LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
When running the cx at 3840x1600 can you move the screen used down to the bottom of the TV and have basically 2 black bars worth at the top?
Can't do it on my 40" 4k samsung but seen you can on some tvs, would be very useful for me

Soldato
When running the cx at 3840x1600 can you move the screen used down to the bottom of the TV and have basically 2 black bars worth at the top?
Can't do it on my 40" 4k samsung but seen you can on some tvs, would be very useful for me

Not that I know of. I do need to move mine on the wall mount to lower it another coulple of cms. Could you perhaps do that? so although the picture is still in the middle of the TV, the TV sits lower down?

Associate
Not that I know of. I do need to move mine on the wall mount to lower it another coulple of cms. Could you perhaps do that? so although the picture is still in the middle of the TV, the TV sits lower down?

It was more so I could change it depending on what I'm doing, eg lower it for using sim wheel.
It's not a deal breaker but I seen another TV that can do it and thought it was a great feature and no reason it can't be on every TV.
Wasn't sure if lg oled's could or not.

Associate
My desk is 65cm deep, and the TV sits 10cm off the wall. My desk is slightly off the wall as well, so I'd say from TV to my eye balls is approx 60cm.

I have zero issues with it. Simply none! Now the weird thing is, this isn't the first time I've tried using a TV as a monitor. Last year I tried a 40" Samsung 4K and hated it, so it went into the bedroom. It was just too big and it hurt my eyes.

This though, despite being 8" bigger, is fine. Don't ask me how or why, but I have no issues with it. I'm using it full screen 4K at the minute, and the clarity is as good as I've seen on a monitor and I've had a lot over the years!! Think I'll switch back to 3840x1620 as I prefer the wider screen, but good to have the choice.

Picture quality....well, it's OLED so it's gorgeous. The good news for me at least is I have no eyestrain, it 'feels' relaxing to use....again, don't ask me how on something this big!

Cheers for the insight. Might doable with my desk as I have 80cm depth. Gonna keep an eye for black friday deals with this monitor. It will be a big jump from 27 to 48 if do decide to get this TV.

Associate
I too thought that, but check out these dimmensions

OLED (107cm wide / 44cm high) <- in wide resolution
Samsung CRG9 (193cm wide / 33cm high)

It's not anywhere near as bad as you think. If there was an ultrawide OLED monitor I would have bought that, but considering this is £1k for a 120hz OLED with G-Sync I was sold :D

Not bothered about the pixel wear, I won't notice it. Can't see me ever using 16:9, and fair enough, that would probably be too big for my viewing distance. If it goes bad, and I change my mind I'll simply have to sell it cheap/bin it and buy a new one.

I've been bitten by the ultrawide bug, can't go back now.

I don't see your point over you was sold by OLED spending over 1K isn't cheap for an OLED TV just to play 21:9 aspect ratio letter box gaming bug but if you GPU can't handle 4k 16.9 full screen than play letter box that's your choice, but don't be fooled by you won't get burn -in because of the top and bottom been a black colour it got nothing to do with it.

Soldato
I don't see your point over you was sold by OLED spending over 1K isn't cheap for an OLED TV just to play 21:9 aspect ratio letter box gaming bug but if you GPU can't handle 4k 16.9 full screen than play letter box that's your choice, but don't be fooled by you won't get burn -in because of the top and bottom been a black colour it got nothing to do with it.

I have a 3080ti, I just prefer 21:9 gaming

Who's saying I won't get burn in? :confused: I'm saying if I do, it won't bother me.

The only thing which may sway me to 16:9 if I was to buy another two and run triple screens on a racing sim rig. I'm more than happy at the minute though :D

Soldato
Hah gamermuscle posted a vid other day with triple OLED simrig setup. Looked absolutely ridiculous :p As for the size I have the 55" edition on my desk and 21:9 works well in competitive shooters but since I have had it since January I am pretty used to the silly size of it even full screen 16:9 (shoulda probably got the 48 though ;))

More fps in certain games such as shooters also helps regardless of GPU so not sure why other guy is giving you a hard time about it. If I run in to burn in problems in the future TV will be relegated to TV/Movies and hopefully will be some decent monitors to choose from by then.

Associate
I have a 3080ti, I just prefer 21:9 gaming Who's saying I won't get burn in? :confused: I'm saying if I do, it won't bother me.:D

3080TI no problem then. if it don't brother you that's ok your choice. Just adding my opinion:D

Hah gamermuscle posted a vid other day with triple OLED simrig setup. Looked absolutely ridiculous :p As for the size I have the 55" edition on my desk and 21:9 works well in competitive shooters but since I have had it since January I am pretty used to the silly size of it even full screen 16:9 (shoulda probably got the 48 though ;))More fps in certain games such as shooters also helps regardless of GPU so not sure why other guy is giving you a hard time about it.

I too have 55CX for gaming but a letter box gaming on 55/65 big screen no, might look ok on a small 48/42 OLED and I'm just vice my opinions on what I know:p talking about a triple OLED setup only if you play racing games.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh that triple setup looks so sweet! It clearly works with games, but outside of it, you'll run into any sort of annoyances just due to ASBL alone.
Have you ever run a multi-monitor setup puzzling together your new screen with old ones without having a calibrating device? Why does everything look so different?!
VERY fluctuating brightness alone should turn people off in a regular desktop environment. I've been following Barnacules' attempt to switch to 3x 48C1 and it didn't work out for him.

Has anybody been wild enough to go for something like the 77Z1 just yet? 8K at 77" or more feels like that may just be the proper size without having to go through scaling.
Everything in a window, just move around where you need it. At roughly 170cm width and 33cm depth and and 42kg this monster has trouble fitting on a desk or wall though, which is a small issue compared to the price.

Soldato
Can you 'move' the portion of the screen used? It seems like if it slowly bounced around the screen over the course of hours it'd be great for avoiding burn in?

No you can't. The best you can do is use a plain black wallpaper, and use a piece of software from the MS store called TranslucentTB (which is awesome btw). You can change pretty much anything on the taskbar including (as the name suggets) making it transparent.

It actually looks pretty awesome.

That at least helps on the desktop.

wcB7e6g.jpg

Associate
3x 48C1 and it didn't work out for him. Has anybody been wild enough to go for something like the 77Z1 just yet? 8K at 77" or more feels like that may just be the proper size without having to go through scaling.
Everything in a window, just move around where you need it. At roughly 170cm width and 33cm depth and and 42kg this monster has trouble fitting on a desk or wall though, which is a small issue compared to the price.

There have been a few triple OLED setups but only with 55/48, because they are cheaper compare to the LG Z1 88inch cost £29,999.98:eek: Anyway if you win the lottery then you can buy all 3x 77inch setup total price £89,999.94 then post it here:D

Can you 'move' the portion of the screen used? It seems like if it slowly bounced around the screen over the course of hours it'd be great for avoiding burn in?

The only way to avoid Burn - in is UI Static in games is to low the brightness on the UI it self most old/modern games but not all can be lowered or turn off, this is the problem with OLED static there are some features in the OLED that can help but only at 20%:)

Last edited:
Associate
There have been a few triple OLED setups but only with 55/48, because they are cheaper compare to the LG Z1 77inch cost £29,999.98:eek: and Imagine pay for that price and only playing 21:9 aspect ratio letter box gaming the black bars top & bottom would be soo huge. Anyway if you win the lottery then you can buy all 3x 77inch setup total price £89,999.94 then post it here:D

Oh no those two things are unrelated. At some point I wondered what it would be like to actually run a UHD2/8K desktop resolution and single screen, just like when UHD came out. I jumped on the Samsung U28D590D then.
Of course they are cheaper. It's UHD vs UHD2.

If I ever won the lottery, it would likely be a 88Z1 then. Screw those couple extra EUR. Eh wait what? O.o 30K quid for the 77Z1? I'm usually heading over to Geizhals.de just for price comparisons, a DE/AT version of something like ************.
77Z1 starts around 12K EUR, 88Z1 around 20K. At screw you money levels and a triple setup I'd likely go with 3x88C1 though. 8K triples are probably very nice but what kind of GPU setup would you need for that? Development will take years to catch up.

Associate
Oh no those two things are unrelated. At some point I wondered what it would be like to actually run a UHD2/8K desktop resolution and single screen, just like when UHD came out. I jumped on the Samsung U28D590D then.
Of course they are cheaper. It's UHD vs UHD2.

If I ever won the lottery, it would likely be a 88Z1 then. Screw those couple extra EUR. Eh wait what? O.o 30K quid for the 77Z1? I'm usually heading over to Geizhals.de just for price comparisons, a DE/AT version of something like ************.
77Z1 starts around 12K EUR, 88Z1 around 20K. At screw you money levels and a triple setup I'd likely go with 3x88C1 though. 8K triples are probably very nice but what kind of GPU setup would you need for that? Development will take years to catch up.

That price I quota for the 77Z1 was my mistake.

The 77Z1, 8K is £19,999.98 on LG website and the 88Z1, 8K £29,999.99 as for the 77C1, only 4K £3,499.98 the 83C1 again only 4K £5,499.99 you would need a powerful GPU to run it @8K triples

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom