Lactose intolerance thread (suggestions brands etc)

Caporegime
Right not sure if this is medical advice or not so maybe we agree to avoid what tablets or drops work best till a mod can confirm if that would be OK?

So until then what are your best alternatives/substitutions or tollarable things?

I recently tried the coconut collaborative's yoghurt fruit pouch and it was terrible it was like sucking on a packet of congealed oil.

Same as I've found violife (wasnt this in fallout?) vegan cheese to be but much worse, if you've ever used coconut oil in cooking it was like just scooping out a finger full and eating it :(

The "lacto-free" brand I've found good but limited it doesn't have the sweet taste of lactase treated stuff but it is expensive and definitely if used in bulk it does still have an effect.

Asda does lactose fre philidelphia now though! That seems good and tastes very similar, works perfectly with their sausage casserole recipe (stock, philly onions and sausage/potato)

I'm told 24 month+ old cheese or blue is safe but I've found this varies a bit of 24 month parmesian on top seems fine but a carbonara lth aged pecorino doesn't.

I'll rm the post but until we get an answer keep drops/tablets out of it and keep it to food

Soldato
Nush yogurt is my fave dairy free yogurt, made from Almond milk, and also one of the cleanest yogurts on the market in terms of ingredients.

Have you tried goat's or sheep's cheese? They can often work for lactose intolerant people.
Same with A2 cow's milk, typical of Jersey cows.

Associate
What else are you putting in the carbonara? Pecorino is a sheep cheese so shouldn't be causing a problem if you are lactose intolerant - I also suffer from lactose intolerance and goat/sheep cheese is ok for me.

Could it be a milk protein allergy/intolerance instead as this may also explain the reaction to lactofree in larger intakes?

Appreciate you may have thought of all of this already though - from personal experience I know how much of a pain it can be trying to figure out what to eat and what to avoid.

Soldato
It's a bit of a crap shoot to be honest. I'm not drop dead allergic but I end up bloated and it causes problems. So I can tolerate some but I have a limit that I recognise.

Cheese - don't bother, not even with the laco-free ones. I scrape cheese before cooking or make/order pizza without cheese. Also don't do cheese sauces with pasta.
Milk - meh don't bother. Drink tea/coffee black without sugar, hot chocolate starts registering on the scale.
Ice cream - don't normally bother, although I can cope with some - but better with sorbet :)
Cream - don't bother, so I go for tomato sauces, Jalfrezi or Phal
Custard - this seems ok, but typically it's been cooked so my issue may be with live cultures to the specific custard I end up with probably artificial :).
Crisps - ok but cheese powder starts building up on the limit scale.
Racklette - nope
Cheesy fondue - nope, just give me the oil one :D

I used to love cheese - a good stilton on portobello mushrooms with cranberry sauce, or Emmental with spinach in an omelette but after a serious case of food poisoning from a Chinese takeaway around 2009 it seems my body just doesn't like cheese or milk. Although I've never been keen on cream, even as a kid.

Caporegime
OP
What else are you putting in the carbonara? Pecorino is a sheep cheese so shouldn't be causing a problem if you are lactose intolerant - I also suffer from lactose intolerance and goat/sheep cheese is ok for me.

Could it be a milk protein allergy/intolerance instead as this may also explain the reaction to lactofree in larger intakes?

Appreciate you may have thought of all of this already though - from personal experience I know how much of a pain it can be trying to figure out what to eat and what to avoid.

Yeah I found it weird peccorino effects me (yolk, pecrorrino pepper salt) I didn't know about the protein thing I shall check into that!

Soldato
So until then what are your best alternatives/substitutions or tollarable things?

Back when I had to be careful with milk I found evaporated milk (specifically Carnation) okay. Apparently it's treated to a higher temperature which breaks down some extra proteins.

Soldato
Had to go dairy free after discovering our daughter had CMPA (thankfully now grown out of). It’s rubbish and decent substitutes are few and far between, sorry.

Oatly barista is tolerable in tea, coffee and on cereal but only just. Switching to almond milk for porridge is something that stuck and I quite like the slightly salted taste.

The coconut collaborative chocolate pots are quite nice and very rich. Dairy free “ice cream” is one of the easier things to get right it seems and there were a few which were good, never tried the oatly one though.

Cheese - forget it. Vegan cheese is the worst.

Back
Top Bottom