the minefield of picking a new monitor... guru help needed plz! :)

Soldato
Hi guys,

im going to get a new GPU soon so will look at upgrading my monitor too. but things have moved a lot since i got this one :D (a crappy old AOC 28" 1080p)

i think my aim is to play 120fps (or over 100 anyway) on something around the size of a 32" screen.

since its mainly for gaming, and my work stuff like photoshop and sketchup would something other than 16:9 be better? i quite liked the old 16:10 we used to have. not sure if the extra wide ones are any better for my needs than just a bigger screen in general as i do watch some media on here too. and are curved worth it? this PC is in my conservatory where it can get a bit bright at times. so whatever a screen with good anti glare is probably worth looking at?

now, im not sure yet which GPU route to take. AMD 6900xt or something like a 3070ti so i guess that will depend on g-sync or freesync but to be honest i have never used those anyway so am a bit unsure about them, and i read some are g-sync compatible which is different, arghhh :D

anyway, ramblings over, any advice appreciated.

Associate
doh, i'd say around the 500 mark but could stretch more if i can see a benefit. not really fixed. i dont have a grand plus tho to blow on one of the ones i really want haha.

500 is actually a really decent budget for a second hand screen, I got a x34 for 400 a few years ago second hand and absolutely still love it. If you're going new then I'd be looking at spending a bit more and getting 4k.

Soldato
OP
500 is actually a really decent budget for a second hand screen, I got a x34 for 400 a few years ago second hand and absolutely still love it. If you're going new then I'd be looking at spending a bit more and getting 4k.
problem is then im going to need a 3090 or something to get 120+fps at 4k arent i? especially with battlefield being so badly optimised usually. :D but im open to suggestions. 4k would give me more resolution for work stuff too.
plus i am generally a bit wary of some 2nd hand stuff. dead pixel issues etc

Soldato
Minefield indeed if trying to get good 100+Hz 4K monitor with current models all having deficiencies/problems in at least one area or another...
Hopefully panels AUO should have in production now or soon finally bring mature products into market.
(current AUO 4K panels are otherwise good but response times are outdated by many years)

For consistently high fps in gaming 2560x1440 would be better, but for "photoshopping" etc graphics work and anykind design work it's clear step below.
Even with high end graphics card like 6900 XT you'll need to use tweaking game settings and/or use scaling in the heaviest games.

Anyway for that budget you're not going to get 3840x2160 monitor with high refresh rate.

Associate
Hi guys,

im going to get a new GPU soon so will look at upgrading my monitor too. but things have moved a lot since i got this one :D (a crappy old AOC 28" 1080p)

i think my aim is to play 120fps (or over 100 anyway) on something around the size of a 32" screen.

since its mainly for gaming, and my work stuff like photoshop and sketchup would something other than 16:9 be better? i quite liked the old 16:10 we used to have. not sure if the extra wide ones are any better for my needs than just a bigger screen in general as i do watch some media on here too. and are curved worth it? this PC is in my conservatory where it can get a bit bright at times. so whatever a screen with good anti glare is probably worth looking at?

now, im not sure yet which GPU route to take. AMD 6900xt or something like a 3070ti so i guess that will depend on g-sync or freesync but to be honest i have never used those anyway so am a bit unsure about them, and i read some are g-sync compatible which is different, arghhh :D

anyway, ramblings over, any advice appreciated.

Wait for Black Friday - There will be some good deals.. You want to be aiming for a 32" 1440p panel IMO -- The Gigabyte/Aorus ones are the ones to look out for!

Soldato
OP
Wait for Black Friday - There will be some good deals.. You want to be aiming for a 32" 1440p panel IMO -- The Gigabyte/Aorus ones are the ones to look out for!

the deals in uk always seem to suck compared to my mates in the USA. they can like buy a TV for $10 and we usually get 5% off the crap they cant sell all year :D
thats also a week after the BF launch, not sure i can wait that long. will have to wait a little longer now tho as i just blew 500quid on some gadgets for my djing yesterday haha.

Soldato
The LG ones are supposed to be pretty good (34gn850 I think is the current top end one) but QC and warranty potentially lacking from what i've heard. I'm not sure about any specific ones of the current lot to be honest, but can highly recommend the form factor

Associate
the deals in uk always seem to suck compared to my mates in the USA. they can like buy a TV for $10 and we usually get 5% off the crap they cant sell all year :D
thats also a week after the BF launch, not sure i can wait that long. will have to wait a little longer now tho as i just blew 500quid on some gadgets for my djing yesterday haha.

it's not always the case that the UK deals are bad - You have to remember that the US deals don't include tax so once you have any state taxes on top, the UK deal might be better..

Soldato
Register it with The manufacturer and you usually get the full warranty.
Even if you don't register it with manufacturer
I have had monitor replacement
Before simply by the serial number proving it was made
Within the warranty period
Person I got the monitor from died so no receipt either
And £530 B grade I would be offering lot less than £500
More like £425 and hope for £450 counter offer
Going by previous B grade monitors I have bought
Which were I have to say immaculate
Still had the plastic on them
And still working perfectly

Back