• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 TDP “normalised”?

Associate
TDP Going Over 100%?

The TDP of my 3080 always stays under 100% when monitored with afterburner with the overlay. Decided to install HWINFO and ive seen there is a normalised Tab aswell as the normal “TDP” tab that never gets above 100% however the normalised one, this is showing as high as 115 %

My card is a 3080 vision OC 370W Card. I was checking new world as im sure youve all heard or seen the jayz2cent video where he sets the power and it goes above 100% to something like 120% however mines not doing this at all. Afterburner reports 100% maximum and it’s pretty steady.

The TDP normalised however on new world will be up to 115%

however when running heaven for example the TDP normalised only gets to 102%.

Why for example when TDP is at 98% on new world does the normalised value register near 115%. But when running benchmarks the TDP is also 98% but the normalised figure is only 103%?

Associate
“TDP” tab that never gets above 100% however the normalised one, this is showing as high as 115 %
My card is a 3080 vision OC 370W Card
370W is 115% of 320W (stock TDP for 3080).
I'm guessing HWinfo uses that TDP for normalisation, to inform that you are already at 115% power of stock card?
And then in Heaven it simply uses less power, no raytracing.

As for when 98% power limit sometimes registers as 103% sometimes as 115%... Maybe fluctuations from measurements t different time intervals?
Don't think it is a case of New World cardkiller bug.

Associate
Normalized TDP is from any individual power rail, whether exposed to NVAPI or hidden, including the rails powering Core and Uncore voltage, with whichever rail reaches or exceeds its default or maximum value by a greater degree than any other rail (not in raw watts/amps but in amount or degree of "overshoot"). It has no relation to regular TDP (which is all 8 pins + PCIE Slot power).
Unlike TDP%, Normalized TDP will not respond to the TDP slider below 100% and will not throttle below 100%, but will respond to the slider past 100%, if the vbios has a "default" and "maximum" value embedded for any particular sub-rail. It will override TDP% throttling if it hits 100% before TDP does (unless the slider goes past 100%).

The most common reason for hitting a high TDP Normalized is a low memory power rail or low PCIE Slot power rail limit. Cards with a 480W or higher TDP can run into NVVDD or MSVDD rail power limits. (Only the Kingpin 1kw bios removes all internal power rail limits).

Back
Top Bottom