the router to DHCP so it picks up an IP address from the house router that it is connected to and away you go.

Soldato
DG - Default gateway, which is the router in the house. As you connect to the wifi in the house, the routers IP and Mac address become your default gateway. So when you move into the garden, you connect the the same SSID, however this time its for another physical router, which a different IP address. As it cannot see its gateway, it wont send the traffic to the router in the garden. So you need to either mesh the two routers together so that you can seemlessly connect between the two, or put the garden router on another SSID (its ok to combine 2.4 and 5), set the router to DHCP so it picks up an IP address from the house router that it is connected to and away you go.
WTF?

His second 'router' isn't a router because it's configured as an AP.

The second router's IP address is irrelevant as its only role is for administration. It doesn't even need to be on the same subnet for it to work as an AP.

Assuming the main router and the AP router are connected together with a cable LAN-to-LAN (which judging by earlier posts they should be) then it doesn't matter which router/AP a device connects to (or whether the SSIDs are different or not). Either way, the device will pick up an IP address (and the gateway IP) from the primary router's DHCP server.

Associate
I understand it is not acting as a router and I generally put the management IP on the same subnet and remove that from the scope of the ‘actual router’

I stand by that if I go grab a couple of 2862s or VR400s and make on an AP off the other with the same SSID I am going to run into the issues I mention.

Back
Top Bottom