• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
I'm living on Earth. With no competition, prices will rise and price/performance will remain at exactly the same place.
Except that right here, right now, it's not. And with the rumours circulating of what Zen 4 and Zen 5 will bring, it's not going to for a fair few years yet. Yes, the signs are there that AMD are just another corporation with their recent prices of certain things, but you saying AMD have stopped pushing is just not true.
We don't need to pretend AMD are the loving company, who treats us all right.
Calling out statements as provably false is not "pretending" AMD are anything.

Soldato
That's true and you can already see AMD doing that happening with GPUs like the 6600 when competition is lacking, it's is only 6% faster than a 5600XT but costs 18% more at the MSRP prices while using a smaller piece of silicon and a cut down PCIe Bus.

If AMD got a sizeable lead in the CPU like Intel had a few years back then I'm sure they would be diverting R&D to shareholders and serving up minimal upgrades for higher prices every generation.

Lol, AMD are light years ahead of Intel and have been for some time. AMD are beating Intel by a factor of three in technological advantages. Zen has made Intel redundant in entire markets.

Soldato
Rumours are exactly that, rumours. They're not very useful.
I have never said AMD have stopped pushing, I've said it's clear they'll be quite happy to stop, with no competition.

I know it's the OcUK CPU section, so it'll always be people arguing about which side are the heroes. None of them are though.

Soldato
Lol, AMD are light years ahead of Intel and have been for some time. AMD are beating Intel by a factor of three in technological advantages. Zen has made Intel redundant in entire markets.
Core for core they are not that far ahead in terms of performance, it's just that they can fit in more cores but for the average consumer who buys just 6 or 8 core then there really isn't that much in it.

Soldato
Core for core they are not that far ahead in terms of performance, it's just that they can fit in more cores but for the average consumer who buys just 6 or 8 core then there really isn't that much in it.

Well there is a lot in it, AMD are miles ahead, but Intel don’t care about retail packaged desktop chips. That isn’t where Alderlake needs to perform

Soldato
APUs as someone mentioned earlier, are pretty good indicator. The XT versions of the 3000s were quite hideous. GPU market is different, but the 6600 is laughable.

I'm not saying the 5000 series aren't great. I just believe AMD will ramp up prices at any opportunity, and just like Intel were, they'll be happy with minor clock bumps.

Soldato
APUs as someone mentioned earlier, are pretty good indicator. The XT versions of the 3000s were quite hideous. GPU market is different, but the 6600 is laughable.

I'm not saying the 5000 series aren't great. I just believe AMD will ramp up prices at any opportunity, and just like Intel were, they'll be happy with minor clock bumps.

AMD have had the opportunity to do that but haven’t. The add-in graphics market is a shambles just now and no way would prices have held under normal conditions. I’ve never bought a desktop graphics at RRP.

Soldato
50% price increase for the 5600X over the 3600 for 18-23% performance so price performance was actually worse on Zen 3 as opposed to zen 2 atleast for the 6 and 8 core chips.

No doubt it'll be another price increase with the 3D v-cache versions that are being released instead of Zen 4 which has been pushed back as AMD feels comfortable enough in their superiority to keep raking in the cash on AM4.

Soldato
50% price increase for the 5600X over the 3600
Don't you ever get tired of beating that drum? They're not the same SKU, however much you may want them to be. The $50 price increase on the 5600X is plenty frustrating in itself without resorting to false comparisons to make it seem oh so much worse.
3D v-cache versions that are being released instead of Zen 4 which has been pushed back as AMD feels comfortable enough in their superiority to keep raking in the cash on AM4
Cite your source. What if Zen 4 has hit design issues and has been delayed?

Soldato
Don't you ever get tired of beating that drum? They're not the same SKU, however much you may want them to be. The $50 price increase on the 5600X is plenty frustrating in itself without resorting to false comparisons to make it seem oh so much worse.
Of course they're the same SKU... they are both 6/12 both 65w TDP and both have the same cooler but because AMD put an X on the end it must be the replacement for the 3600X which is a 95w part. Please don't fall for the marketing as I'm sure you certainly wouldn't if Intel pulled that trick.

Soldato
50% price increase for the 5600X over the 3600 for 18-23% performance so price performance was actually worse on Zen 3 as opposed to zen 2 atleast for the 6 and 8 core chips.

No doubt it'll be another price increase with the 3D v-cache versions that are being released instead of Zen 4 which has been pushed back as AMD feels comfortable enough in their superiority to keep raking in the cash on AM4.

Well the 3600 was a bargain and probably not appreciated by the market, but again as you’re fully aware TSMC have increased it’s production costs by 60% since. If it wasn’t for your agenda and disingenuous nature you would also point out you’re comparing a sale price at a time without a pandemic causing supply issues. Anything you can twist to save Nvidia from competition is fair game.

Soldato
Well the 3600 was a bargain and probably not appreciated by the market, but again as you’re fully aware TSMC have increased it’s production costs by 60% since. If it wasn’t for your agenda and disingenuous nature you would also point out you’re comparing a sale price at a time without a pandemic causing supply issues. Anything you can twist to save Nvidia from competition is fair game.
TSMC haven't put prices up by 60% unless you like to link some proof showing otherwise.

What's Nvidia got to do with this as they do not make X86 CPUs?

Soldato
TSMC haven't put prices up by 60% unless you like to link some proof showing otherwise.

What's Nvidia got to do with this as they do not make X86 CPUs?

You have been linked, for anyone else google TSMC price increases.

Everything you post lacks any objectivity and is frankly dishonest.

Soldato
You have been linked, for anyone else google TSMC price increases.

Everything you post lacks any objectivity and is frankly dishonest.
I think that sums up your own posting tbh.

And for the record TSMC 7nm is looking at around a 5% wafer price increase from next year.

Screenshot-177.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom