Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Associate
Slightly unusual request, but I'm looking for a smartwatch with the biggest possible stopwatch font size (if that's how you'd describe it). Purely because I don't want to have to take my reading glasses when I go for a run :). I had a cheap and cheerful (non-smart) watch that I used for this that has just given up the ghost, but have been on the verge of buying a smartwatch anyway. I was thinking along the lines of a Huwaei, but the font size on the stop watch is just too small. No issues with wearing my glasses at any other time, just find it a pain when I'm running.

Soldato
I'm thinking of purchasing a SGW4 for the other half, but I'm not sure if this is the best, most comprehensive for the price, do other brands work as well or better with a GS9?

Secondly I guess I'd like opinions on whether they are a fad that doesn't always get used, she does wear a watch so this would be a handy replacement but wondering if £250 would be better spent else where if they just fall by the way side after the a few months usage.

Lastly can you use these without a sim deal or is it not worth it? What sort of range from the phone are they capable of? I assume when it comes to music that they basically just bluetoothed everything, but now I'm not sure if the phone is meant to be basically a clone.

Any advice welcome.

Associate
Did the latest update fix the Gmail notification problem?
I've started to get Gmail notifications through now so maybe it's sorted, I'm still waiting for the favourite contacts to be fixed, it shows 4 of your favourites but has their names straight through the middle of the picture instead of underneath, no biggy but still annoying as the original Galaxy Watch was fine.

Associate
I've started to get Gmail notifications through now so maybe it's sorted, I'm still waiting for the favourite contacts to be fixed, it shows 4 of your favourites but has their names straight through the middle of the picture instead of underneath, no biggy but still annoying as the original Galaxy Watch was fine.

Do you get Gmail sounds & vibration on the watch?

Soldato
New update rolling out in Germany 477mb firmware ending DUJA so we should get that mid November in UK :rolleyes:

Samsung is rolling out firmware version R8xxXXU1DUJA for the Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 4 Classic. The update has only been rolled out in South Korea so far. It won’t be long before the update is released elsewhere.

It brings several new watch faces to choose from on these best Samsung smartwatches. The company has also made it possible to choose a GIF as a My Photo+ watch face. New animations have also been added for watch faces.

A new gesture control has been added that lets you launch favorite apps or features. Previously, gestures could only be used to receive and reject calls or to dismiss alarms. The heart rate and stress tracking features have also been improved. Samsung has also made it possible to adjust the sensitivity of the fall detection feature in order to make it more effective.

More info
https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-watch-4-big-software-update-details/

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just ordered the TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra. It has a decent face size, is robust as well as looks robust.

The Gear 4 looks a bit "bland" and weak to me. Just my opinion.

Soldato
Does anyone know how to backup the watch faces on the Watch 4?

Thanks

You can't at moment but new update will allow you too

Look about about 3rd way down

LT95QNh.png

LT95QNh.png

Soldato
Has anyone got the TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra yet? I've had mine a couple of days and I cannot make calls from it. Each time I do the call gets forced to my phone.... That's when making calls as well as receiving them.

It's pairs with a razer phone 2 on Android 9.

Associate
Has anyone got the TicWatch Pro 3 Ultra yet? I've had mine a couple of days and I cannot make calls from it. Each time I do the call gets forced to my phone.... That's when making calls as well as receiving them.

It's pairs with a razer phone 2 on Android 9.

Doing a quick google. This is a very common problem. throughout the entire ticWatch line up since 2018.
Plenty of Reddit posts and the Mobvoi community forums.

"This function is only available when the watch is paired to an Android phone, and not an iOS device. For Android users, please complete the following steps:

1. Please open the ""Phone"" app on your watch. You should see a message to switch on Bluetooth. Once Bluetooth is switched on and the watch is connected to your phone, you should be able to receive phone calls.

2. Go to Settings -> Connectivity -> Bluetooth, and ensure that you enable ""play phone voice call on the watch"".

3. Please ensure that your phone is not connected to any other Bluetooth devices, otherwise the watch may be unable to receive calls from the phone.

No idea if this will help and even effects the new line up.
Hope it helps.

Soldato
Doing a quick google. This is a very common problem. throughout the entire ticWatch line up since 2018.
Plenty of Reddit posts and the Mobvoi community forums.

"This function is only available when the watch is paired to an Android phone, and not an iOS device. For Android users, please complete the following steps:

1. Please open the ""Phone"" app on your watch. You should see a message to switch on Bluetooth. Once Bluetooth is switched on and the watch is connected to your phone, you should be able to receive phone calls.

2. Go to Settings -> Connectivity -> Bluetooth, and ensure that you enable ""play phone voice call on the watch"".

3. Please ensure that your phone is not connected to any other Bluetooth devices, otherwise the watch may be unable to receive calls from the phone.

No idea if this will help and even effects the new line up.
Hope it helps.
Cheers. I've done all that and still the same. Very annoying. I get the phone specifically to be able to make calls hands free while I work

Back
Top Bottom