• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
Of course they're the same SKU... they are both 6/12 both 65w TDP and both have the same cooler but because AMD put an X on the end it must be the replacement for the 3600X which is a 95w part. Please don't fall for the marketing as I'm sure you certainly wouldn't if Intel pulled that trick.

Yep. The Ryzen 5 5600X has the same 65W TDP and even the same Wraith Stealth cooler as the Ryzen 5 3600. So realistically it was the Ryzen 5 3600 replacement,but AMD knew they were onto a winner. I knew this day was coming,as I remember the Athlon 64 days,when AMD was on a winner and priced it as high as they could. At that point I just held onto my Athlon XP for a bit longer until mainstream dual cores appeared.

What I blame is all the people who bought the Core i5 K series at £250~£300(which created the overpriced 6 core CPU segment),who then bought the Ryzen 5 5600X at that price too. I OTH refused to do,so managed to get hold of a Ryzen 7 3700X for just over £200(when the Ryzen 5 5600X was £280~£300 at retailers),and a Core i5 10400(the one with an IGP) for just over £100.

At this point if Intel,AMD,etc want to overprice their new CPUs,then I will just wait for a few years. I survived on socket 1155 for nearly 7 years,so I can wait a few years on what I have now.

Associate
This is why they've been forced to use little cores. No power left for more performance cores. Not sure these are going to be that impressive when the full picture comes to light.

The jury is still out as there have been no reviews. You could argue that as software becomes more multithreaded, a hybrid architecture makes sense. By which I mean a balance between high power ST and optimised MT.
From my point of view, it feels like Alder lake might be a kind of beta test of new technologies, but I would say that it's unfair to base opinions on 'leaks' of overclocked variants. A better comparison would be stock like for like IPC, which simply isn't possible right now.

It's a bit like years ago when some reviewers said Radeon GPUs were rubbish because of max furmark draws. Yes fine, given a certain set of parameters, it will draw a lot of power, but is that a typical use case? Why would anyone overclock a processor by 100hz for a 100W increase?

Anyway, it may well be a pile of ****, let's see.

Soldato
G.SKILL Announces World’s Fastest DDR5-6600 CL36 Trident Z5 Memory Kits

https://videocardz.com/press-release/g-skill-announces-ddr5-6600-cl36-trident-z5-overclocked-memory

Good news for Alder-Lake, I wonder if we'll see > 850 cpuz single thread scores with this tier of memory!

Hopefully AMD manage to release AM5 next year so they too can get 'free' IPC improvements from DDR5, let the games begin!

It’s false advertising. AMD get 20% free IPC this year. Next year god knows what AMD will have.

Soldato
OP
He disappeared right after Rocket Lake launched because after that got reviewed it turned out to be a damp squib, Dave had been just as insufferable over hyping it before it landed like a wet fart.

and for a while after rocket lake launched, Dave was spouting stuff like "the performance will kill amd in the next bios!" And "memory latency will be super low in the next bios!l"

He's still waiting for this mythical bios that magically makes rocket lake run 20% faster in games

Caporegime
and for a while after rocket lake launched, Dave was spouting stuff like "the performance will kill amd in the next bios!" And "memory latency will be super low in the next bios!l"

He's still waiting for this mythical bios that magically makes rocket lake run 20% faster in games

Oh yeah we never did get that magical microcode update he promised. Poor chap.

His move from needing his ultimate gaming CPU to CPUs don't matter at 4K is a pretty big turn around too. Not sure there's any value in his input.

Soldato
OP
From MSI's product manager: There is always a premium attached to new DDR technology at launch and for some time after. We're seeing DDR5 attract a 60% price premium over DDR4 and it will take 2 years for the price premium to flatten. This premium is higher than the 40% premium seen when DDR4 was launched, this is due to DDR5 requiring additional components to manufacture

Soldato
From MSI's product manager: There is always a premium attached to new DDR technology at launch and for some time after. We're seeing DDR5 attract a 60% price premium over DDR4 and it will take 2 years for the price premium to flatten. This premium is higher than the 40% premium seen when DDR4 was launched, this is due to DDR5 requiring additional components to manufacture
That suits me fine as I'm not planning to upgrade for another 2 years so hopefully by then we'll also have the 10000mhz stuff and know which ICs overclock the best.

What will be interesting though is if raptorlake still supports DDR4 as from what I've heard Zen4 will be solely DDR5 so may make it a costly upgrade vs Intel although I'm sure the usual suspects will have changed their tune by then and think DDR5 is the best thing since sliced bread and totally worth the premium.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
But Intel 7 manufacturing is the bestest, 330 Watts.... that's more than 40 Watt's per core, not that far from a whole 5600X.

at this point the process node doesn't matter much

the reason they can fit on 8 little cores is because of Intel 7 but that's it - Intel 7 can't make an inefficient architecture performance cores more efficient.

Intel's Core architecture was designed for quad core CPUs with hyperthreading. That is why any Intel CPU since 2008 that has more than 4 cores with HT is a power hog (notice how there have been several new process nodes since 2008 and yet no reduction in power hogging) and there is nothing Intel can do about it until they throw the architecture away and build a new one.

The only saving grace is that Intel is at least working on a new architecture and Raptor Lake should be the end and retirement for what will be a 15 year old architecture. Unless of course Intels ***** up their new architecture and has to delay it and continue to launch rubbish after Raptor lake

Last edited:
Soldato

the reason they can fit on 8 little cores is because of Intel 7 but that's it - Intel 7 can't make an inefficient architecture performance cores more efficient.

Intel's Core architecture was designed for quad core CPUs with hyperthreading. That is why any Intel CPU since 2008 that has more than 4 cores with HT is a power hog (notice how there have been several new process nodes since 2008 and yet no reduction in power hogging) and there is nothing Intel can do about it until they throw the architecture away and build a new one.

The only saving grace is that Intel is at least working on a new architecture and Raptor Lake should be the end and retirement for what will be a 15 year old architecture. Unless of course Intels ***** up their new architecture and has to delay it and continue to launch rubbish after Raptor lake

It’s supposedly Panther cove and on that brings Intel back into contention.

Caporegime

I thought Rocket Lake was supposed to bring Intel back in to contention?

Soldato
I just don't understand how so many people got these CPUs now but we have no real gaming leaks, only trash synthetics. Bleah!
I don't remember their being many gaming leaks before Zen3 even though there was CPUs floating around on a certain site here in the UK a couple of weeks before release.

Soldato
It's not the Alder Lake leaks you need to be waiting for anyhow, it's the 3D-Cache AMD parts, since those leaks will start as soon as you see any numbers about Alder Lake, ultimately if they are both as good as each other, AMD may weirdly be on the positive side still as opposed to have to play catch up.

Soldato
I just don't understand how so many people got these CPUs now but we have no real gaming leaks, only trash synthetics. Bleah!

People are probably struggling to get games running on Alderlake. Intel will need to do a lot hand holding for the Alderlake design TBH.

Back
Top Bottom